Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 03:31 AM

106 posts, read 300,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
I have a CDL and my boys own a trucking company here in El Paso so my warning in the earlier post should be considered before moving here. Loads out of El Paso don't pay very well so even though there are a lot of jobs for truckers here you will need to stay out to make any money.
Yes, we've heard that before, and we also heard about the wages being driven down by people from Mexico willing to do the job for less. It's a real shame b/c there is no way a person can live on (or buy a home like we're trying to do) for minimum wage. We can go back to Cali where there are more jobs, but rent and housing is sky-high; or we can move to Las Cruces/El Paso where rent is much lower, but there are no good-paying jobs in his field. It's a quandary

Again, thanx for the info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 02:04 PM

271 posts, read 805,886 times
Cade
Possibly look into a job driving on the military post or maybe the border fence project ( I saw tons of trucks hauling stuff to the river east of Fabens. Also check with the beer and soda distributors here in El Paso i hear they might pay a little better than most local jobs. Look at Craigslist for El Paso also. Last but not least Swift or similar companies are usually always hiring for OTR with little to no experience.
Just curious, what part of Calif. do you come from? I was born and raised in So. Cal.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:32 PM

Hi DesertDog,

We've lived in a number of places in California, from the San Gabriel Valley (Covina, Glendora, San Dimas) and ending up in the Inland Empire in Rancho Cucamonga (next to Ontario, where the airport is)

I see a lot of ads for the military jobs. I dunno if you have to be an enlisted person to get those. He just found a company using tanks to haul dry goods that pays quite well so he is looking into that

Old 01-05-2009, 09:27 AM

271 posts, read 805,886 times
Cade
My son has wanted to drive local for over a year so he can spend more time with his daughter but hasn't been able to find anything that matches the money OTR pays but I've seen ads for local jobs that might fit your income requirements.
I know what you mean about the high cost of housing in California, my daughter lives in Oceanside and I lived in Ventura County. I would love to go back to be close to family plus I miss the beach but 2500.00 a month for a average 3 bdrm house is crazy. Good luck in your search.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:23 AM

Sorry for my absence! Yes Cali is horrendously expensive housing-wise. Las Cruces is affordable...as long as one has a job. It always seems to be divided like that: lots of jobs = high cost of living. Good cost of living = less jobs *sigh*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso