Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 01:24 PM

756 posts, read 1,999,796 times

Advertisements

Well 1st. thing I would hope that I would be able to help anyone that needed help nomatter where they from.
I do not think it matters if they have been here a 1 week or 50 years someone needing help is just that.

luplor, I do try and stay postive that good changes are coming to this base but they are not here yet.
I also feel there is no need to make this place out to be a bed of roses because it is not.
Just by some of the post on this thread we are not always welcome here but I have seen that at other post also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 02:38 PM

270 posts, read 626,422 times
Anywhere you go, someone will not like you whether youre back in your hometown or some other place. You loved Germany, I was stationed in places there, where the Germans told you that they didnt want Americans in Germany or made it very clear that they felt superior to Americans. The ONLY exception was along the eastern bloc sectors because we were the only thing stopping the communist. Did I let it bother me,NO, did some of the Americans HATE it there, yes. I enjoyed myself and ignored the haters. I have been in places in the US, where they hated military people, so what, I went around and had a good time. I spent time in Laos and Thailand, some guys hated it there. I spent my time riding elephants, buffalo, visiting the monks and going to places doing the typical GI things, made the best of it and wouldnt trade the memories for nothing. The place I didnt like was Viet Nam, but even there, in-country R&R had some very beautiful beaches and there too, made the best of it. I have been around traveling with my father, as a dependent 18 yrs and later on my own for about 21 yrs. I was never ignored or not felt welcome by the US military and in many civilian towns. Run into egg heads, yes. Ever try wearing a uniform in Boston during the Viet Nam era. A marine buddy and I had to leave right after duty to attend college, didnt have time to change. Even there I made the best of it and had a great time.

FT Bliss may not be a bed of roses but it's not a bed of catcus either. In comparing it to other posts, it is very nice. You could have been stationed at FT Leonard Wood MO, where they are still building a 4 laner into the post and most of the people still live in real crappy wooden family housing or FT Dix NJ, where the post houses are not being renovated and crappy or FT Eustis VA, the old two story project housing and the Air Force families receive compensation for living in this substandard housing, But even in those places, there was always something nice about the area, Fshing, historical cities, hunting etc.
I am hispanic but easily mistaken for a greek or sometimes arab, my wife is a cauc. So do we have issues downtown sometimes, yes, we ignore them and go on and have a great time. Ignore those people, they are miserable with themselves and enjoy yourself. There are MANY friendly people here. This town is heavily populated with military retirees.

If the chain of command is ignoring you, again, let them know, but make sure your needs are reasonable. My gut feeling is you, like many others, fell in love with Germany and rather be there. That's ok, but make the best of it while you are here. 5 yrs you have left will go fast and then you can go wherever.

Last edited by luplor; 02-08-2009 at 03:22 PM..

Old 02-08-2009, 04:27 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
I don't think it's good to give a false rosy picture either. Everyone should give their own opinion, pros, cons, in-betweens and let new people sort it all out.

People from some other places will experience cultural shock here. If they move here, they will certainly face some situations they may not have been prepared to face. They might as well know ahead of time. They'll certainly hear various opinions after they arrive and have their own.

I think it can be helpful to tell people here what it's like - the good and the bad. Most people are smart enough to know what someone else thinks is bad might not be bad for them, same with the good but at least they get a well-rounded picture. Something you see as negative might be a postive to me and vice versa.

I know I always insist that the weather here is near perfect because to me it is, but others will insist it is not, they will say it is too hot in the summer. Someone moving here then sees that some like it hot, and you can be from a cold place and acclimate to the heat here, or maybe not but then you can live inside with refrigerated air blowing on you and still deal.

To me when people ask, I'll give them my opinion about whatever, others should give their opinions.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:58 PM

270 posts, read 626,422 times
No one is painting a rosy picture. I was simply stating, each post is what you make of it, there are many things to do and help is available. Which she may or may not be aware of it. In any case, new people could read the comments and get the wrong impression. If she doesnt like it here, then she doesnt. Cultural shock, this is still in the US. You need to go back and reread the comments before you imply she was not entitled to an opinion. WE were discussing the pros and cons.

I hope that she does have a good tour here and then when her time is up, leave with a good memory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso