Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2011, 05:30 PM

147 posts, read 308,816 times

Advertisements

I left in 1973 to join the Army and I was stationed in Monterey, CA. I finally graduated from CSU, LA and got a job working with the state of California. I was able to transfer to Salinas. CA and stayed there until 1989. I moved back to El Paso and got a job working with the State of Texas in Dallas. Texas. I got another transfer to South Texas. I never acclimated to the high humidity there. In 2001, I transferred to El Paso and I have been here ever since. The only recent negative I see is that traffic is getting very congested now that the Mexican nationals and soldiers stationed in Fort Bliss are moving here. I retire this year and will have to make a decision whether or not I will stay. Great place to grow up in and a great place to die in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 09:09 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,426,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgste View Post
I left in 1973 to join the Army and I was stationed in Monterey, CA. I finally graduated from CSU, LA and got a job working with the state of California. I was able to transfer to Salinas. CA and stayed there until 1989. I moved back to El Paso and got a job working with the State of Texas in Dallas. Texas. I got another transfer to South Texas. I never acclimated to the high humidity there. In 2001, I transferred to El Paso and I have been here ever since. The only recent negative I see is that traffic is getting very congested now that the Mexican nationals and soldiers stationed in Fort Bliss are moving here. I retire this year and will have to make a decision whether or not I will stay. Great place to grow up in and a great place to die in.
Yes the traffic is getting to be a huge negative in my opinion. The only option is to destroy more of the mountain, and it seems that is in the plan and too bad because that mountain was a big positive.

The high taxes may become too much a negative to counter the great weather here. They're talking tax increases for just about everything - for some reason the very large population growth doesn't seem to be increasing revenues enough.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:14 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,422,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes the traffic is getting to be a huge negative in my opinion. The only option is to destroy more of the mountain, and it seems that is in the plan and too bad because that mountain was a big positive.

The high taxes may become too much a negative to counter the great weather here. They're talking tax increases for just about everything - for some reason the very large population growth doesn't seem to be increasing revenues enough.
The population is increasing, the tax base not so much.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:21 AM

6 posts, read 12,578 times
I lived in El Paso twice. Once in the 70's and then again from 1996 to 2005. I moved back to the South (Georgia/Tennessee) for many reasons. Employment in El Paso is limited for a good income. The town had many businesses close with NAFTA. Education in public schools is below average. I missed seeing seasons changing and green grass along with water. Property taxes were 3 times what I am paying now and I just didn't see where the money was being spent. Now being about an hour from Atlanta I have all the cultural that I could want and so many things to do all the time.

My biggest complaint about El Paso is the lack of city pride. There is so much history there and yet as a tourist I think I knew more about the town and it's history than the locals. I wish the city leaders would invest more in the downtown and make it safe to walk around and shop at night. People litter without regard and just don't seem to care about touting the cities positive things. Having been used to hearing "Yes Mam/Sir" all my life, I found that manners were lacking.

The sunsets are great and there is nothing like seeing a rain storm come in over the desert. Local restaruant fare is great (State Line) but not enough variety. And with Jauarez which used to great to go to in the 70's, now you are taking your life in your hands. Drugs, crime and gangs are out of control. Too isolated to go many places in a 3 hour radius.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:40 AM

643 posts, read 1,306,435 times
kderrick, it's obvious you have not been here in a while. Things have changed.

Old 12-05-2011, 02:48 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,903,896 times
Yeah, things have changed in El Paso.. I came back in 1990 with great expectations of the town I left in 1972. I was shocked and dismayed to find a completely changed city. El Paso is no longer the big city with small town hospitality. It's just another big city now. The draw for me was always the people. I may as well live in Dallas now.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:53 PM

13 posts, read 22,239 times
You have got to be kidding. El Paso is a city that only a mother could love. The downtown is straight out of the third world. Nothing but Asian-owned dollar stores. Night life? You are kidding right? And the weather. Nice and dry and some beautiful desert days but the dust storms. And of course the people. Nobody moves to El Paso of their own free will. El Paso is where dreams go to die. El Paso is okay if you have never been anywhere else. El Paso is a city of 700,000 with, get this: no Whole Foods, No Trader Joe's, No awesome co-ops or farmer's markets (unless you count the ones on the edge of civilization. If you love strip malls, a massive military base and a totally crappy downtown - El Paso is the place for you. If you haven't been here, do not, I repeat, do not come. Pass th old El Paso. I spent a month there one night.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:57 PM

Default You are right on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kderrick View Post
I lived in El Paso twice. Once in the 70's and then again from 1996 to 2005. I moved back to the South (Georgia/Tennessee) for many reasons. Employment in El Paso is limited for a good income. The town had many businesses close with NAFTA. Education in public schools is below average. I missed seeing seasons changing and green grass along with water. Property taxes were 3 times what I am paying now and I just didn't see where the money was being spent. Now being about an hour from Atlanta I have all the cultural that I could want and so many things to do all the time.

My biggest complaint about El Paso is the lack of city pride. There is so much history there and yet as a tourist I think I knew more about the town and it's history than the locals. I wish the city leaders would invest more in the downtown and make it safe to walk around and shop at night. People litter without regard and just don't seem to care about touting the cities positive things. Having been used to hearing "Yes Mam/Sir" all my life, I found that manners were lacking.

The sunsets are great and there is nothing like seeing a rain storm come in over the desert. Local restaruant fare is great (State Line) but not enough variety. And with Jauarez which used to great to go to in the 70's, now you are taking your life in your hands. Drugs, crime and gangs are out of control. Too isolated to go many places in a 3 hour radius.

I have never been to a city with less civic pride. El Paso should be celebrating its lawless past. Nope. Nothing. Decent Mexican food and that is it. Chicos, for those who have never been is an absurdity. Imagine a flauta submerged literally in flavored water. I kid you not. Lucy's is great but every major city has a few good things. If you want to gag - head downtown. Yuck with a capital "Y" and an exclamation mark.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:19 PM

643 posts, read 1,306,435 times
Mr. Greenberg, I am so happy that you left our city. I am positive that you find the negatives in all aspects of life. People with your negative attitude/mentality are not conducive to progress. Good riddance!

Old 12-14-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCCW View Post
Mr. Greenberg, I am so happy that you left our city. I am positive that you find the negatives in all aspects of life. People with your negative attitude/mentality are not conducive to progress. Good riddance!
MY husband posted the above comments and I totally agree with him!
My family has a deep long history here (grandfather built Chelmont/ Mina Perdida and Kern).

I was born here. My mother was born here and was my grandmother. We have over 150 years in the city.

This poor town has serious issues. Its a transitional town and nobody cares about. Its has not progressed in almost my 50 years. Matters of fact its regressed.

POOP Alley downtown, ASARCO/with all the lead in the soil, The Rio closed up so now we cant go there ( oh wait they did open up one tiny little area).

Juarez is now a hell hole as with downtown.

The military has sequestered all of the soliders so the local businesses are hurting.
People are mean and the class aspect of Mexico is now here. Rude and nasty.

My mother lives in Kern and so do we ATM and Yes we are only here to help her out and will be leaving ASAP.
Hence the MAIN problem here in good old EP PEOPLE LEAVE as soon as they can! Heck everyone I knew has.

Don't delude yourself TexasCCW this is one of the WORST cities in Texas. Odessa is better Hell Dalhart is better.

But you can continue to delude your self sorry.
( Oh did I mention the city corruption?)

If your planning to move here I would seriously look at the city with truly open eyes. Not blinded by not being able to live and experience anywhere else.

I feel for EP its my was my home but it has been truly raped and destroyed.

I can go on and on...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso