Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 12:30 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,135,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
How? How does this benefit El Paso in any form? It doesn't.. no trickle nothing.. its good for the military and their families.. not El Paso, unless your prior service.
At the very least don't they have to buy the building supplies here? My buddy just got a fat contract to install garage doors all around the new construction on Bliss. I am sure many other El Pasoans will receive jobs to help build this clinic.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 02:04 PM

2,027 posts, read 7,024,233 times
Quote:
How? How does this benefit El Paso in any form? It doesn't.. no trickle nothing.. its good for the military and their families.. not El Paso, unless your prior service.
Anytime you inject $5 billion in construction (even military) into a community you'll have a positive effect on the entire community. Local companies are hired for contract work, and companies relocate (or open branches) for this contract work. An additional 38,000 military personnel will be moving to town, bringing their spouses and kids with them. That's an extra 50,000+ people that need housing, food, etc. How can you not see this benefiting the community?

Look at SA for example. The military is only spending $2.1 billion on construction/renovations and adding about 11,000 personnel. When it's finished the total economic impact is estimated to pump at least $13 billion into the local economy!

San Antonio Benefits From BRAC

Old 01-16-2009, 02:49 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,950,515 times
I have been touting for over a year now of the many military coming here. I have linked stories and facts about them coming here. As for local builders, they hire illegals so again what good is it for El Paso?

The fact is once the clinic is built is has no benefit for El Paso.

Old 01-16-2009, 03:40 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,613,896 times
A tad off subject but i think this is also ft. bliss question......Muhnay i was looking at your photo's and i believe the GECU is at ft. Bliss?? And what is it?

Old 01-16-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
As for local builders, they hire illegals so again what good is it for El Paso?
That is a big assumption. I am sure quite a few illegals are hired but not all. I now that for certain as I do business with quite a few contractors that only hire U.S citizens or people who legally have the right to work in the U.S.

Also, I would assume any contractor doing business with the military would probably stay as close to the letter of the law as possible as to not lose any future work.

Even still, buying materials locally will benefit El Paso. So this will benefit the city and not just Ft. Bliss.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:35 PM

Who said they buy the materials locally? That stuff is trucked in from all over.. who ever wins the bid on the contract.

However, I was not speaking of the building of it.. I was speaking of the operation of it, after the fact.

And just so you know government contracts are bid USA wide, not locally.. there are contractors on BIGGS now from other states building here. Just so you know.

There was a story not far back of a couple contracts being lost due to the hiring of undocumented workers. Look into it.

6 Foot 3 I am not sure what your asking me.. can you elaborate?

Old 01-16-2009, 08:41 PM

Even if they bring in people from outside of El Paso, those people would have to use local hotels or apartments. That would benefit El Paso.

I get your point about it not benefiting El Paso after it is built though - but there is still some trickle down no matter what.

Old 01-17-2009, 02:14 AM

Quote:
6 Foot 3 I am not sure what your asking me.. can you elaborate?
In your personal album on your page here at city data you have a pic of the GECU building at night.......is that on Ft. Bliss??

Old 01-17-2009, 02:16 AM

No sir.. that is on Airways and Edgemere.

Old 01-17-2009, 02:18 AM

Quote:
No sir.. that is on Airways and Edgemere.
That was a quick answer at 2.00 a.m. ....lol.....

So what is that building as it looks really cool......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso