Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2009, 02:07 AM

3 posts, read 28,210 times

Advertisements

Well, let me tell you.
#1-The natural environment. If you like sand in your eyes, you'll love El Paso. It's so hot and windy, it's like constantly having a blow dryer in your face. The desert around the city is scraggly and scrubby. It's not anything like the picturesque deserts of Arizona where you might actually see a cactus and not just a dry bush. The name "Rio Grande" is a joke. The "river" is barely a slow moving sludge by the time it gets to El Paso. The landscape is so gross that people chose to waste this precious resource to water non-native plants, like palm trees and real grass. Pretty much a God forsaken wasteland.

#2-Education. I transfered to Americas High School from a school in rural Wisconsin. I italicize rural to indicate that my bar was set pretty low. But, wow. These kids at Americas were f-ing morons. Which, I guess, is why UTEP is such a crappy University. It's really more like an adequate community college. EPCC is kind of like an adequate junior high.

#3-Lack of anything good. This is admittedly a broad topic, but appropriately so, for El Paso's suckiness is indeed very broad. I'll just pick anything, say...Art. El Paso Art Museum is tiny, and consists mostly of western landscapes. That's nice, it's not like you're surrounded by a western landscape or anything. Also, the occasional Chicano exhibit.
Music. Not sure if this is still the case, but when I lived in EP, there were maybe three decent bands (Egon, The Royalty, and...) Anyway, the vast majority were either really bad nu metal or emo/emocore/whatever involves alternately growling and whining off key.
Shopping. Not even a freakin' Urban Outfitters. About 30 Wal Mart Super Centers, though.
Nightlife. Pretty much limited to sports bars, or the Axe Body Spray soaked horror show that is Cincinnati Street. Or Juarez if you're in high school or you want to be stabbed or extorted by the police.
What I'm trying to say here is that for a city of 600,000, El Paso is seriously lacking. Madison, WI for example has only 200,000 residents, but has a thriving (and relevant) local music scene, dozens of galleries displaying local work, dozens of cool shops and boutiques (State Street), a world renowned University, a ton of beautiful and well maintained parks and beaches, a real city center, and if not true diversity than at least an interest in cultures other than the predominant one. And this is just little tiny Madison. Some other cities that have smaller populations than El Paso: Boston, Seattle, Denver, and Portland. See what I mean?

#4-Ugliness. Those hideous brown rock/cement retaining walls everywhere, broken glass in every median, strip malls stretching to the horizon in every direction, a decaying and uncared for downtown, and ever multiplying identical cul-de-sacs of sspprrraaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwlll.

And that is why El Paso is such a horrible, horrible, place.

Last edited by falke; 02-01-2009 at 02:49 AM.. Reason: wasn't done.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:50 AM

447 posts, read 1,573,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by falke View Post
Well, let me tell you.
#1-The natural environment. If you like sand in your eyes, you'll love El Paso. It's so hot and windy, it's like constantly having a blow dryer in your face. The desert around the city is scraggly and scrubby. It's not anything like the picturesque deserts of Arizona where you might actually see a cactus and not just a dry bush. The name "Rio Grande" is a joke. The "river" is barely a slow moving sludge by the time it gets to El Paso. The landscape is so gross that people chose to waste this precious resource to water non-native plants, like palm trees and real grass. Pretty much a God forsaken wasteland.

Sorry if the weather is tough tough on you. How about we can get you a bubble to live in so its not too hard on your delicate skin and body?

#2-Education. I transfered to Americas High School from a school in rural Wisconsin. I italicize rural to indicate that my bar was set pretty low. But, wow. These kids at Americas were f-ing morons. Which, I guess, is why UTEP is such a crappy University. It's really more like an adequate community college. EPCC is kind of like an adequate junior high.

Ah, nothing like a little irony...

#3-Lack of anything good. This is admittedly a broad topic, but appropriately so, for El Paso's suckiness is indeed very broad. I'll just pick anything, say...Art. El Paso Art Museum is tiny, and consists mostly of western landscapes. That's nice, it's not like you're surrounded by a western landscape or anything. Also, the occasional Chicano exhibit.
Music. Not sure if this is still the case, but when I lived in EP, there were maybe three decent bands (Egon, The Royalty, and...) Anyway, the vast majority were either really bad nu metal or emo/emocore/whatever involves alternately growling and whining off key.
Shopping. Not even a freakin' Urban Outfitters. About 30 Wal Mart blah blah blah...

You lived here but still have it on your mind? Nothing else to do I take it?

Thank you for taking the time just to create an account and post your opinion. However, since you came off as a troll its hard to take it seriously. Thanks anyway.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:05 AM

A Sonic Drive In just opened in Madison, which reminded me of El Paso, which led to a short period of nostalgia, followed by me remembering why I left. One thing I will say about El Paso, though, is that there are a thousand awesome restaurants-- chain and local. Maybe that has something to do with El Paso ranking in the top 10 of America's fattest cities.

Last edited by falke; 02-01-2009 at 03:11 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 02-01-2009, 09:53 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,949,967 times
You've gotten that off of your chest and it's clear you won't be changing your opinion. Since negative-premise threads seldom lead to useful discussions, I think we'll just commit this one to the archives. Thread closed.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:20 AM

Default Let the peoples voice be heard!

Don't the people of El Paso deserve the right to defend their city? Or are you afraid they can't? Don't censor the masses!

Old 02-01-2009, 01:15 PM

729 posts, read 2,058,547 times
So I see that your first thread got closed. Lol. I have had some closed too. But you did come in here guns ablazing shooting off your mouth. Take it easy man. You can express your feelings but in manner that is less abrasive.

If you want to fight to go to [domain blocked due to spam] El Paso (you can get it off of the EL Paso Times website).

I am a homegrown el pasoan. I can defend her and I can diss her too. Its my right cause I am a native son. But you cannot cross the line. Its a free country but you can be polite about your feelings. Alot of el paso originals dont like transplants to crap on our city.

Cool?

Old 02-01-2009, 01:50 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,949,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by falke View Post
Don't the people of El Paso deserve the right to defend their city? Or are you afraid they can't? Don't censor the masses!
I'm mostly afraid that you won't listen when they do and it will lead to an ugly mud-throwing match. You're new and still learning the ways of this online community. Based on the strident tone of your first post and the fact you opened a new thread to question a moderator action, I have reason to doubt that your response to criticism will stay within the TOS.

Next time you want to question a moderator action, do it by sending the moderator a Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso