Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 02:02 PM

700 posts, read 2,711,774 times

Advertisements

As some of you may know, I will be moving to El Paso in 2 weeks so I am looking for a place to live. I have run into some apartments that have evaporative cooling and my gf tells me that it's terrible and that I shouldn't live in an apartment that has it?

What are your thoughts on it? Good or Bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 02:20 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,446,034 times
If you have to have air conditioning here which you might need in an apartment, I would go with evaporative. Refrigerated will make a very high electric bill for one, evaporative feels better.

Old 01-17-2009, 02:36 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,110,289 times
The climate seems to be changing in El Paso. It also depends on the construction of your house. At my previous home, evaporative coolers did not get the job done. I made the switch to an energy efficient refrigerated unit and could not have been happier. I still have swamp coolers in my new home but I will probaby make the change this year. Older refridgerated units cost a lot more to run in the summer. Not as much anymore. Of course all this applies to your home. You mentioned moving to an apartment. There are several things to consider.

1. Who pays for the electric bill? If the apartment does, by all means, get one w/ refrigerated air.
2. Swamp coolers (evaporative) are still the norm here. If there is a dry heat (which is normal), evaporative is all you need. Evaporative coolers are worthless (imo) once the weather gets humid.

I like it very chilly in my home. Yet I can set a refrigerated unit to 78 degrees and still maintain a very cool house with the use of celing fans. If you prefer the feeling of cool air constantly blowing then you are better off with a swamp cooler.

Did I ramble on too much or did any of that make sense?

Old 01-17-2009, 02:41 PM

5 posts, read 18,939 times
Many times El Paso does not have a high humidity rate. But every four years El Paso has a wet summer, when that happens refrigerated will be the only air conditioner that will work. As an El Pasoan for most of my live I would recommend refrigerated air since 100 degree weather with humidity is not a pleasant experience.

Old 01-17-2009, 02:42 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,446,034 times
Yes -- how chilly one likes it makes a difference. I don't like the temperatures inside to be much different from outside because I'm outside a lot, to me refrigerated air makes for too much a jolt every time you go in and out. I prefer nothing but wide open windows and a ceiling fan when there isn't much breeze moving through but in an apartment you might not have windows on all sides that can be open that the breezes in.

I very much dislike that "hum" of an airconditioner running. An evaporative cooler is really nothing but a fan blowing behind water which also helps add a bit of humidity when it's baking hot. But then I like baking hot with a breeze.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:39 PM

271 posts, read 806,498 times
I'm fine with swamp coolers but my wife needs refrigerated air. It just all depends on the person and where you come from.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:48 PM

700 posts, read 2,711,774 times
^ I grew up in Dallas and am only accustomed to refrigerated air since the summers are always hot and humid. My gf says that evaporative cooling also emits a nasty odor.. I think I'm going to stick with what I know.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:47 PM

729 posts, read 2,059,024 times
Dump the evap...get the Refriged!! It rocks!!!

Old 01-18-2009, 12:13 AM

507 posts, read 1,653,687 times
Evaporative coolers also tend to not work as well during 100+ degree temps. go refrig.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:49 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,889,033 times
El Paso is becoming more humid, thus Evap.. is not working like it used too. We are considering going with central air.. and doing refrig.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso