Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2009, 08:01 AM

479 posts, read 1,287,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixgunner View Post
It is, if you ever visit the Springs I'll buy you a beer!!
I'll remember that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 03:15 AM

700 posts, read 2,710,800 times
I lived in El Paso for two months, but left after I couldn't find work. I applied to everything that I was qualified for and got little to no response. I said goodbye and good riddance to El Paso yesterday and drove into Dallas last night. I had 2 great interviews today and have another lined up for tomorrow. There are no jobs in El Paso!!!

Old 04-01-2009, 11:38 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,422,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan#1 View Post
I lived in El Paso for two months, but left after I couldn't find work. I applied to everything that I was qualified for and got little to no response. I said goodbye and good riddance to El Paso yesterday and drove into Dallas last night. I had 2 great interviews today and have another lined up for tomorrow. There are no jobs in El Paso!!!
Why did you go there w/o a job already lined up? I would never move to a new city without a job already lined up, especially EP where you could have read any of the threads in this forum describing how difficult it is to find work there.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:26 PM

700 posts, read 2,710,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipbalm View Post
Why did you go there w/o a job already lined up? I would never move to a new city without a job already lined up, especially EP where you could have read any of the threads in this forum describing how difficult it is to find work there.
I did have a job that really didnt work out for me and I had to resign. Also, I used to think just like you and wonder why anyone would move to a city without having a job lined up, but the economy has been in such bad shape in some cities that I dont anymore. If you're out of a job for months and aren't even getting interviews then the only option for you is to move somewhere else and try there.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:26 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,421,472 times
I think it all depends on one's own circumstances whether or not they can just pack up and go somewhere without a job lined up. I remember talking to some guy at a convenience store who did that, there were no jobs where he was from, he was out of high school and so he and his friends packed up and headed out to find jobs. He landed here because they stopped for gas and food and he got to talking to the people working at the store telling them he was going somewhere that had jobs and they said "you want a job? you can work here" so he got his stuff from the car and waved bye to his friends and ended up staying.

A family couldn't do that kind of thing easily however, nor someone with bills. It also depends on the kind of job you're going to take.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:47 AM

4 posts, read 16,821 times
Left El paso to attend grad school indc, then post grad in NY. Live in NY and raising a family in NY. I don't regret leaving, except that my mother still lives in NY. Aside from my mother I miss the Mexican food and handball scene. A lot of outdoor handball here in NY and some indoor, but very clickish on who plays with who. Raising my son to play handball-3rd generation player.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:55 AM

9 posts, read 24,365 times
Thumbs down leaving el paso

I was there in 1990 and left a few months afterwards. I couldn't handle the crime all around me. Every morning I would turn on the news and there was always something that had happened within 2 blocks surrounding me. It was just too much for this small town gal to handle. The only thing I miss is the dry heat. Kentucky is the worst for allergies. I'll move back to the desert someday but it won't be El Paso. After my experience I swore that city off the list.

Old 04-24-2009, 04:10 PM

167 posts, read 481,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarellana View Post
Yes and NO,

I miss the climate, culture, food, friendliness, and most of all the lack of discrimination. In El Paso I cannot remember when being Spanish speaking was frowned upon. (I miss Chico's/Ciro's big time)

There is plenty of work and believe it or not, they are looking for Bilingual employees. (Because all the Mexicans are moving here and taking over)

I have been asked, "Where are all the educated Mexicans? Don't you people ever finish school? What do you want me to call you, Mexican? Don't you know anyone that speaks Spanish and has a degree, or are you the exception? I moved to Fort Worth 6 years ago and cannot believe the level of discrimination here, Not everywhere.

I'm sure you heard about Farmer's Branch making it illegal to rent or sell property to undocumented people. Stopping people and towing if they do not have proper documents, calling ICE on people if entering a detention center, refusing to enroll students if they do not have social security cards, raiding factories in Dallas, and just fired 40 from the Mesquite ISD that did not have good Social security cards #'s. You get the picture.

Good or Bad?
If you have a Bachelor's degree, starting pay in certain social arenas is $40,000-$55,000. Between my husband and I we are now both making twice as much as we would in El Paso with the same education. Because speaking Spanish is a great need over here, I can take the discrimination because my work is with my people.

If I could make the same amount of money in El Paso, I would go back ASAP.

Your comments on illegals not getting work and not being able to rent/buy homes is as it should be. They are lawbreaking illegal - not undocumented - immigrants that should not be here in the first place. I, for one, have had enough of paying my tax dollars to support these people.

Old 04-24-2009, 04:45 PM

729 posts, read 2,057,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarellana View Post
If I could make the same amount of money in El Paso, I would go back ASAP.
Good to know that I am not the only one that has said this in here.

Old 04-24-2009, 05:23 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,105,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenoa01 View Post
I was there in 1990 and left a few months afterwards. I couldn't handle the crime all around me. Every morning I would turn on the news and there was always something that had happened within 2 blocks surrounding me.

That is too bad your experience here wasn't good but crime is not much of a factor in El Paso
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso