Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 09:58 AM

83 posts, read 424,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Not everyone is into bars and clubs but of course those can be a way to meet some people. I stand by what I wrote, El Paso is friendly enough but it's not all that welcoming a city, in fact I doubt there is a welcome wagon here. Some workplaces are friendly and newcomers are included and some workplaces are not.

In many neighborhoods, someone can move in and almost never see the neighbors. Here many people have rock landscaping in the front yard so you'll never see them mowing a lawn or out in the front yard, and the back yards are often surrounded by high rock fences and you can live quite isolated from the neighbors (generally a good thing in my opinion) and you don't have the open neighborhoods with open unfenced yards like you see in some cities where the backyards are like one big park for kids to play.

People can be friendly enough in stores and restaurants but they're not going to invite you out for a beer -- usually. Like I said -- it's friendly enough but it's not friendly like some places are. It's not friendly like small towns can be (which can be TOO friendly) and even the bars here aren't like the friendly taverns you find in some places.

Joining a gym is similar to my suggestion of joining some kind of group, some activity that brings you with like minded. Then you find friendly people - but you have to go looking for them.
You should come and try Minnesota We have lots of open yards with no fences and people still don't exactly come out to talk or make friends. We have green grass in the summer and people mowing their lawns and things of the like. I think it's becoming more of an issue with our country rather than just cities. People seem to be less open as a whole, more to themselves. I am sure there are cities out their that are extremely friendly but who wants to keep jumping around from city to city to find out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 01:37 PM

83 posts, read 424,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan#1 View Post
I made a video showing my new neighborhood in the west side.. thought some of you would like to see it.

YouTube - I Moved to El Paso, TX
Hey Tex, How is the rent their? And places similar, are they reasonably priced? I have been dreaming to move to El Paso but who knows if it will ever happen but I would sure like to be in a better climate. Minnesota is a little rough during the winter Once again thanks for the video!

Old 03-23-2009, 07:40 PM

700 posts, read 2,715,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepedemaz View Post
Hey Tex, How is the rent their? And places similar, are they reasonably priced? I have been dreaming to move to El Paso but who knows if it will ever happen but I would sure like to be in a better climate. Minnesota is a little rough during the winter Once again thanks for the video!
The rent is relatively inexpensive. I'm paying $565 a month and that includes cable tv. I am looking for someone to sublease my apartment right now though. I'm out of here by the end of the week as I'm moving back to Dallas! The city was alright, but the job market is terrible. Also, be sure to learn some Spanish... andale pues, si and aha are phrases I hear all the time around here.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:21 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,521,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan#1 View Post
The rent is relatively inexpensive. I'm paying $565 a month and that includes cable tv. I am looking for someone to sublease my apartment right now though. I'm out of here by the end of the week as I'm moving back to Dallas! The city was alright, but the job market is terrible. Also, be sure to learn some Spanish... andale pues, si and aha are phrases I hear all the time around here.
Well.....fue un placer conocerte...... Hasta la vista, adios, Good luck on your move back to Dallas! Stay in touch with the El Paso board.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:30 AM

700 posts, read 2,715,246 times
^ Awh how sweet! lol

El Paso is what it is and I could easily see myself living here (not for the rest of my life, but for a while to say the least). El Paso needs to lure more 'big business.' I'm sure I'll have a much easier time finding a job in Dallas. I havent even been getting interviews out here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
View detailed profiles of: