Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 12:00 PM

2,625 posts, read 11,192,771 times

Advertisements

I LOVE UTEP, again I LOVE IT!!!!!,but every year, its constant dissapointment, this years bball team was supposed to compete w memphis for the cusa crown, and thyre struggling, the football team again crumbled in the end, and failed to make a bowl game, every year, its like we coming up short~! I want utep to be one of the elite teams mid major teams in the nation, like boise st, utah, byu, hawaii, will we ever get over that hump?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 01:01 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,426,397 times
It's a vicious cycle. To win games you need good players, to recruit good players you need to win games.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:03 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,524,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVOW View Post
I LOVE UTEP, again I LOVE IT!!!!!,but every year, its constant dissapointment, this years bball team was supposed to compete w memphis for the cusa crown, and thyre struggling, the football team again crumbled in the end, and failed to make a bowl game, every year, its like we coming up short~! I want utep to be one of the elite teams mid major teams in the nation, like boise st, utah, byu, hawaii, will we ever get over that hump?
Wasn't the late 80's the last time both football and basketball did well as Bob Stull was the football coach and RB John Harvey the star back then and wasn't Tim Hardaway and Mark McCall the star's on the basketball team back then??

Old 01-22-2009, 01:16 PM

507 posts, read 1,654,219 times
Yes eventually, if UTEP spews out the money for more scholarships and better coaches.
What Mike Price and Tony Barbee are getting in salary is very VERY low compared to the other winning programs. That is why every time UTEP had a good season, the coaches left.
Money dictates the final product. U get what u pay.

Old 01-22-2009, 02:10 PM

730 posts, read 1,887,716 times
I didn't go to UTEP but have loved the atmosphere around athletics since moving here. In the few years I have been here, FB has always given glimpses of what could be but never reaches over the hump. I had really high hopes for this year but once again defense let the team and city down. Improving from 120 to 117 in national defense? Is that right? Is that really an improvement? Given this year, almost all teams UTEP lost to in CUSA went bowling (Tulsa, Rice, Houston, Memphis, East Carolina etc.) and I believe they all won except for MU. And yes, UTEP lost to Texas, but almost the whole Big 12 did also. Even U-Buffalo went bowling. So all-in-all it was a tough schedule, but UTEP could have won more if they could stop the other teams. That Tulsa fiasco was ridiculous and the collapses against Houston and E. Carolina also. I am hopign Price finds some defensive remedy next year...that much vaunted new defense couldn't stop Montwood.

Old 01-22-2009, 02:14 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,112,556 times
Wake Forest lost last night so it takes a little bit of the steam out of my next point. Up until last night, The Miners had given the #1 team in the nation their toughest game. Our Miners did better than anyone else in the nation, ACC teams or whatever. Same thing last year. Except for the national championship game, The Miners, our Miners, gave the #1 team in the nation (Memphis) their toughest game. We are getting close. We are not their yet but we are getting close. Remember, last night's loss was on the road. I will be the first to admit that we are not on a level where we are going to win the majority of our games on the road. Also, it is not like Tony Barbee has been here very long. He needs time for his players to develop. His recruits are only sophmores. He is literally still playing with Gillespie's and Sadler's players in the leadership roles. Football is another story. Mike Price has been here long enough that his recruits are seniors. We should be better in football.

Old 01-22-2009, 02:21 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,112,556 times
Caltep makes an excellent point. Fair weather and the average fan might not notice, but we are playing MUCH tougher schedules the last few years. The 2009 football schedule is stacked. Even if we improved quite a bit it might not show up in the record books. This coming football schedule is tough - which is what I want. I am tired of beating teams like Arkansas - Pine Bluff. This year we play Buffulo, Kansas, Texas, NMSU, and then our conference games.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:21 PM

DEFENSE!!! We cannot rely on just outscoring the other team like in the Jordan Palmer era....we score 48 the other team scores 58. We can't outscore because we are being outscored in bunches. CUSA is not even a majority spread offense conference like the BIG-12. We thought we had such a chance against E. Carolina b/c they run more than pass and of course, they run it right up our tailpipe. The win agaisnt LA-Lafayette led UTEP to believe they could stop a running team. UTEP can't defend the pass and if they emphasize pass defense, the other team with a half decent RB, will light us up for 150-200 yards. Hazards of the 3-3-5. I would like us to be like the Utah, Boise St., Hawaii crashers also. It's not like (except for Hawaii) they are in larger metro areas than us.

Old 01-22-2009, 05:24 PM

2,625 posts, read 11,192,771 times
Its sad, all great nfl running backs, have had career nights when they play the miners [marshall faulk sdsu] tomlinson tcu] [deangelo memphis] its worst though, when we make mediocre backs look like walter payton, the defence and coaches need to seriously step up and recruit better players, but like mentioned earlier, were not going to lure good talent in, if we dont win! Im just tired of being frustrated with this program, if Price doesnt turn it around,let him go! As far as basketball goes, im kind of hoping they dont get too good. We all know once they start winning, theyll ship Barbee away! I THINK ITS going to take a while to implement a system thatll get the Miners winning, as soon as they get used to one system, the coach leaves and another 1 comes in and implements a new one! Nobody is as loyal as the Bear was, so i dont see the Miners having a consistent winning program in the near future!

Old 01-22-2009, 05:32 PM

Look what happened to Shanahan in Denver...proves no one is immune from firing if the team is not winning. I think Price has brought excitement to UTEP FB but once it becomes apparent that we are not going to be competitive, that Sun Bowl starts looking more empty every game. I think one more year of this may at minimum start the beginning of the end. Bringing in Kansas, Texas, etc. certainly gets us excited, but if we lose, it's still a loss in the W-L column. Do you think bringing Army here will really create excitement and crowds, a la Texas or TX Tech? I read that is one of the gate attraction teams Stull is condiering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso