U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 09:44 AM

446 posts, read 996,570 times

Advertisements

I've moved onto refrigerated and I'm never going back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 11:39 AM

3,858 posts, read 3,983,226 times
You get a higher electricity bill with refrigerated but a higher water bill with evaporated. Evaporated has a lower initial equipment cost and can have lower overall operating costs. I don't mind evaporated but my wife can't stand it. Evaporated cools but can make the house more humid with a musty smell.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:42 PM

9,051 posts, read 12,385,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan#1 View Post
As some of you may know, I will be moving to El Paso in 2 weeks so I am looking for a place to live. I have run into some apartments that have evaporative cooling and my gf tells me that it's terrible and that I shouldn't live in an apartment that has it?

What are your thoughts on it? Good or Bad?
If you possibly can, go for refrigerated. A swamp cooler makes the overall area more humid, and can cause mold and mildew in closets and closed-up areas.

It also tends to cool only about 20 degrees more than the outside air. When it's 102 outside, it's not going to be very cool inside, at least not to me.

Alamogordo (80 miles north) has much the same climate as EP, and I hate going into shops, homes and stores that have only evaporative cooling. It's not comfortable at all, unless you really tolerate heat as Malamute does.

I thank my lucky stars that I decided to go with refrigerated air here.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:45 PM

5,080 posts, read 3,399,789 times
Yeah Cathy there is nothing like walking into a store, and just starting to sweat like a pig in heat, huh.. man I hate that too. It is more refreshing to walk into the Refrigerated air.. even though it can leave a chill.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:51 PM

9,051 posts, read 12,385,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Yeah Cathy there is nothing like walking into a store, and just starting to sweat like a pig in heat, huh.. man I hate that too. It is more refreshing to walk into the Refrigerated air.. even though it can leave a chill.
Yeeeeeessss.....yuck!

Another big advantage is that you don't have to climb up on the roof and put a cover on it for the winter. My unit IS roof-mounted, but it's a combination of gas heat/refrigerated air.

I have it checked once or twice a season, and it's worlds more comfortable.

You can look across if you're up high enough, and see the water marks running down the roofline, too, on some properties.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:41 AM

14,179 posts, read 7,381,518 times
Evaporative cooling is very comfortable to me. I like the little bit of humidity that the cooler puts into the air.
I specifically looked for a house with one - never, never, never going back to refrigerated air. It just doesn't feel natural to me.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Evaporative cooling is very comfortable to me. I like the little bit of humidity that the cooler puts into the air.
I specifically looked for a house with one - never, never, never going back to refrigerated air. It just doesn't feel natural to me.
Why not use a humidifier?

Old 01-19-2009, 04:53 PM

14,179 posts, read 7,381,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Why not use a humidifier?
It's more than just the humidity. That's a pleasant side effect, but not my primary reason for wanting evaporative cooling. I don't need, or ever want, my house to be 'cold', particularly in the summer, so there was little reason for me to have the added expense of refrigerated air, particularly since I like to keep my windows open. It makes my family crazy, but, my thermostat is never set below 78 in the summer. That's just my comfort zone.
This time of year - lots of blankets and sweaters

Old 01-19-2009, 08:37 PM

47,585 posts, read 36,146,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
It's more than just the humidity. That's a pleasant side effect, but not my primary reason for wanting evaporative cooling. I don't need, or ever want, my house to be 'cold', particularly in the summer, so there was little reason for me to have the added expense of refrigerated air, particularly since I like to keep my windows open. It makes my family crazy, but, my thermostat is never set below 78 in the summer. That's just my comfort zone.
This time of year - lots of blankets and sweaters

That's how I am. I don't like being cold in the winter but I sure don't like being cold in the summer. I agree with you, if you have to have air conditioners on, the evaporative makes a more pleasant kind of cooling. Not nearly as drastic, it's much easier to walk outside or into a house in the summer when it's evaporative versus refrigerated.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:18 PM

I understand that Mrs. Lily. I am the kinda guy that likes to live near the gulf or large body of water and have the front and back windows and doors open for the nice flow of air coming off the water to keep me cool. at night open the window vents and keep your bedroom window cracked and man it is like heaven, with a ceiling fan on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso