Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 07:16 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,952,340 times

Advertisements

We have a whole other thread on El Paso Propety Tax.. how about you both take that there.. thanks.

There was this one..

El Paso property tax rate

And then mine that tried to break it down..

El Paso Property Tax - break down
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 07:31 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,136,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
I paid around 140k for my home and pay 482/month for property taxes.

I will not complain about my property taxes knowing that!

Old 01-11-2009, 08:03 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,023,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
We have a whole other thread on El Paso Propety Tax.. how about you both take that there.. thanks.

There was this one..

El Paso property tax rate

And then mine that tried to break it down..

El Paso Property Tax - break down

Thanks for the links but I don't understand a lick of it and it seems a bit dated. But based on your 21.44 per 1k (but tax rates vary within a county) I'd pay half what I do here for the same home in Dickinson.

But back to the topic. I don't see how the housing market is doing good here or anywhere else. Seems to be way to much inventory and not enough buyers.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:40 AM

270 posts, read 626,422 times
Texas, if you read El Paso Times today, you will see Congressman Reyes statement about cutting funding for FCS, which is being bannered as a money maker for El Paso. By the way no one's nerve was touched. We are here to have a discussion with ALL points of view to perhaps shed some light on the idea that many El Pasons have that the military budget will solve everything. Texas, look at what happened to Philadelphia and it's money maker the Navy Yard. There are many more examples. Historically the military changes every 10 yrs or sometimes five, there are major buildups and then major cuts. So just because there is major buildup at FT Bliss now doesnt mean in two years, we wont see FT Bliss scaledown. The military and pols have to sell this package now and really have no idea how long it will last. Politics, military mission and world events are the deciding factors. Barney Frank has already said he will cut the budget and the public says the military is too big, needs to cut and redistribute that money to social programs are beating the drum very loudly.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:50 AM

71 posts, read 201,443 times
I forgot what this post was originally about. :O)

I live way below my means and so far it has been wonderful...ready to move on up.

Anyone wanna buy a really great 3 bedroom home??? Since the market is so great to buy a home right now I really wanna jump on that train.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:57 AM

270 posts, read 626,422 times
I'm sorry, didnt mean to ramble on. The housing market is doing just ok, the problem is just getting a mortage loan. The rules are very strict. Good luck with the sale.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:33 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,023,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmeyer View Post
I forgot what this post was originally about. :O)

I live way below my means and so far it has been wonderful...ready to move on up.

Anyone wanna buy a really great 3 bedroom home??? Since the market is so great to buy a home right now I really wanna jump on that train.

Get in line. I'm looking for a house here and there is a ton. And alot have been on the market for 200+ days. I'd say the average is 100 days or more.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:10 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Well, when the future administration is telling the world it will break with the current administration policy, and is going to light a bonfire and hold hands with Hamas and sing Cumbaya, that should tell you something. Who needs a military when you bow to the enemy? Also, the 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' policy will come back which may have an effect on moral, and troop decline.

Anyway, I could not resist the opportunity... but to answer your question, I think it is safe to say that yes, if there are military cuts, the need for housing will respond in kind.
One of the big promises was to slash the military. I don't believe that will help El Paso too much since it's the military that is keeping us afloat.

The problem is, the military will be an easy place to look for the money needed to fulfill all the other many promises that were made.

The other problem I see is the bailouts themselves, the spending of billions of dollars that does not exist is just going to make the problem much much worse.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Funny you bring up Fort DIX. Fort Dix is where I did my Basic and Advance training. I liked that post too. Yeah now part of it is a federal prison.

Military come and go.. not many settle here.. some do retire here yes that is true... but not enough to garner the many ne whomes being built.

Jobs, when you have an estimated 150 thousand people moving here, half of them looking for the same jobs we locals are.. it will hurt us all. Ontop of that, there are not many jobs that pay a living wage in El Paso, and that hurts us all as well. So I take postitve news like that with a grain of salt.. because it just does not seem to match what I am seeing here.
The reason I think you're right is that before there was some kind of manufacturing and garment industry base here. Plus the military. There was Farahs, Levis, the boot companies, there was Old El Paso or Mountain Pass. Now we've go most our eggs in just the one big military basket and there are talks of pretty major -- as in 25% cuts being made to it.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
What's your tax rate? Saying you paid 10k means nothing. You could have a 10 million dollar home and that would be cheap. I paid around 140k for my home and pay 482/month for property taxes.
What would happen here is they would assess your house at $240 K and tax you accordingly. It's not the rate, it's how they can take a house that you didn't spend all that much on and raise the so-called value of it by leaps and bounds, even if you could never sell it for close to it's assessed value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso