Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 10:30 PM

1 posts, read 4,187 times

Advertisements

I lived in the desert (east side) of El Paso for six years when I was a kid. The things that scared me the most were the centipedes, we would always find them in our house behind bookcases and desks. They are a little less than a foot long and poisonous, especially to small children, so I hated them. As long as you keep you house secure with your doors and windows closed or with a strong screen, you don't really have to worry about these in your house. Tarantulas and black widows were also around the house. I didn't mind the tarantulas because they were easy to see, and were calm if you kept your distance. We never had much of a problem with black widows inside our house, to be honest. Just keep all of your shoes inside and make sure you hit them on the ground to see if spiders fall out. We also had several outdoor cats that would kill any snakes that were around the house, they really kept the snakes away so if you can, I'd recommend getting a tough cat.
As long as you keep your place tidy I wouldn't see a problem with letting your kids play on the floor. The whole six years I lived in El Paso, I probably stepped on more cactuses than anything else. I have never been bitten by a spider, or a centipede, or a snake. Learn what to listen and look for and just be aware of your environment.
P.S. If your kids are old enough, educate them on the animals around El Paso, and what to do if they come in contact with one. Soon it will be natural to keep your eyes and ears open, and you won't be as worried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 11:03 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,360,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michchix View Post
Are the Brown Recluse really active in EP?
I've never seen one, but they're around. Must be why they're called "recluse."

Quote:
Is a Tarantula dangerous?
Not at all. As a matter of fact, you can pick one up and let it crawl around and you'll likely never get bit. And if you do, it's about like a mosquito bite. Tarantulas look big, hairy and fierce, but they're very mellow and their venom is very mild.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:49 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,690,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Not at all. As a matter of fact, you can pick one up and let it crawl around and you'll likely never get bit. And if you do, it's about like a mosquito bite. Tarantulas look big, hairy and fierce, but they're very mellow and their venom is very mild.
Are you sure about this? They used to sell tons of tarantula's at the pet store, and the girl working there stated a bite from a tarantula is similar to 10 bee stings at once. I've heard that from a few people actually; they are venomous.

Still the biggest problem is scorpions, not tarantulas. I also can't figure out how some of these rattlesnakes get over these stone walls?

Old 04-10-2010, 01:02 AM

2,104 posts, read 1,436,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbliss View Post
Thats what the Dr. said too.
Well I have always took my shoes off before in go inside, I no longer do that.
The dr. said most likey one got in there in the middle of the night then I put my foot in the next day.
This is how my ex got stung on her foot by a scorpion. We used to kick our shoes off in the entryway and one night she was coming home in the dark after working late and ouch! Neither of us were native El Pasoans so we panicked a bit but were relieved when we got her to the hospital and they said that it was like a bad bee sting and sent us home. Her lower leg and foot throbbed all night but began getting better by morning,

Old 04-18-2010, 06:52 PM

10 posts, read 45,056 times
Hi, my name is Nina. My husband and I are moving to El Paso, Tx by the end of the year due to the Army. I have the hugest fear as I'm sure everyone does of snakes. We currently live in Washington state so we don't really have to worry about such things here, I mean the occasional garter snake but nothing real harmful. But, I know that moving to Texas means that we are moving somewhere where poisinous snakes are native there. Since we are being stationed in Ft. Bliss, we will be living pretty close to there in the city area, do I have anything to worry about? Seriously, I am so freaked by this move because of the snakes there that I am really reconsidering moving down there at all with my husband. I know this sounds crazy and dramatic but, really my fear is a bit dibilitating at the moment. Please help! Thank you =)

Also, I have been seeing on many of these posts about spraying your house and yard, what does that mean exactly? Does that help prevent these creatures from coming near the house or hopefully inside? I say again, please help!

Old 04-18-2010, 07:27 PM

507 posts, read 1,652,684 times
For the 18 years i have lived in El Paso, I have run into 2 rattlesnakes, one of which was already dead, and 3 garter snakes.
I honestly dont think it's a real big problem.
Worry about scorpions and cockroaches in your house more than that. Spraying your house and yard is mainly for insects and rodents.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:48 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,929,401 times
I'm also a transplant here and would say wouldn't worry too much. Unless you live on the edge of development you are unlikely to see a snake. Centipedes, scorpions, and tarantulas are more common but rarely seen. You may get scorpions inside & centipedes & tarantulas outside or in the garage if the door has a bad seal. Spray baseboards inside & the outside perimeter (esp around doors) with Ortho Home Defense® MAX® Perimeter and Indoor Insect Killer Ready-to-Use, 1 Gal. - 0195210 at The Home Depot or similar. We haven't seen scorpions in years but our next door neighbor gets the occasional one as he doesn't spray - on account of his pets. I've only seen a couple of tarantulas - crossing the street at night or hiding in crevices during the day. Wear gloves when you garden and don't roll around in the gravel. We had a centipede in the garage that was hard to kill as it was like trying to hit a thick rope - we got it with spray.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:56 PM

10 posts, read 45,056 times
Thank you guys so much for answering my questions. How often should we spray the inside/outside of the house? What do you mean edge of a development? I know scorpians are dangeours, how would we remove one if we had one in our house? Also, we have a dog and I'm worried for her too, like if she went out into the yard or something and encountered something not good. I don't know if all this premature worrying is necessary but, I really am freaked out about this move and I really don't want to encounter anything like a snake or scorpian for the time I am in El Paso.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:15 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,929,401 times
I'd do it 2-3 times/year.
A spray won't have immediate effects on scorpion - so whack it (repeatedly) or cover with a glass & slip paper/cardboard underneath.
Dogs seem to figure scorpions out pretty quickly and I haven't heard of any bad incidents.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:20 AM

507 posts, read 1,652,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkunzler29 View Post
Thank you guys so much for answering my questions. How often should we spray the inside/outside of the house? What do you mean edge of a development? I know scorpians are dangeours, how would we remove one if we had one in our house? Also, we have a dog and I'm worried for her too, like if she went out into the yard or something and encountered something not good. I don't know if all this premature worrying is necessary but, I really am freaked out about this move and I really don't want to encounter anything like a snake or scorpian for the time I am in El Paso.
I sprayed my house at the beginning of spring and before it started to become cold, or when i first saw a cockroach-which ever came first. Scorpions aren't the big black things you see on the discovery channel here, they are usually 2 inches long and stay usually on the ceiling. I just got a long stick and crushed the sucker when I saw one or left it alone.
And the edge of a development is basically the back of your house is the open desert. If you are staying in the brand spankin new ft. Bliss housing in Biggs Field I would somewhat worry about pests, but if you are in existing housing or a neighborhood that has been there for 4 or 5 years there really isnt anything to be worried about.
If you do encounter a rattlesnake or something, animal control would take care of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso