Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 08:10 AM

422 posts, read 1,294,348 times

Advertisements

I've come to the conclusion that El Paso is going to be home to many dead palm trees for a while because it doesn't look like people are going to be pulling them up anytime soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 11:36 AM

2 posts, read 3,469 times
Are the palms dead dead? Like there's no hope they'll come back?

Old 03-14-2011, 12:31 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,954,972 times
I think most are waiting to see if they show any life in spring. It will be good year for El Paso nurseries.
Friends have already had knocks on the door by roving gardeners in old pickups offering to take down the trees.
El Paso palm trees have always looked sad and out of place - hopefully better/different trees will replace them.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:34 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,278,870 times
It is so sad, all the dead palms across west Texas and northern Mexico, but it is worth leaving them in the ground for now, botanists say they could still come back even if takes till mid or late summer.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:53 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
I think most are waiting to see if they show any life in spring. It will be good year for El Paso nurseries.
Friends have already had knocks on the door by roving gardeners in old pickups offering to take down the trees.
El Paso palm trees have always looked sad and out of place - hopefully better/different trees will replace them.
I very much agree--sad and out of place pretty much says it all.

I hope they are replaced with a more appropriate tree--and that goes for Alamogordo, too. They really look horrible here.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:51 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Older parts of town don't look so bad but some neighborhoods look dreadful because all they have are palm trees. Drive around and you see green pines and trees in bloom but then you come up on neigborhoods with all dead looking palm trees.

I don't understand the palm trees. They don't provide shade and they really don't look as nice as other trees here.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:59 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,158,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I don't understand the palm trees. They don't provide shade and they really don't look as nice as other trees here.
At one time there were MANY Chinese Elms in El Paso that thrived back when it was possible to do more watering. Elm disease took out most of them. Then for awhile mulberry trees were planted with great success, but they now have been banned because of being blamed for respiratory diseases/allergies. Various imported pines have done well and seem to not require the degree of watering other species require. And I know of several homes that have huge Texas oak trees that have done well in the sandy soils of east El Paso. Mexican elders are one of my favorites, but they usually are more stunted than stately. There are some older neighborhoods where cypress still exist. Lombardy populars were once more prevalent in the upper and lower valley areas - Ranchland subdivision, for example.

Old 03-15-2011, 04:09 PM

84 posts, read 339,019 times
What percentage of the palm trees died in EP and the surrounding area this winter? Did any survive?

Old 03-15-2011, 08:00 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,954,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john gunn View Post
What percentage of the palm trees died in EP and the surrounding area this winter? Did any survive?
I think it's almost 100%. I haven't seen a single palm that doesn't look dead. We won't know for sure until we're into April or May.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:24 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,134,656 times
It seems the established and larger ones are fine. Mine are about 30 feet high and the branches look healthy. We shall see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso