U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-05-2009, 10:34 AM

756 posts, read 1,295,284 times

Advertisements

It would be nice to call and they say yes we can see your child today.
instead we do not have a opening to day
but I am sure that it will open the week I move
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 02:28 PM

270 posts, read 397,742 times
Southern, if there is a serious problem, you have the emergency room and you also have a phone number to speak with a nurse and get assistance. Other than that, even in the civilian world, you usually have to wait. It's tough everywhere.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:05 PM

the ER. sucks plus I do not feel that kids need to be rushed to the ER. for a cold are ear infection. that is just a big waste of time for every one.
also if I worked at that ER. it would **** me off that the on call nurse sent every sniffy nose to the ER.(thats just me)
the ER. is needed for more important things than my kids fever, that could be me being from the south where the only time you went to the ER. ment you were dying other than that you went to you DR. but here I have noticed that people abuse the ER.
Also I do take my kids to Southwest ugrent care. they are very good.
they are there when you can not get in the dr. for 2 wks. but at the same time it is not an ER. visit!!!

What I am saying is you do not bring people in to a post that is not able to meet their needs and is a long way from being there

I called today they had a appt. for 2-24-09!!
that is sorry nothing more.

I am not talking about the city of El Paso.
I am talking about this post!!

Old 02-06-2009, 09:01 AM

I was talking about this post. It has been like that on many posts, air bases, naval bases. There is a shortage of medical personnel everywhere and many just dont want to go in the service. I wasnt suggesting to abuse the ER or wasting the nurse's time. I was suggeting that you do have options. The nurse was assigned just for those types of illnesses. Cant wait or dont want to wait, Urgent care is a good option. Being retired, I have to use a civilian Dentist because of a shortage here and it takes two weeks to get an appointment with the MD. Active duty personnel can and should be priority.
I understand the frustration you are experiencing but your husband chose this way of life and obviously the assignments are made on the basis of duty requirements, wherever they are needed. The family does have the option, I admit not good, of not going with him.
Hang in there, things could be worse. My father was career and so was I. Wasnt easy but we made it and are quite happy we did. If your husband is a career man, 20 yrs will go a lot faster than you realize.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:39 AM

We have 4 years till retirement and counting down the days.
But this base was not ready for us, and they are a long way from being ready.
I have been to lots of post in the last 15years and I can tell you this is not the worst.
But to say it is the best is a laughble statement at best

No it isnot this bad at other post.
they are deploying these men at very fast rates and there is no support for the people left behind here.
most post atleast have a support team set up for their people but not HERE my friend, your own your own

fort hood sucks but they have their **** togeather if you know what I am talking, about but not HERE!!
again this post can not meet the basic needs of the people moving here.
they have not been able to meet these needs for a year now and yet they are moving how many more men here?

Also when they get these nice buildings up they will have noone to work in them.
that is most of the problem here is they can not find the help.
they are also very slow with there hiring.
my friend got a job at wbmc in 11-08 she went to work last week!!!
this post has been so layed back way to long and now they are fighting change.
I am saying they nned to get up to speed and stop the bs.
they wanted the money well now it is time to pay up!!

I am not talking about myself here sir.
you see we have been in the army for 15 years so I am a big girl and will not lose my way!!!
I am talking about the young wives that come here with small ones and have no where to go.
they have no life leasons so they are very lost here and there is no support for them here.

But they can always go to the ER.

Last edited by southernbliss; 02-06-2009 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: forgot something

Old 02-06-2009, 10:34 AM

If you arent getting the support you need talk with the SMAJ or 1SG and offer some solutions. My son speaks up for those that wont or dont trust the Command, doesnt always win change but many times he does. There are many support groups on Ft Bliss for the left behind wives and others for newly assigned personnel. The left behind groups, Ive talked with, are very statisifed and busy with activities. Sure they rather have their spouse's here.

I am also retired civil service and you can ask any cs applicant for any agency, the cs hiring system is very slow and tedious. So if it your friend got the job now, she was doing good.

I have talked with people that loved and some that hate FT Hood, some loved Germany, some hated it, it all comes down to what your taste is. Heck, there are non-fed civilians that hate El Paso and some like me just LOVE the city, even the shortcomings it has.

I strongly urge you to speak to the 1SG or SMAJ or the support groups or ACS about your concerns and help others.

Last edited by luplor; 02-06-2009 at 10:50 AM..

Old 02-07-2009, 12:01 PM

We will have to agree to disagree.
this base is not ready for all of these troops coming in here.
that is just the way I feel about.
they jumped ahead of theirselfs and now they have more then they can chew.
I hope it does get better but do not see it happening with all the cuts that are going to take place everywhere not just here.

as for helping, I help when ever I can.
take someone to the store,dr, anything I can do for the new people here I try but the point is they do not have a good system here at all for these young wives.
Germany was one of the best post I have been to.
the support that was given to the women was wounderful.
they went out of their way to make us feel at home.
they do not do that here and then they act like u are crazy when you ask a simple thing.
they are very behind here and do not want to catch up.

This is what I see and I can only speak for myself and compare from the other post I have been to.
again this is not the worst but I do not see them getting their **** together for 11,000 troops.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:50 PM

2,478 posts, read 3,369,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbliss View Post
anything I can do for the new people here I try but the point is they do not have a good system here at all for these young wives.
You only care about new people (transplants) or would you also help long time El Pasoans?

Old 02-08-2009, 12:18 PM

47,585 posts, read 35,942,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbliss View Post
We will have to agree to disagree.
this base is not ready for all of these troops coming in here.
that is just the way I feel about.
they jumped ahead of theirselfs and now they have more then they can chew.
I hope it does get better but do not see it happening with all the cuts that are going to take place everywhere not just here.

as for helping, I help when ever I can.
take someone to the store,dr, anything I can do for the new people here I try but the point is they do not have a good system here at all for these young wives.
Germany was one of the best post I have been to.
the support that was given to the women was wounderful.
they went out of their way to make us feel at home.
they do not do that here and then they act like u are crazy when you ask a simple thing.
they are very behind here and do not want to catch up.

This is what I see and I can only speak for myself and compare from the other post I have been to.
again this is not the worst but I do not see them getting their **** together for 11,000 troops.

It is kind of sad that there isn't more done to welcome the newcomers but as you can see here the long time El Pasoans are waiting for the newcomers to welcome them, help them, assist them with making their way around this town, help them fit in.

So newcomers -- please throw out the welcome mat even for those who have lived here for 2 or 3 generations.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:38 PM

The best way to welcome people is to concentrate on the positive things not the negative. Every city and for that matter posts has things that dont please people. There are plenty of things at Ft Bliss for the families. Activities, support groups, new housing being bult, new clinics, plans for commissary and Post Exchange to increase size, small stores in the vinicity of the housing areas. The military spouses get a priority status for military installation jobs and help getting jobs off post. Child care facilities and child actvities and help for those that need some financial help for those activites. They can get good meals at the military dining facilities at really great prices. They have ACS which has a lending closet and provides help with familiy problems and welcome comittees. Movies at a very cheap price and swimming pools, free gyms, etc. They have their churchs and safest environment, patroled by Military Police and govt civilian police. I have NEVER been ANYWHERE where the chain of command doesnt welcome you and doesnt ask you if the family is settled or need help, if you do help, you get the time off and a sponsor to take you around.
The new families and soldiers are NOT being ignored or neglected. They just got the fundings to start building, the sudden change of redeployment was directed by the govt not the military. They HAVE to redeploy NOW to FT Bliss because that is the mission. Families while important KNOW that there are sacrifices to be made, it will always be mission first. If for some reason, your needs are not being met, there are places to seek help or voice concerns, but NO ONE is ignored.
There is a misleading perception of what it is like at Ft Bliss. There are many families that didnt like Germany and are very happy to be here or some other post. I have never had problems on other military installations and assignments that only had civilian housing available. Were they PERFECT, no, but we did well by doing the best we could and help each other, worked with the military to make things better. There were some bumps in the roads but did we dwell on the negative, no. 2 generations of traveling from posts to wherever.

Last edited by luplor; 02-08-2009 at 12:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso