Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2010, 03:48 PM
zdg

845 posts, read 1,972,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I suppose - but I myself would think it would be more difficult to raise children in Manhattan than here.

I think in El Paso there's a lot to do for young kids but it's not all the cultural stuff - but here they can swim, play sports, ride bikes, hike, ride horses, camping up in the nearby mountains. There are things we have that Manhattan doesn't have or that wouldn't be very affordable.
Sorry, Malamute, just saw this for the first time.

Having lived in Manhattan for a year now, I can absolutely assure you that it's significantly easier to raise a child here than it was in El Paso. My kid has infinitely more access to swimming, sports, hikes, and camping in the CENTRALly located PARK 30 feet from our apartment than I had in El Paso. And I grew up swimming and camping all summer.

It's the other stuff we have access to here that I never would have had in a billion years in El Paso as a kid. I'm not sure how having access to more stuff would make it more difficult to raise a child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 10:49 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,026,260 times
I just moved back to Houston. Weather is horrible here but I'll take everything else. I won't miss EL Paso but it was a great learning experience. Made me realize how much I missed my family and taking the boat out on weekends. Also my car loves a 10ft ASL over the 4,000ft in EP with a terrible DA.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:55 AM

3 posts, read 10,119 times
I left 9 years ago, and I have to move back. Not once did I regret leaving and I am not that excited to go back there. You do what you have to do.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:58 AM

3 posts, read 10,119 times
I want to go somewhere and raise my children someplace that they would come back to after going off to college. Unfortunately, I don't think El Paso has enough to offer kids, especially in the teen years.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:50 PM

3 posts, read 5,335 times
i lived in el paso on & off from 72-97. moved to phoenix in 97 for a better job (so i thought). its funny that a city on the Mexican border is safer that one 150 miles n of the border. Phoenix weather is great from late oct to mid april but, for some reason Phoenix moves 2 feet from the sun the rest of the year (ha ha). i went to el paso earlier this year & was sad to see that Hacienda is closed. But i sure like Avila's, Delicious & Big Bun.

Old 10-11-2010, 03:46 PM

194 posts, read 440,375 times
I thought Avila's was closed too? I was in El Paso a couple weeks ago for a job interview, and I saw that Big Bun was still open downtown.

I left El Paso last summer for law school. I have no regrets. Austin is a much nicer place to live. The weather isn't as nice here, and the cost of living is slightly higher, but Austin has far more opportunities. Plus, Austin offers a lot more to do, so the quality of life here is much better.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:34 PM

643 posts, read 1,313,500 times
I contemplated leaving El Paso, but have recently reconsidered. I planned on moving to Houston since I travel quite a bit there on business. The thought was that it would be a better place to raise my children. More museums, events, better schools. I live in a great district and my children will be going to some of the best schools in El Paso.
I am going to put my efforts into bringing something more enjoyable to El Paso. I wish more students graduating and leaving El Paso would do the same. The weather is great and we have very little natural disasters other than the dust storms. We as a community need to give back if we want to make it better. Sorry for the rant, folks.

Old 10-14-2010, 05:53 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,137,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCCW View Post
I contemplated leaving El Paso, but have recently reconsidered. I planned on moving to Houston since I travel quite a bit there on business. The thought was that it would be a better place to raise my children. More museums, events, better schools. I live in a great district and my children will be going to some of the best schools in El Paso.
I am going to put my efforts into bringing something more enjoyable to El Paso. I wish more students graduating and leaving El Paso would do the same. The weather is great and we have very little natural disasters other than the dust storms. We as a community need to give back if we want to make it better. Sorry for the rant, folks.
No, it was a good post. You had some complaints but you didn't cross your arms and cry about it. El Paso isn't perfect.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:25 AM

21 posts, read 82,718 times
Can't wait to leave! El Paso is behind in many fields and I am excited to get moving into a more progressive area. Traffic is horrible, I don't understand why they drive so freaking slow especially the cars with chihuahua plates. Shopping isn't much fun because all the people from across the border shop and shop til the racks are bare for the local people. For families and children it is a horrible place too, the schools are not that great at all and they don't seem to care much about non-hispanic/mexican families in the area. Have met a lot of nice and friendly people, but also a lot of rude and bitter mexicans (no clue why). The sun is nice but it gets too freaking hot during the summer and the horrible winds..OMG

I never had allergies in my life until I moved to EP. Two years of EP has been long enough, my family and I are ready to leave this dustbowl behind.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:39 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,137,412 times
I think your decision to leave will be good for everyone involved (including locals and Mexicans). Good choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso