Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 07:11 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistabinks View Post
I wonder what she means exactly. Keep Mexicans out completely or create a way for honest Mexicans to work in the States legally?
I'd say the latter, however, with the gloomy outlook on employment in the US, you are going to start seeing people want those jobs that are now held illegally, and so you will hear the calls to keep illegal immigrants out completely grow louder.

BTW, not all are from Mexico, the majority of course, but there are many Central American illegal immigrants here as well and from Eastern Europe, at least here in Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 07:40 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,954,930 times
Heck we have illegals here from Scotland, and Ireland.

Knowing she is from Arizona, one of the toughest states on that sorta thing.. I am sure she would be a good change of pace. With the threat of Mexico collapsing, Tank Patrols on the border, and an explosion in the war in Mexico.. We will need to get much tougher on crossings and visas.. and I think she maybe the person to handle it.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:22 PM

271 posts, read 809,856 times
I think it's funny how people want to blame the illegals when it's U.S. citizens who own the companies that hire them. I don't fault anyone who wants to feed their family. I fault the companies that are breaking our laws by hiring people they are not allowed by law to hire. Put the blame where it belongs.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:33 PM

67 posts, read 301,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
I'd say the latter, however, with the gloomy outlook on employment in the US, you are going to start seeing people want those jobs that are now held illegally, and so you will hear the calls to keep illegal immigrants out completely grow louder.
Maybe so, but no legal citizen would do that type of work for the same amount of pay. Picking lettuce for example... If you hired a legal worker you'd have to pay them a legal salary. If you did that the price of produce would sky rocket.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:14 PM

216 posts, read 732,206 times
"Nappy" as she is known here in AZ, often flip-flops positions, so who knows what she'll really do. Before her reelection, she was vetoing everything that came across her desk dealing with stopping illegal labor here in AZ. It wasn't until reelection time came around & it was starting to hurt her politically that she "adjusted" her attitude and signed the legislation. But she was definitely arm-twisted. The Republican controlled legislature here kept trying to pass these types of bills & she kept vetoing them. So underneath that law enforcement talk is a big old bleeding heart...remember that.

Oh, and I forgot, she left the State of AZ bleeding red (budget deficit). Thanks Nappy.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:55 PM

756 posts, read 2,000,031 times
Thats what I thought.
I have heard them talk about her on the other forum and it has never been that nice are that she was a good person.

But you never know maybe they will twist hard enough that she has to stand by her word.

PS. I have yet to see anyone in our government stand by their word.

Old 01-17-2009, 02:17 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabygirl View Post

Oh, and I forgot, she left the State of AZ bleeding red (budget deficit). Thanks Nappy.
LOL....i can understand how you feel as we have a 500 million dollar deficit in New Mexico and Texas has an 8 BILLION dollar deficit

Old 01-17-2009, 06:15 AM

167 posts, read 483,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeshole View Post
Get rid of the IRS all together and just have a national sales tax. Problem solved and everyone stops bitching about illegals stealing our precious back breaking labor.
No offence, but is not only about them stealing "our precious back breaking labor". It is also about all the add-ons to go with it. The school system providing education for their children, the free meal programmes, the food stamps, free health and dental care. It all adds up.

The USA has no vacancies - hell we can not even provide for our own, let alone people from other countries who break the law.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:51 AM

67 posts, read 301,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missinggreen View Post
No offence, but is not only about them stealing "our precious back breaking labor". It is also about all the add-ons to go with it. The school system providing education for their children, the free meal programmes, the food stamps, free health and dental care. It all adds up.

The USA has no vacancies - hell we can not even provide for our own, let alone people from other countries who break the law.
They also flood our country with rape and robbery cases. Im a bleeding heart liberal I guess, but If I could push a button and kick all illegals out and strengthen our own country up I would. At least then we could start helping other countries out instead of having to exploit them. I just don't see the point in drastically increasing the price of things just because its done by Americans. Its extreamly complex.

Old 01-17-2009, 01:30 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
The collapse of our economy might be inspiring some democrats to a different kind of thinking. She's right that Bush was all for the unlimited ultra-cheap labor and did next to nothing to enforce federal laws against illegal entry, employment, hiring, and wages.

I think it's time to rethink how much legal immigration is needed at a time where joblessness is rising so fast. We're the country with by far the highest number of legal immigrants admitted every year. Immigration should not be about getting cheapskate corporations the cheapest possible labor costs so that the CEO's can get multi-million dollar bonuses.

It comes down to the fact that the USA has an extremely high cost of living, and only those immigrants who have the skills, and mindset to make it here on their own should be coming -- but not just to bring down our wages to levels that no one can live on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
View detailed profiles of: