Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 12:31 AM

2,619 posts, read 6,105,317 times

Advertisements

As long as you are involved in your children's education, they will probably do fine. After seeing some schools in other parts of the country, I have no complaints about any of the schools here. The schools here aren't perfect, but w/ a little involvment, you should be good to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 12:56 AM

479 posts, read 1,287,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistabinks View Post
As long as you are involved in your children's education, they will probably do fine. After seeing some schools in other parts of the country, I have no complaints about any of the schools here. The schools here aren't perfect, but w/ a little involvment, you should be good to go.
very good point!

Old 05-20-2009, 12:45 PM

34 posts, read 80,961 times
my kids have been going to school for 3 weeks now in Horizon and I'm pretty happy with them!

Old 05-22-2009, 02:37 PM

36 posts, read 164,099 times
Hello Everyone, this is a great post...it's been going for 5 months. I have foound it quite helpful. My DH finds out on Tues if he is going to Ft BLiss, 99.9% chance I believe. I thought I would check in and see if anything has changed in El Paso. I notice on the real estate sites there are not a lot of homes for rent on the NE, perhaps more will come available when we talk to a realtor. I still haven't looked into the private schools on the NE but I will be looking into that. If anyone can recommend some other good private Christian schools I would appreciate it. I hope Mrs. Robinson is getting settled in and look fwd to reading her next post.

Old 05-24-2009, 12:39 PM

7 posts, read 12,757 times
As far as the BAH my husband has been in the Army for 15 years his rank is an E8 for FT Bliss he will receive a little bit over $1100..

Old 05-24-2009, 09:11 PM

Well Im HERE!!!!! Wow its been a crazy week! Its def. different from Germany, but i can say that people here are really nice! And Taco Cabana has yummy tacos! hehe. I haven't gotten around too much. made one trip to alamogordo and then a little shopping. Trying to get settled into our new house. I love it its beautiful! Even saw my first centipede hehehe.

Old 06-05-2009, 03:53 AM

14 posts, read 51,873 times
My wife and I are also headed to Bliss in August and I have enjoyed reading the posts. So how are you liking Horizon City so far?

Old 06-05-2009, 07:31 PM

im actually really enjoying it. I LOVE my house, and, despite what a lot say, its really not *that* far to shopping and town. Its 10 -15 minutes TOPS to some decent shopping. For the house I have, its worth it to me, and my husband didn't want to live too close to Bliss anyway. Its very quiet and so far, people have been soo nice. Soo hehe SO FAR, so good. Time will tell! I wish you a smooth PCS and can't wait to welcome ya to sunny el paso!

Old 06-06-2009, 09:25 AM

5 posts, read 13,431 times
mrsrobinson thanks so much for starting this post! It's been so helpful-- although it's rough trying to get through all 17 pages!

My husband is PCSing to El Paso in January and I'm trying to find a cool place for us to live. He wants a decent commute to post (10 or so minutes to the gate) and I want to be able to walk to get some food or coffee. Basically I'm not looking to live in a subdivision (maybe I'm wrong but I get the impression that's what all of East El Paso is like.) Right now I'm thinking about Kern and the surrounding area, and north Central. I'd appreciate any info/opnions/etc anyone has on these places, or any others in the area!

Can anyone recommend a good realtor? I am trying to arrange a one-day trip out there in August (great time to visit Texas, eh?) and see some neighborhoods, apts and houses.

Again, good luck in El Paso, mrsrobinson!

Old 06-06-2009, 10:42 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,415,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbitface View Post
mrsrobinson thanks so much for starting this post! It's been so helpful-- although it's rough trying to get through all 17 pages!

My husband is PCSing to El Paso in January and I'm trying to find a cool place for us to live. He wants a decent commute to post (10 or so minutes to the gate) and I want to be able to walk to get some food or coffee. Basically I'm not looking to live in a subdivision (maybe I'm wrong but I get the impression that's what all of East El Paso is like.) Right now I'm thinking about Kern and the surrounding area, and north Central. I'd appreciate any info/opnions/etc anyone has on these places, or any others in the area!

Can anyone recommend a good realtor? I am trying to arrange a one-day trip out there in August (great time to visit Texas, eh?) and see some neighborhoods, apts and houses.

Again, good luck in El Paso, mrsrobinson!

Kern would not be 10 minutes to the Fort Bliss gates, I would recommend central, near the base. I'd get a coffee maker myself but you can walk to some places Central, near the base. Most neighborhoods have at least some little cafe or diner and all have the chain fast food places.

In a way I think that in spite of El Paso being a car kind of town, the Northeast because of geography is somewhat stretched out -- it has to lay between the mountain and the base. Plus there's the airport so almost any area is a few blocks from the main thoroughfares where there are coffee and food places, places within walking distance.

August is a great month in El Paso. There could still be some rain going on but in monsoon season, the day is mostly sunny and the rains are short but intense. It's not real hot here in August. We're actually in the hot time of the year now and it's not hot. The rains come in early July and cool things down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso