U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-12-2009, 02:51 PM

479 posts, read 811,708 times

Advertisements

thanks luplor! I think i've heard of that steak house and i can't wait to try it out! We love steak ~ is it cattlemans steak house? I think that was the name, but can't be for sure. Thanks for all the tips. Im soaking it all in :0)
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 05:42 PM

13,024 posts, read 24,442,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsrobinson73 View Post
yes 6 foot 3 ~ your right, that would be what i prefer :0) Keep in mind im not there so i am just looking online for all my info. I was under the impression that the north east was all new housing (thats what an agent told me but i dont really care for this agent they seemed to have an agenda) I will have to lookinto "northeast"..............i don't like the houses that are stacked on top of the neighbors and no yard..............man HOUSE HUNTING is stressful! hehehe
Firstly ......yes Luplor there some bad areas in Northeast that i myself wouldn't live in.

Mrsrobinson.....i'd say about 75 % of Northeast was built in the 1950's and 1960's as the mainly new or newish areas are around the Patriot Freeway on the far northern edges of Northeast (Kenworthy and also McCombs avenues). I'd stay off around Dyer st especially south of Transmountain Road along with the Irvin High school cluster area.

But for the most part you can live in any area in Northeast and get to Ft. Bliss in 20 minutes or less. However i agree about working with the realtors to see where you'd be happiest as we are just offering you basic info to help you get to know EP a tad better before you arrive.

6/3

Old 02-13-2009, 06:03 AM

6 foot 3 ~~ I appreciate everyones thoughts on here and honestly find the input I get from you guys to be more helpful. The agent that I was talking about turned out to actually work FOR a contractor and thats why she was pushing us to buy a brand new home and we couldn't figure out WHY she wasn't listening to what we actually wanted. We really like the guy we have now, but he says every area is great ~ and while i know there is good and bad in every area ~~~ its the real people like you all that can help me with the rest! Sooo i really appreciate it.

We have found a beautiful home in Horizon, that has a nice yard and is not *too* close to the neighbors ~ (( keep in mind this is relative as any house made in the last 10 years is closer than i'd like lol)) and the neighborhood looks nice ~ from what we can see online. But we keep getting "warned" about the commute. So im trying to figure out if its really that bad or just a matter of perspective. When we were stationed at fort lewis in washington, we purposely bought a house that was about 20 miles from post, and my husband loved it. We didn't consider that a
"commute" ~~~~ so im wondering if horizon is about the same ~ where WE wouldnt' consider it a commute. Were used to decent sized area's where the area you want is 7 exits down the free way, ya know? anyway, thanks just wanted to make sure you realized i am appreciating the info you guys are supplying!

Old 02-13-2009, 09:22 AM

701 posts, read 1,154,707 times
Default Glad

Glad you discovered your original agent was a contractor rep. I always thought that was strange here and when she was pushing you in a certain direction, that's what it sounded like.

I lived in CA and though we may gripe about any commute in EP, NOTHING compared to my CA commute....25 miles = 1.5+ hours. Even with traffic on I-10 or N. Mesa, I still get home within 20-25 minutes tops (far west side from UTEP area). I guess what folks thnk is a long commute is relative.

Good luck with the house hunt and move.

Quote:
6 foot 3 ~~ I appreciate everyones thoughts on here and honestly find the input I get from you guys to be more helpful. The agent that I was talking about turned out to actually work FOR a contractor and thats why she was pushing us to buy a brand new home and we couldn't figure out WHY she wasn't listening to what we actually wanted. We really like the guy we have now, but he says every area is great ~ and while i know there is good and bad in every area ~~~ its the real people like you all that can help me with the rest! Sooo i really appreciate it.

We have found a beautiful home in Horizon, that has a nice yard and is not *too* close to the neighbors ~ (( keep in mind this is relative as any house made in the last 10 years is closer than i'd like lol)) and the neighborhood looks nice ~ from what we can see online. But we keep getting "warned" about the commute. So im trying to figure out if its really that bad or just a matter of perspective. When we were stationed at fort lewis in washington, we purposely bought a house that was about 20 miles from post, and my husband loved it. We didn't consider that a
"commute" ~~~~ so im wondering if horizon is about the same ~ where WE wouldnt' consider it a commute. Were used to decent sized area's where the area you want is 7 exits down the free way, ya know? anyway, thanks just wanted to make sure you realized i am appreciating the info you guys are supplying!

Old 02-13-2009, 09:23 AM

34 posts, read 47,863 times
the drive from horizon the bliss will be like driving down I-5 from Olympia to Lewis. I lived in the Olympia/Lacey area and it was worth the drive. I was at fort Lewis for 9 years : D
as for real estate agent, I got a buyers agent, so he looks at the entire market not just 1 certain companies listings + I tell him exactly what I want and he has to look for it

Old 02-13-2009, 12:55 PM

Default Horizon City Commute To Ft. Bliss

I'm wondering as maybe those who know Horizon City well..........can you access Montana Blvd from Horizon City so she (Mrsrobinson) can then connect to Loop 375 and connect on over to Ft. Bkiss which i'd think wouldn't be too bad of a drive or can you only leave Horizon City via I-10 and then head down to Airway Blvd exit and head north up to Ft. Bliss as that would be a bad commute in my thinking .....

Old 02-13-2009, 01:47 PM

271 posts, read 487,167 times
You can access Pellicano also from Horizon in order to avoid I-10. I also think Montana is accessible from Horizon. That would cut commute time to 15 min. or less is my guess.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:10 PM

wow you guys are awesome! Thanks for all this input! Yes we had lots of military friends who lived in Lacey and Olympia! And it was far enough away from post to feel "freee" of the army for a few hours each nite hehe. We lived in Puyallup ~ and my husband was more than happy to live there and drive to work each day. Honestly, 18 miles just doesn't seem too bad and were kinda leaning towards horizon city. But, Im not "not" looking at far north east either. i have family in alamogordo that i'll be visiting occasionally and i know that horizon city is furthest from there. Well thanks EVERYONE!

Old 03-18-2009, 07:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,197 times
Quote:
wouldn't the additional troops help boost the economy even just a little? I mean, that many troops are going to need places to live, stores to shop at, and mexican food to buy??? Especially troops coming from Germany as there is NO shopping here at all and believe me the woman are just ready to shop at walmart, target, and MALLS.............. would that not help the economy at all?
The additional troops will boost the economy. Some people don't want the military here, but I think if Fort Bliss was one of the BRAC posts, El Paso would have felt a tremendous decline in the economy.

I'm an Army Spouse from Fort Bliss and I can truly say it is a magnificent place to live. We have lived in the area for over 10 years and love it. There is crime no matter where you live. I did read a report where some business owners were concerned that soldiers and/or their children are the cause of the crime in the area. I don't think that's the case. Once you get to Fort Bliss/El Paso, get involved in the community on and off post. Most of the people I have met are not affiliated with the military and I have created some great friendships and learned so much about the history of El Paso. It's all what you make it. There is information available specifically for spouses. You can PM me for more info

Old 03-18-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveElPaso View Post
The additional troops will boost the economy. Some people don't want the military here, but I think if Fort Bliss was one of the BRAC posts, El Paso would have felt a tremendous decline in the economy.

I'm an Army Spouse from Fort Bliss and I can truly say it is a magnificent place to live. We have lived in the area for over 10 years and love it. There is crime no matter where you live. I did read a report where some business owners were concerned that soldiers and/or their children are the cause of the crime in the area. I don't think that's the case. Once you get to Fort Bliss/El Paso, get involved in the community on and off post. Most of the people I have met are not affiliated with the military and I have created some great friendships and learned so much about the history of El Paso. It's all what you make it. There is information available specifically for spouses. You can PM me for more info
That was a great post ''ILoveElPaso'' . (I think USMC has some compitition ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso