Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 11:12 PM

Location: Central Texas. Wait, I mean South Texas. Actually, both Central and South Texas
317 posts, read 569,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherall View Post
I moved to Tucson not too long ago, and I have no regrets. I hated El Paso, the city with no opportunity, rude people, slow service, bad drivers, and almost as dirty as LA. My life has really changed a lot and has improved. There is nothing I miss about El Paso at all. Tucson is much better. Not to mention, the air over in Tucson is breathable compared to El Paso air.
There are solid job opportunities in El Paso. Opportunities that offer advancement with established companies. You just have to look for them and realize that your paycheck is going to be smaller than someone with the same job in Phoenix, Austin, Tucson etc. Of course salaries are going to be less in El Paso compared to other more "trendy" cities, because the COL in El Paso is extremely low.
El Paso is an especially great place to live if you are married with kids. Cities like Tucson, LA and Austin are great if you are single with no kids. But, if you are married with kids you will probably realize why some people like El Paso.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 06:39 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,186,711 times
Default Ha...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben1234 View Post
There are solid job opportunities in El Paso. Opportunities that offer advancement with established companies. You just have to look for them and realize that your paycheck is going to be smaller than someone with the same job in Phoenix, Austin, Tucson etc. Of course salaries are going to be less in El Paso compared to other more "trendy" cities, because the COL in El Paso is extremely low.
El Paso is an especially great place to live if you are married with kids. Cities like Tucson, LA and Austin are great if you are single with no kids. But, if you are married with kids you will probably realize why some people like El Paso.
That is bit of a stretch there. Be honest. People with kids also live in Austin, Tuscon and LA, and they probably think it is a great place. If you think El Paso is a great place to live, then just leave it at that, you don't have to convince anybody, each to his own. People who don't like El Paso will find any reason not to like it, no matter who, or what you say to them.

Old 10-25-2016, 11:27 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,107,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
That is bit of a stretch there. Be honest. People with kids also live in Austin, Tuscon and LA, and they probably think it is a great place. If you think El Paso is a great place to live, then just leave it at that, you don't have to convince anybody, each to his own. People who don't like El Paso will find any reason not to like it, no matter who, or what you say to them.
Just leave it at that? His post was fair enough. Where did he stretch it? Because it was a positive post and not bashing El Paso?

Old 10-29-2016, 01:28 AM

38 posts, read 52,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben1234 View Post
To be honest, I would never raise my future kids in El Paso. That city has a lot of problems and a lot of crime. I find it hard to believe it's the safest city in America. Like come on, it borders one of the top 10 most dangerous cities in the world. Even my relatives all hate El Paso and they avoid it as much as they can.

I live in Tucson now, but my first choice is to move to Phoenix. My second choice is to stay in Tucson. I like Tucson a lot, but I prefer Phoenix mainly because of the entertainment and how there is a lot to do. But most likely I'll be able to move to Phoenix. It's the perfect city to raise kids and the perfect city to live in. It's nice, very clean (hardly any litter), I don't think crime is a problem there, well paved highways, very friendly and awesome people, easy to make friends in, and a lot to do. Tucson is the smaller version of what I said. I don't even see myself ever leaving Arizona.

Old 03-21-2017, 04:29 PM

3 posts, read 2,364 times
Smile Mixed feelings

The reason I left ELP was different than for most people, I lost my job back in 2008 and had no luck in finding another one that paid the same or close, I had been married for two years and my wife was the only one left working in a job she didn't like. We always wanted to live somewhere else, even when we were dating, talked about what it would be like to live in a greener city with lots more things to do, we were younger then. We narrowed it down to two cities after visiting San Antonio, Austin, Phoenix and Seattle over a period of 6 months. We decided to move to Austin due to the cost of living then and job availability and growth. Forward 8 years and we still living here but cost of living, especially housing, has gone way up while salaries have not kept up. We now have a 5 yr. old and really like it here, summers are hot and humid but not unbearable like phoenix. There is always so much to do almost every week, for singles and families.
We live in round rock, TX which is part of the Austin metropolitan area, anywhere near downtown will cost you an arm and a leg, suburbs are quite nice, lots of big green parks with lakes, lots of family activities as well.

Now, for the things I don't like about Austin, the traffic has been getting bad since I moved here, I try to take back roads as much as possible. The people moving here are not always the nice type, some real jerks and even criminals. This is still texas and so they don't pay you as well as in other states because the believe is that it's cheaper to live here.

The things I miss about ELP most if my family, my parents and majority of brothers live there with their families. I was the second one to leave but I think since I'm the youngest it's the reason my family took it harder. I visit at least twice a year and it's always hard leaving them behind but after a couple of days of the work routine you get back on track. I also miss the food, there is no better mexican food than in ELP, san antonio is tex-mex as is Austin, to me the best tasting northern mexican food will always be ELP. I miss the mountains and the winters, very mild winters in Austin, miss the beautiful snow covered mountains. I will say that ELP has grown a lot since we left, there are lots more things to do now, up until we left in 2009 there was not much to do, now they have so many shopping malls, restaurants and events.

I do not miss the grocery stores, I had to go to several stores looking for products that at times I did not find to make a recipe. Yes, the cost of groceries is less in ELP, except Albertson's which I don't understand why, but they don't offer a great variety of products. I really like HEB in Austin, good prices and they offer so many other products I could never find in ELP and no two stores are alike. We also have several whole foods, trader joe's and sprouts in Austin. I visited the new whole foods in ELP this year and it's quite nice, glad they opened one. I did not like the traffic, lots of construction going on but it's part of the growth, also, lots more people with chihuahua license plates who don't know how to drive.

In summary, I miss my family, mexican food and cost of living in ELP but not enough to move yet, I still love that we do something different each weekend in Austin even take short road trips to Houston, SAN and Dallas. Been to several gulf beaches and many different interesting little towns in between who had nice festivals, love the green trees everywhere.
I may eventually move back once my kids are old and off to college, who knows what the future holds, I may move to another city closer to the beach. In a way I'm glad I lost my job back in ELP because I would probably still be there, which isn't a bad thing, but I would have missed out on so many things I've been able to enjoy in central texas.

Old 03-22-2017, 12:04 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,422,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glr2472 View Post
The reason I left ELP was different than for most people, I lost my job back in 2008 and had no luck in finding another one that paid the same or close, I had been married for two years and my wife was the only one left working in a job she didn't like. We always wanted to live somewhere else, even when we were dating, talked about what it would be like to live in a greener city with lots more things to do, we were younger then. We narrowed it down to two cities after visiting San Antonio, Austin, Phoenix and Seattle over a period of 6 months. We decided to move to Austin due to the cost of living then and job availability and growth. Forward 8 years and we still living here but cost of living, especially housing, has gone way up while salaries have not kept up. We now have a 5 yr. old and really like it here, summers are hot and humid but not unbearable like phoenix. There is always so much to do almost every week, for singles and families.
We live in round rock, TX which is part of the Austin metropolitan area, anywhere near downtown will cost you an arm and a leg, suburbs are quite nice, lots of big green parks with lakes, lots of family activities as well.

Now, for the things I don't like about Austin, the traffic has been getting bad since I moved here, I try to take back roads as much as possible. The people moving here are not always the nice type, some real jerks and even criminals. This is still texas and so they don't pay you as well as in other states because the believe is that it's cheaper to live here.

The things I miss about ELP most if my family, my parents and majority of brothers live there with their families. I was the second one to leave but I think since I'm the youngest it's the reason my family took it harder. I visit at least twice a year and it's always hard leaving them behind but after a couple of days of the work routine you get back on track. I also miss the food, there is no better mexican food than in ELP, san antonio is tex-mex as is Austin, to me the best tasting northern mexican food will always be ELP. I miss the mountains and the winters, very mild winters in Austin, miss the beautiful snow covered mountains. I will say that ELP has grown a lot since we left, there are lots more things to do now, up until we left in 2009 there was not much to do, now they have so many shopping malls, restaurants and events.

I do not miss the grocery stores, I had to go to several stores looking for products that at times I did not find to make a recipe. Yes, the cost of groceries is less in ELP, except Albertson's which I don't understand why, but they don't offer a great variety of products. I really like HEB in Austin, good prices and they offer so many other products I could never find in ELP and no two stores are alike. We also have several whole foods, trader joe's and sprouts in Austin. I visited the new whole foods in ELP this year and it's quite nice, glad they opened one. I did not like the traffic, lots of construction going on but it's part of the growth, also, lots more people with chihuahua license plates who don't know how to drive.

In summary, I miss my family, mexican food and cost of living in ELP but not enough to move yet, I still love that we do something different each weekend in Austin even take short road trips to Houston, SAN and Dallas. Been to several gulf beaches and many different interesting little towns in between who had nice festivals, love the green trees everywhere.
I may eventually move back once my kids are old and off to college, who knows what the future holds, I may move to another city closer to the beach. In a way I'm glad I lost my job back in ELP because I would probably still be there, which isn't a bad thing, but I would have missed out on so many things I've been able to enjoy in central texas.
Good post. Things happen for a reason believe me.

Old 03-26-2017, 09:33 PM

200 posts, read 385,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glr2472 View Post

Unbearable summers in Phoenix? I've been to both Austin and Phoenix in the summer. Phoenix is more tolerable. Sounds funny, but I say that because it's dry heat with 0 humidity. I've been to Austin that same summer, and when I got back in my car, my shirt was soaking wet and I felt like I got off a water ride. In Phoenix, I was sweating, but my shirt was only partially wet. Though it's 98 degrees in Austin in the summer, humidity is close to 100%. I've heard Houston summers are the worst though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso