Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2009, 09:08 PM

479 posts, read 1,287,442 times

Advertisements

well thanks for the tidbits guys. The houses seem nice out in Horizon ~ and for my husband 18 miles//45 minutes doens't seem too bad. Were ready to be off post mix into a regular community, and the house is reaaallly nice too. I haven't lived anywhere where traffic wasn't an issue ~ especially during "rush hours"............so while its an issue in El Paso ~ i think its an issue anytime you have people and jobs (which is a good thing, right?) LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 09:14 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,415,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsrobinson73 View Post
well thanks for the tidbits guys. The houses seem nice out in Horizon ~ and for my husband 18 miles//45 minutes doens't seem too bad. Were ready to be off post mix into a regular community, and the house is reaaallly nice too. I haven't lived anywhere where traffic wasn't an issue ~ especially during "rush hours"............so while its an issue in El Paso ~ i think its an issue anytime you have people and jobs (which is a good thing, right?) LOL
I don't know much about Horizon, but I would keep the possible hike in gas prices in mind. I believe they are headed back up.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I don't know much about Horizon, but I would keep the possible hike in gas prices in mind. I believe they are headed back up.
yes thats a good point............thanks... what is the prices right about now?

Old 02-12-2009, 08:41 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,415,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsrobinson73 View Post
yes thats a good point............thanks... what is the prices right about now?
About 2.00 a gallon but seem to be headed up. Not long ago they were up to about 4.00 a gallon which would make your commute add up if they get back that high again. I suspect gas prices will be going up a lot, for one they always go up very high in time for summer, but the economy could drive them up.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:02 AM

man this is all so confusing! If Horizon is "too far" and from what im reading the "east" is turning into "cookie cutter houses/neighborhoods" and anything i like in the West is a little of my price range.............im stumped. Thanks for the info. Im sure the gas prices will go up again eventually. Inevitably. (for right now though, thats great compared to what were payin :0)

Old 02-12-2009, 09:37 AM

270 posts, read 623,326 times
Gas is going to be expensive anywhere you go, only savings would be to live on post and reduce commuting time. Have you had a chance to look at the new housing on post? The new ones are very comparable to the nice homes off post. You can afford a house on the Westside, just like the East, depends what you want. I found a few very nice houses for my son on the westside, very affordable, just have to look. Took a few days on the internet but theyre there. Buying a house is always stressful and time consuming, you will do fine, we all go thru this. Just got a thought, check with your husband's future unit and see if anyone lives in that area and will split the cost of commuting.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:04 AM

Thanks Luplor ~ we do not want to live on post, and we want to buy. We dont' mind a commute either, which is why we were looking in Horizon. We happen to be on post right now ~ but previously we have had up to 45 minute commutes, and living away from "work" definately has its merits. But we want to buy wisely. We are putting money down and its our lifes savings so were really trying to be wise. Thanks for the tips on the westside. may i ask your personal preference on areas to live in el paso?

Old 02-12-2009, 10:44 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,497,895 times
Mrsrobinson......didn't i read that you said you prefer an older established home and neighborhood with trees etc...

If i'm correct why wouldn't you want to live in Northeast El Paso which is also next to Ft. Bliss so your travel time would be short.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:27 PM

yes 6 foot 3 ~ your right, that would be what i prefer :0) Keep in mind im not there so i am just looking online for all my info. I was under the impression that the north east was all new housing (thats what an agent told me but i dont really care for this agent they seemed to have an agenda) I will have to lookinto "northeast"..............i don't like the houses that are stacked on top of the neighbors and no yard..............man HOUSE HUNTING is stressful! hehehe

Old 02-12-2009, 01:31 PM

270 posts, read 623,326 times
I live and enjoy the Westside because the traffic while it is busy, it's not as bad as the east. The east reminds me of a lot of the areas outside a post or base. You know neon signs everywhere, car lots, places to eat, malls, etc. Beautiful view of Juarez at night on the eastside. Eastside doesnt look bad, it just has that hurried look. The west appears to be concentrating more on residences. Childrens schools are better on the westside from what teachers tell me. Most of the buisnesses are on the east side. We can still see far into the desert and enjoy the sun rise and sunsets and of course mountains. I live near the country club, there are some $$$ houses very near, but also there are some houses here that people are shocked how reasonable the houses are if you just dig a bit. We had one guy sell his place for 140,000 in an area where houses go for very much more. Nothing wrong with the house just an older fella moving. The area is quiet and rare to hear about any crime. 6ft, I dont know much about the NE but I believe it all would depend where in the NE you would live, it does have it's problems. I have been to Horizon and the houses are beautiful, crime is also rare there. My suggestion would be to have the realtor show you a few houses in the different areas and ask the tough questions. After all it is your money. Im sure other people on here will talk up their area up. To me EP is just a beautiful city, some strange folks just like anywhere else but most are good. Depnding on where you live in the west, it could take 30 minutes to Ft Bliss. Oh yes, take the family to Fabens, tx, a littel ride but worth the trip. They have a steakhouse, GREAT FOOD, it is a western style ranch. The ranch has been a set for many movies. Best steak I have had! Some german guy came here yrs ago and started small and now the steak house makes the food channels. Anyway, no matter where you decide to live you will love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso