U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 06:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,827 times

Advertisements

Yep, I'm guilty of talking smack about El Paso but I've been put in my place by the Author, Elroy Bode in which he praises the beauty of his adopted home, El Paso, Texas. It's the city we all hate to love and you all know that's true. I lived in Austin for twelve years and Santa Fe for one and will admit that both are absolutely beautiful but have become saturated and (forgive my french) "whored out." The traffic is horrendous in Austin and development is out of control. The best thing about El Paso is that it's an untapped market. There are architectually beautiful buildings sitting downtown in disrepair just waiting for someone who has balls enough to renovate them. I mean, come on, John Wesley Hardin was shot during a card game downtown and now that building is a dollar store! Do you realize the potential of recreating the Acme Saloon and the circumstances of his death?! It's mind boggling that nobody has done that yet. If I had the capital I'd definitely pursue it. Lots of people don't even realize that El Paso was once the Broadway of the Southwest. We boasted the most theatres per capita, at the turn of the century, and it wasn't thought twice of to see the upper crust of society strolling downtown in a horse drawn buggy. What the heck has happened to us?

Anyway, that's the end of my wine induced rant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2007, 11:30 PM

877 posts, read 2,723,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisostimo View Post
Yep, I'm guilty of talking smack about El Paso but I've been put in my place by the Author, Elroy Bode in which he praises the beauty of his adopted home, El Paso, Texas. It's the city we all hate to love and you all know that's true. I lived in Austin for twelve years and Santa Fe for one and will admit that both are absolutely beautiful but have become saturated and (forgive my french) "whored out." The traffic is horrendous in Austin and development is out of control. The best thing about El Paso is that it's an untapped market. There are architectually beautiful buildings sitting downtown in disrepair just waiting for someone who has balls enough to renovate them. I mean, come on, John Wesley Hardin was shot during a card game downtown and now that building is a dollar store! Do you realize the potential of recreating the Acme Saloon and the circumstances of his death?! It's mind boggling that nobody has done that yet. If I had the capital I'd definitely pursue it. Lots of people don't even realize that El Paso was once the Broadway of the Southwest. We boasted the most theatres per capita, at the turn of the century, and it wasn't thought twice of to see the upper crust of society strolling downtown in a horse drawn buggy. What the heck has happened to us?

Anyway, that's the end of my wine induced rant.
I agree with you crisostimo, I think that Downtown will get fixed up eventually with the revitalization plan but that might take years, though it will be a good start.

Old 03-12-2007, 01:56 PM

254 posts, read 576,508 times
Default el paso vs. whored out Santa Fe

I live in Santa Fe, and after being here for six months I'd rather live on the border in El Paso. At least people down there don't pretend to be something else, or have a wine and cheese elitish liberal mentality about everything. Not to mention the very cheap prices. While El Paso is far from perfect, it beats Santa Fe in terms of the authenticity of its people.

Old 03-12-2007, 02:25 PM

11,878 posts, read 33,579,448 times
I've never been to El Paso but it is increasingly becoming one of those cities that I'd like to visit. I like the mountains and low humidity. I once lived in Reno, Nevada and from what I can tell, El Paso and Reno are similar cities. High elevation and low humidity. I'm presuming the summers are about the same (mid 90s for highs and 50 or so at night) but the winters in El Paso are milder?

Old 03-12-2007, 02:34 PM

BTW, I never realized that El Paso is so BIG, with almost 600,000 people. That's a good sized city!

Old 03-12-2007, 03:01 PM

3,198 posts, read 11,348,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I've never been to El Paso but it is increasingly becoming one of those cities that I'd like to visit. I like the mountains and low humidity. I once lived in Reno, Nevada and from what I can tell, El Paso and Reno are similar cities. High elevation and low humidity. I'm presuming the summers are about the same (mid 90s for highs and 50 or so at night) but the winters in El Paso are milder?
Hi -

It is definitely true that you would find some similarities, climate-wise, between Reno and El Paso.

However, El Paso is warmer than Reno, NV year round. I have always considered, meteorogically, Reno a slightly cooler version of Albuquerque, NM. El Paso is warmer than both year-round.

El Paso's days in the summers can average mid-90s for highs in the days, however, they can easily go up to upper-90s and lower-100s as well quite a bit. Also, nights are not really 50 in El Paso in the summer...generally mid-60s and low-70s. El Paso doesn't quite get the "cool off" at nights that Albuquerque gets, that Reno really gets, etc. However, there is still a nice cool down.

But as you say...low humidity...mountians, etc. It surely is a desert! A very wonderful climate.

Winters are great...average highs in the high 50s and mid-60s with the coldest overnight lows usually still hovering slightly above freezing. Many huge palm trees and even some saguaro cacti growing around the city.

I encourage a visit for you! I think you'd love the weather!

Old 03-12-2007, 03:12 PM

Thanks EnjoyEP. I looked up the weather on weatherunderground and sure enough, you nailed it - the weather there is warmer than Albuquerque or Reno (which in the Winter is a GOOD thing) but still has that low humidity and mountains... LOVE THAT!

I suppose that even if the temp goes above 100 in the summer it's not nearly as oppressive as living here in the DFW metroplex. I like it here, but sometimes I wish the humidity was lower. The winters here are great and not too cold as well.

Old 03-12-2007, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Thanks EnjoyEP. I looked up the weather on weatherunderground and sure enough, you nailed it - the weather there is warmer than Albuquerque or Reno (which in the Winter is a GOOD thing) but still has that low humidity and mountains... LOVE THAT!

I suppose that even if the temp goes above 100 in the summer it's not nearly as oppressive as living here in the DFW metroplex. I like it here, but sometimes I wish the humidity was lower. The winters here are great and not too cold as well.
No problem Synopsis...I am admittedly a bit of a weather geek.

It goes sort of like this:

-Albuquerque is slightly warmer than Reno year-round, and El Paso is slightly warmer than Albuquerque year-round.

But as for summers, yeah, if you love dry heat, you'll love El Paso's heat. DFW has great winter-time weather for the most part, however, as you say, the summers are HUMID. El Paso's on the other hand are sunny and dry.

I will say this though - even in Albuquerque this is very true - while the lack of humidity is great, the sun is INTENSE given the lack of clouds generally, the altitude, the dry air, etc. More intense sun in this region than you'd get in the east or midwest. (So a shade tree is always welcome).

But there is a great thing in El Paso to sit in a 98 degree day under a palm tree, pool-side, letting the filtered sun beat on you (just wear sun screen!)...

Old 03-12-2007, 04:39 PM

13,140 posts, read 36,773,327 times
EnjoyEP ...if you ever move down to El Paso from Albuquerque and run for Mayor you have my vote dude. Thanks for always being a positive person. later !

Old 03-13-2007, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry o View Post
EnjoyEP ...if you ever move down to El Paso from Albuquerque and run for Mayor you have my vote dude. Thanks for always being a positive person. later !
Hey, that works for me Harry O! I don't know...there is just something about the sunny, dry, and warm weather of the Middle Rio Grande / Mesilla Valley region that transfixes me...(maybe just the sharp contrast to my growing up years spent in Wisconsin). I do know that my grandmother-in-law who lives in El Paso and is a Mexican native (long ago became a U.S. citizen) said that she has never met a gringo who loves EP as much as I do!

But yeah, maybe someday I will give Mayor Cook a run for his money...someone has to do something about calming down those taxes right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or