Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2013, 04:50 PM
zdg

845 posts, read 1,965,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve9229 View Post
Thanks for the reply and well wishes! I'll definitely get a job lined up if I decide to go. The last thing I want to do is get there and scrape by!
I give you 3 years before you do what we did and start to realize why we left El Paso for Austin in the first place. I'm not saying you'll go back to Austin (we didn't), but you'll certainly remember why you left El Paso.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 12:24 AM

14 posts, read 20,487 times
I moved to Austin 4 years ago when I was 24. I love El Paso and go back and visit with family and friends every chance I get but Austin is definitely where I need to be right now. The whole young, educated, and healthy ambiance here is right up my alley.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:52 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,781,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 915-512 View Post
I moved to Austin 4 years ago when I was 24. I love El Paso and go back and visit with family and friends every chance I get but Austin is definitely where I need to be right now. The whole young, educated, and healthy ambiance here is right up my alley.
And so your user name reflects that.

I spent most of my life in the 915 area code....and was so ticked off that only El Paso and maybe a few others (I can't remember!) got to keep 915!

If I wanted to live in a city, I would choose EP. There is just something about it.....

Enjoy Austin!

Old 04-30-2013, 03:01 PM

12 posts, read 15,521 times
This is an old post, so where do I begin?
Left ELP in 1982 when I joined the military (Air Force) with the intent of coming back home after four years of service. The fact was that I enjoyed being stationed in in all the different places and countries I was stationed in to service our great nation. Now after 30 years I'm back and I am ready to leave again. What happened? I changed the city changed and the reality check most of the people I know are stuck in a routine that is somewhat boring life style. Work all week and get drunk at L&J's, Bikini Joe's...etc and enjoy talking about their high school past and blah, blah, blah. Setting vector back to Denver, Seattle, or Arlington. There is nothing for me in ELP and it took me 30 years to figure that out.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:34 AM

2,258 posts, read 3,478,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorUSAF View Post
This is an old post, so where do I begin?
Left ELP in 1982 when I joined the military (Air Force) with the intent of coming back home after four years of service. The fact was that I enjoyed being stationed in in all the different places and countries I was stationed in to service our great nation. Now after 30 years I'm back and I am ready to leave again. What happened? I changed the city changed and the reality check most of the people I know are stuck in a routine that is somewhat boring life style. Work all week and get drunk at L&J's, Bikini Joe's...etc and enjoy talking about their high school past and blah, blah, blah. Setting vector back to Denver, Seattle, or Arlington. There is nothing for me in ELP and it took me 30 years to figure that out.
I don't really see you as bashing EP for this, because there is some truth to that. A lot of people around here, even into their 30s and 40s, are all too satisfied working low-wage unskilled jobs, and living for the weekend. Drop the kids off at grandma's, get drunk on Friday and Saturday, recover on Sunday. You'll find these types at local bars like Mavericks, Pockets, etc. No other ambition to grow as a person, and I blame education for this.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:05 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,186,711 times
Default Interesting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus89 View Post
I don't really see you as bashing EP for this, because there is some truth to that. A lot of people around here, even into their 30s and 40s, are all too satisfied working low-wage unskilled jobs, and living for the weekend. Drop the kids off at grandma's, get drunk on Friday and Saturday, recover on Sunday. You'll find these types at local bars like Mavericks, Pockets, etc. No other ambition to grow as a person, and I blame education for this.
Bingo. My own family does, or did this...

In my early teenage years, I was into Queen. There was an obscure song called 'Spread Your Wings', or some variant on the album 'News Of The World' where 'We Will Rock You' was also on. I must have been 13, or 14. Anyway, I was too young to do any of the things you mentioned above, but my older brothers and cousins that I hug out with did exactly that.

I don't know why, but when I listened to the song, I realized I was headed for the life that the song was talking about. There is a line about a kid named Sammy having no ambiton, and that he would not get very far without it. Believe it, or not, the word 'ambition' was not in my vocabulary, I had to look it up. The meaning of 'ambition' and the song struck a chord in me and I knew at that very young age I had to leave El Paso and not follow the footsteps of my older siblings, cousins and friends. My parents could not afford to pay for my education, nor even encouraged it for that matter, so I left within a week after graduating high school. Not all turned out that way, but the majority did, some even on government assistance as a way of life.

There was one rough week about three months after I left El Paso where I wanted to go back, but I stuck it out. That was the toughest, but wisest choice I ever made. Unfortunately, and I mean it sincerely, the only time I am in El Paso now is when a relative dies, or if I am passing through. All but one sibling of mine, including parents, have moved out of El Paso and live elsewhere in the US.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:47 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,107,893 times
I guess it is all perspective. I never expected "El Paso" to provide opportunities. I just always assumed you had to make them for yourself. Maybe that is just the example my family set for me. I have a professional full time career (where I make more here than I would in SA, DFW, or Houston) and a thriving small business on the side. While I am not trotting the globe, I am very comfortable.

Now, I also realize not all cities will offer all things. I am sure there are a lot of fields that you can't work in if you want to stay in El Paso. El Paso is not Madison Avenue for example. For some, leaving El Paso is the right move. For others, any change of scenery is good for their individual needs. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see "El Paso" as this living organism holding anyone back. There are opportunities here. Some cities have more. Some cities have less. It is a not a bad thing if you have to leave El Paso to follow your dreams.

Again, I just don't understand the idea that "El Paso" has to provide opportunity. To me, that is something you should create for yourself. If you can do it here - great! If you can't - move on.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:01 PM

35 posts, read 35,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdg View Post
I give you 3 years before you do what we did and start to realize why we left El Paso for Austin in the first place. I'm not saying you'll go back to Austin (we didn't), but you'll certainly remember why you left El Paso.
You certainly could be correct and that's what I'm trying to avoid. If I do move I don't want to move again. So, I'm really taking my time to make sure that it is the right decision. What I have to figure out is if those reasons for leaving El Paso matter as much to me as they used to.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:41 PM
zdg

845 posts, read 1,965,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve9229 View Post
You certainly could be correct and that's what I'm trying to avoid. If I do move I don't want to move again. So, I'm really taking my time to make sure that it is the right decision. What I have to figure out is if those reasons for leaving El Paso matter as much to me as they used to.
We found entirely new reasons the second time around.

The first time, I was a kid and going off to UT and couldn't wait to get the F out of El Paso forever because it was boring and backwards and all the things kids hate their hometown for.

When we moved back a decade later with college degree and professional designation in hand, we found it to be a very lousy place to hire competent staff for my specific business (which was securities compliance) and almost completely lacking in people that shared our views. We felt like total outsiders despite it being the city I grew up in.

We've been gone now since 2006 and I honestly cannot imagine any scenario where I would even entertain the notion of the idea of the concept of moving back. The only tie I had to the city (my parents) just moved out here to California last month so I don't even feel compelled to think about El Paso as a vacation destination anymore. I used to really wish the city would turn itself around and become what it has the ability to be -- but now I honestly don't care. El Paso serves its purpose for the people who love it for what it is. I'm not one of those people and I'm glad I've moved on, physically and emotionally.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:36 AM

35 posts, read 35,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdg View Post
We found entirely new reasons the second time around.

The first time, I was a kid and going off to UT and couldn't wait to get the F out of El Paso forever because it was boring and backwards and all the things kids hate their hometown for.

When we moved back a decade later with college degree and professional designation in hand, we found it to be a very lousy place to hire competent staff for my specific business (which was securities compliance) and almost completely lacking in people that shared our views. We felt like total outsiders despite it being the city I grew up in.

We've been gone now since 2006 and I honestly cannot imagine any scenario where I would even entertain the notion of the idea of the concept of moving back. The only tie I had to the city (my parents) just moved out here to California last month so I don't even feel compelled to think about El Paso as a vacation destination anymore. I used to really wish the city would turn itself around and become what it has the ability to be -- but now I honestly don't care. El Paso serves its purpose for the people who love it for what it is. I'm not one of those people and I'm glad I've moved on, physically and emotionally.
Good info! I appreciate your insight! It definitely gives me more to think about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso