U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-21-2009, 04:07 PM

5,080 posts, read 3,241,365 times

Advertisements

I tried to rep you for this post Luplor. Great advice.

OHH SPORE INSTALLED! Time to go make me a little creature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luplor View Post
Mrs Robinson, if your husband hasnt been assigned a sponsor, have him write a letter to the Commander or 1SG asking some of these questions, stating your plans and depending your husband's MOS, state his experience, education and type of assignment he would like, it helps. Read the El Paso Times on-line to get a feel for the city and check the real estate section or go-online with real estate firms. We got our dream home by looking on-line.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 04:40 PM

479 posts, read 802,941 times
Quote:
Mrsrobinson.....did you know that NMDOT widened U.S. 54 from 2 lanes to 4 lanes from El Paso to Alamogordo in early 2000's.

Cloudcroft and Ruidoso are just so beautiful over here.
6 / 3 ~ no I didn't know that! I bet that makes for a much nicer drive! Cool!

Old 01-21-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Mrs Robinson, if your husband hasnt been assigned a sponsor, have him write a letter to the Commander or 1SG asking some of these questions, stating your plans and depending your husband's MOS, state his experience, education and type of assignment he would like, it helps. Read the El Paso Times on-line to get a feel for the city and check the real estate section or go-online with real estate firms. We got our dream home by looking on-line.

Luplor ~ thanks for the good advice. And we have been looking at houses online ~ im excited to get this process started, but unfortunately we have a few more months :0) Until then im gleening all I can :0) thanks to all!

Old 01-21-2009, 05:30 PM

756 posts, read 1,282,432 times
I think u will be fine.
I would think long and hard before buying anything only because we know people that brought there homes here and now want to move in can not sell it.
Try to find a DR. off of post, you will be much happier.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:12 PM

56 posts, read 186,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsrobinson73 View Post
Hello all :0)
I hesitate to post yet ANOTHER thread about "what its like to live in El Paso". I have been reading the El Paso forums for a week straight ~ i think my eyes are BUGGY even. And now im so scaired! I hear so many BAD THINGS about El Paso, and the people who post positive things are kind of told "hey thats YOUR opinion, but if you be honest you'd tell them the truth"

BOTTOM LINE..............being in the military our wages are the same no matter where we go ~ so, that being said, is it reasonably affordable for a military family to get a nice decent house there? We will probably be there for a long time, and maybe even just stay there. I was born and raised in alamogordo for the first half of my life, but its been a long time. The talk of property taxes SCAIRE me. I've owned houses in california and washington, but to be honest dont' even know what the taxes were (bad i know) but i just know that on a $150,ooo.oo house our monthlyl payment was $1200.00

We are going there, regardless, but i would like to beleive there are redeeming qualties about El Paso other than just good weather and mexican food! Not that those aren't good qualities! I have three kids and jsut want to live and be happy.

I plan on taking the kids all over new mexico and texas for day and weekend trips and well anyway, just looking for a new angle here maybe?

he he i really have read almost all the threads and have really enjoyed looking at the pics of el paso on the pic thread

thanks...........

mrsrobinson
Welcome to El Paso mrsrobinson! If you like beatiful sunsets, sunshine and appreciate the desert southwest, you will like El Paso very much. Don't be so scared about some negative comments on this board since every city forum has them. For example I was reading a Tucson forum about 53 pages long trying to discourage a mother from Ohio to move to that city. My brother is a local realtor and he tells me that although the market has slowed down everywhere and El Paso is no exception, the market here is in much better shape than other places. There are many master planned communities about to break ground in the Northeast, East and West El Paso with beautiful homes and breathtaking views of the Franklin Mountains. So I would encourage you to look around and do your research and your family could enjoy the great American dream!! Once again welcome to El Paso, ranked the 2nd or 3rd safest large city in America for the last 8 years!!

Old 01-21-2009, 07:28 PM

13,014 posts, read 24,184,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsrobinson73 View Post
6 / 3 ~ no I didn't know that! I bet that makes for a much nicer drive! Cool!
Definately safer ! Just watch out for the NM state cop around Orogrande .

Old 01-21-2009, 07:29 PM

13,014 posts, read 24,184,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1209 View Post
Welcome to El Paso mrsrobinson! If you like beatiful sunsets, sunshine and appreciate the desert southwest, you will like El Paso very much. Don't be so scared about some negative comments on this board since every city forum has them. For example I was reading a Tucson forum about 53 pages long trying to discourage a mother from Ohio to move to that city. My brother is a local realtor and he tells me that although the market has slowed down everywhere and El Paso is no exception, the market here is in much better shape than other places. There are many master planned communities about to break ground in the Northeast, East and West El Paso with beautiful homes and breathtaking views of the Franklin Mountains. So I would encourage you to look around and do your research and your family could enjoy the great American dream!! Once again welcome to El Paso, ranked the 2nd or 3rd safest large city in America for the last 8 years!!
Nice post Fred and hope you continue to post on here .

Old 01-22-2009, 12:40 AM

THANKS FRED! That is true, there are negative things about each city, and positives as well. Thanks so much.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:27 AM

270 posts, read 387,753 times
Thanks, Muh. Mrs Robinson, I love the view of the Franklin Mountains every morning with the sun rise, very breath taking. Welcome to El Paso!

Old 01-22-2009, 10:25 AM

thank you guys!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso