Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 10:27 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,521,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistabinks View Post
How long ago is "not long ago?" El Paso seems to be expanding outward. I know there is a lot of development inside the city but most seems to be outward. I know there are a few examples but I can't think of a lot of the stuff you mention being cemented over. I can think of a lot of empty desert lots being developed but that is a good thing.
By rural, I don't mean empty desert lots. I meant the green places, the farmland and orchards, the ranchettes that used to be, the wild bosques that used to grow. Mostly it's gone now. El Paso will be great for those who like the older neighborhoods of the central areas, and those who love the subdivisions with houses placed very close together and apartment buildings that sprawl all the way out to the desert. Houses packed next to houses and concrete as far as the eyes can see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 10:51 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,118,457 times
I am not challenging you, I am asking you, where were all these farmlands, orchards, and ranchettes you keep talking about? Again, how long is "not long ago"? Again, not challenging you, I am actually curious as to where/what you are referring to.

I see nothing wrong with new housing and apartments - especially if they are built on what was plain vacant desert. Yup, a lot of the new housing is crammed together with little yards, but not all of them. There are still a lot of choices here.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:59 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,521,481 times
Quote:
I am not challenging you, I am asking you, where were all these farmlands, orchards, and ranchettes you keep talking about? Again, how long is "not long ago"? Again, not challenging you, I am actually curious as to where/what you are referring to.

I see nothing wrong with new housing and apartments - especially if they are built on what was plain vacant desert. Yup, a lot of the new housing is crammed together with little yards, but not all of them. There are still a lot of choices here.
The valleys mostly, both upper and lower. Not long ago means you still could have seen some 10, 15 years ago, there is still a little remaining farmland but going fast.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:02 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,696,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
People here had better enjoy living like sardines. They're going to pack the people in, no more space in between. Get ready for the problems of overcrowding.
Absolutely! Get ready for more destruction of the natural beauty of the desert! More cheaply built white stucko Home Depot/Leows style ticky-tack houses that look exactly alike on top of each other. They actually leveled a beautiful hillside (near Resler) not too long ago with more houses that will take forever to sell.

I really hope Obama puts a halt to any military expansion at Fort Bliss. El Paso is too big now.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:32 PM

270 posts, read 624,518 times
i can see both points of view, one likes the city life and another like the open spaces with some city. I would have to go with the not so crowed city and open spaces. I havent been here that long but already I can see the destert disappearing, almost like an obsession to build anywhere there is a space. Eventually EP will look like the rest of the cities. Skyscapers, mass traffic congestion, masses of people everywhere. Sidewalks, very little grass or trees. I have a place in the Poconos Mountains with forest, deer and bear still come around. That too is being destroyed. I see the forest disappearing and the mountains being leveled for more and more malls. The funny thing is the people from crowded NY and NJ move into the area to escape the very type of landscape they are creating. The even stranger thing is they move into the forest and TRY to build grass yards and cant figure why after a couple yrs, you can go longer have a yard. The dream they had is to have a grass yard because of the concrete jungle they left behind. EP is very unique and not just a desert field. Look closely at what you have here before you, too will want to escape the concrete jungle. Trust me, it is no way to live in a city like NY or Phila. Unless you just love the crowded city life, but always looking for an open to escape to.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:26 AM

272 posts, read 1,060,782 times
Quote:
How long ago is "not long ago?" El Paso seems to be expanding outward. I know there is a lot of development inside the city but most seems to be outward. I know there are a few examples but I can't think of a lot of the stuff you mention being cemented over. I can think of a lot of empty desert lots being developed but that is a good thing.
There is still plenty of land to grow outwards, so I would not consider living like sardines appropriate. Move to New York City and that is living like sardines.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:59 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,629,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc el paso View Post
According to studies by the epwu the Greater El Paso Area which consists of El Paso & Dona Ana Counties will reach 1,052,000 inhabitants in the next two years. According to the article the Greater El Paso population was 927,000 in 2005 and will be adding about 25000 people per year over the next few years. Keep in mind that a lot of the growth will be fueled by the massive Ft Bliss expansion. The article also states that there will be between 2,000 to 2,500 high tech jobs created in part to the Future Combat Systems at Biggs.

http://www.epwu.org/public_info/rfq_ne1006.pdf (broken link)
Well, wow.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:37 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,218,605 times
Default And your gasoline will cost $4.00 per gallon in the future too...

Are you excited about that? I've the same sentiment for both, personally. There is nothing to get excited about a big/crowded city. If you are happy and content with how things are now, a larger city will ruin it for you.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:53 PM

3 posts, read 5,297 times
when i 1st moved to El Paso in 72, i remember Veterans Park in NE was on the edge of town as was Hawkins Blvd (city limits restaurant). now edge of NE el paso is the stateline (almost)

Old 10-09-2010, 10:29 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,940,056 times
Quote:
According to studies by the epwu the Greater El Paso Area which consists of El Paso & Dona Ana Counties will reach 1,052,000 inhabitants in the next two years.
This thread is almost 2 years old (ok, 21 months old) and we are not yet over 1 million. At current rates we may not be at 1 million until 2012-2013 and hit 1,052,000 by 2015. We won't reach those numbers without more growth on the far east side and on the west side up and past Trans-Mountain Rd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso