Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 07:37 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,264,045 times

Advertisements

Yes, it is tough. I mean to say per week, not per day. But it doesn't really matter, does it? A life is a life and one is too many.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:23 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
The army does make me feel safer. Soldiers living in barracks are less corruptable and face less pressure than policemen who have to live in the neighborhood with their families.
Well I don't live over there so I can't really know how people there feel about it, but the problem I could see with the army is that they are not from the area. The soldiers may be less corruptable but do they know the people? Do they even know when something looks amiss?

I know Mexico isn't the same but what's good about local police -- country sheriffs and city cops is they tend to know who is who, they know their way around, they know when things don't look right.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:43 AM

40 posts, read 97,048 times
I just got my pass card and I'll be in EP for the 4th. I had plans on going to Juarez one of the days to see a few friends but I am having doubts. It was always kinda bad but I don't want to get kidnapped or worse.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter4ever View Post
I just got my pass card and I'll be in EP for the 4th. I had plans on going to Juarez one of the days to see a few friends but I am having doubts. It was always kinda bad but I don't want to get kidnapped or worse.
Maybe you should ask them what they think. There are still people who insist that as long as you aren't involved with drugs in any way and you don't associate with people who are involved with drugs in any way, that you're still relatively safe over there. It's not a good place to make a bad drug deal -- that's for sure.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:19 AM

Default 06/25/2009

Was the mother of four who worked at Good Will into drugs? Whether she was, or was not is not my point, and I am not judging her, or anyone else who was murdered, but if anyone in that group was, then this is what the results are as Malamute says. However, if she and/or the others were innocent bystanders, then this just goes to show you how unsafe anyone is there.

People who live there will say it is safe if you mind your business and don't get into drugs. Really? In my opinion, they are either in denial, ignorant of the situation, or social prisoners whereby the walls that surround them are of destitution. I would think that if you asked people from Juarez where they would choose to live anywhere in this world, with no obstacles to doing so, most would not say Juarez.

On Wednesday alone, 10 people were murdered, including a 15 year old boy from El Paso visiting his parents. Shameless violence. I would not risk my life, much less my wife, kids, or anyone for that matter.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:24 AM

447 posts, read 1,579,251 times
I won't go no matter what. Even if you're not involved a stray bullet doesn't care what you are doing.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post

Was the mother of four who worked at Good Will into drugs? Whether she was, or was not is not my point, and I am not judging her, or anyone else who was murdered, but if anyone in that group was, then this is what the results are as Malamute says. However, if she and/or the others were innocent bystanders, then this just goes to show you how unsafe anyone is there.

People who live there will say it is safe if you mind your business and don't get into drugs. Really? In my opinion, they are either in denial, ignorant of the situation, or social prisoners whereby the walls that surround them are of destitution. I would think that if you asked people from Juarez where they would choose to live anywhere in this world, with no obstacles to doing so, most would not say Juarez.

On Wednesday alone, 10 people were murdered, including a 15 year old boy from El Paso visiting his parents. Shameless violence. I would not risk my life, much less my wife, kids, or anyone for that matter.
A mother of four could be into drugs -- or someone she was with was - but I'm just going by what people who still go over there say. Not that I would go over there for a dumb reason like looking for a cheap bargain or party, but if I had a very good reason to go over, I don't think I'd be frightened.

From what people who live there say, it's more quiet than anything, you don't see the people out on the streets like before, people shop in the day, go to work as always but stay inside evenings and nights. They say they never actually see anything because Juarez is so big that something could be going on but in some other area of town. One guy from there told me he still goes over all the time and some of his uncles and cousins have been killed, but he didn't go to their funerals because he said they all were associated with drug dealing. The other side of his family isn't nor is he so he still goes to see them.

As for the kids that attend schools here, their deaths aren't more tragic than others just because they commute to schools in El Paso, commuting to El Paso schools but living in Juarez is extremely common but wouldn't make someone immune. There really are no obstacles for them in coming over to live in or around El Paso and a whole lot of them are, but I suspect the ones who don't prefer not to pay our very high property taxes and also realize that their enemies can find them just as easily over here as over there so why bother.

I also think that many do think moving over here will get them protection and we're going to see a big escalation of violence and killings. Just like the kidnapping in Las Cruces of a 19 year old girl and the weekend killing at that bar doesn't make us packing up to leave town or more frightened for our lives.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:02 AM

Default August 1 - 19th 160 killed....

160+ alone this month. Almost 1200 already killed in 2009, it looks like it will surpass 2008 (1600), even with the military in town.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:27 PM

Default September 1st, 2009

Old 09-01-2009, 01:20 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,954,972 times
Quote:
Was the mother of four who worked at Good Will into drugs?
A nogoodnik or high profile person may be threatened with the death of an innocent relative if he doesn't pay up or play ball. A distant relative, & seeming innocent person, was killed a few months ago. His brother is a high profile gov't official in Juarez who was receiving threats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso