Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 11:52 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,692,216 times

Advertisements

I'd like to hear from people who are leaving El Paso, or are thinking of leaving, or who have left El Paso. What reasons did you have for leaving? Where did you go? Do you have any regrets about leaving?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2008, 12:08 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,887,788 times
Only regret was leaving my mother and other family behind. Other than that I missed the mountains. Everything else was better in Gulfport Mississippi, and in Seattle WA. Boise ID was rough to live in, but I did enjoy it. I am back in El Paso to help family out now, or I would be back in the Mississippi Area.. I truely loved it there.

Old 12-24-2008, 12:44 PM

17 posts, read 190,219 times
I left about 20 years ago to go to college. I'd go back and visit for holidays and summers until the visits became less and less. I'm in San Antonio now. The only regret I have is that I left some really good friends behind. I too miss the mountains but other then that I'm very happy where I'm at.

Old 12-24-2008, 01:29 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,492,335 times
I left in 1970 to transfer to the Univ of California, came back in '73 then went to law school and traveled then came back in 1980 then left again in 86 and come back now and then. I hope to get a summer home there.

El Paso is one of the best places to live -and I've lived everywhere. On the other hand its nice to have contrast in life and so now I live on the ocean in Rockport. 9 months a year the climate is nicer in Rockport roughly October to May. The summers are nicer in El Paso. I appreciate the mountains and desert more when I've been living by the ocean, and like the desert and mountains after I've been back in Rockport.

In a couple of years we will contact El Paso High and see if they will do a home and away series with Rockport. That will give the kids some culture and scenary changes and be fun for all.

Old 12-25-2008, 12:53 PM

729 posts, read 2,058,883 times
Sometimes I do like this week. I have been here 6 days and have enjoyed every minute of it. Been in ATX for 8 years now.

Old 12-26-2008, 09:04 PM

523 posts, read 1,363,070 times
Default I left El Paso...

to attend the elite University of Texas at Austin..then I joined the military and went all over the US..with my then military partners..including having my daughter in Virginia..I went back to teach after she was born...I truly miss El Paso especially now..when it is Christmas and if I was in the metroplex ...I would be alone..here are the tamales, champurado, bunuelos that my Mexican great grandmother used to make...I think about coming back now and then...because my parents are still here and I wonder..what can happen to them..but then..there are so many things that I find in other places that I do NOT see here!....but EL Paso will forever be my hometown!

Old 12-26-2008, 11:27 PM

303 posts, read 976,677 times
I came to Nebraska on military leave from the Army in 1978 with an Army buddy of mine when I was in Fort Bliss, and met his wonderful sister that I married. We had 4 great kids and I ended up staying there (in Nebraska). I miss the people, the mountains and the memories of child hood friends, Ascarate Park (and school) and Riverside High. My parents are laid to rest now at Ft. Bliss cemetary. I have deep roots here in Nebraska now, but a part of my heart will always belong to El Paso.

Old 12-28-2008, 02:32 PM

248 posts, read 624,852 times
we left in august and moved to st. louis. i do not regret it. el paso had fabulous weather and was a very pretty place. for me, the city life of st. louis is more preferable. there is something to do here nearly every day- tons of concerts and art and shopping. el paso has those things, but not in the abundance that st. louis does. there is alot more to do with the children. my children have had a much easier time blending in here and making friends (now, because they are white, and i don't think el paso is in any way racist, but they went to a school that was primarily mexican, and half of the population lived in juarez, and i think the fact that they didn't speak spanish caused them to be unintentionally excluded). it is easier to get a direct flight to many cities that i frequent from here.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:19 PM

1 posts, read 21,835 times
I was born in El Paso but my parents moved to Phoenix when I was four. I always thought EP was a second-class town, dirty, and really not that great. When my grandmother became very ill moved to EP for about 10 months and discovered it to be a really great town. Sure people talk a little funny and mix their spanish with everything but I have yet to meet so many down-to-earth individuals. It's the greatest "big-little" town I know of, and I've been around. Phoenix is great in so many ways, but I'll never forget El Paso and the people that make it so great.

See you guys tomorrow and Chicos here I come!

Old 12-28-2008, 10:26 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,912,165 times
I loved El Paso--we've moved to the Rio Grande Valley, now. I miss the mountain I lived on and the native cacti. The flood a couple of years ago destroyed our home, but I will always have fond memories of El Paso. My kids both graduated high school there, and my youngest was married there. Our precious dogs lived and died there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso