Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 02:08 PM

430 posts, read 1,339,504 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 03:33 PM

37 posts, read 69,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc el paso View Post
Sorry buddy, she along Eddie Holguin are the most useless city representatives we have. They do not understand the concept of free market economics. While you and herself might view tax incentives for corporations to relocate high paying jobs to the area, most economics see it as a common sense reality to attract more businesses. Thank god for the mayor and the other 5-6 representatives that can override these two clown's NO votes. I know you're on her payroll but she is not good for this city period!!!
Sorry, but like Ms. Castro's position, you've totally misread my position as well. I am on no one's payroll except the city's which is fleecing my pocket dry thanks to the mayor and his tribe of misguided leeches. Sure they lure businesses to the city with promises of tax abatements and so on, but who has to pay for those breaks? I believe it to be myself and all the rest of the property owners in this city. Why does the city feel the need to go outside its own pool of intelligence and pay huge fees for outsiders to review and analyze our city problems when we have one of the best schools here producing minds that could solve these problems for far less than what the city pays others? You think Cook's been good for this city? Ask those that were victims of his imminent domain take overs how they feel losing their homes. Ask why we're paying some of the highest utility bills in the state. Is Mayor Cook solving those issues? I think not. He's out there strumming his guitar and saying how great El Paso is for him. Not me.
Ms. Castro and Mr. Holguin have it right in their constant "no" votes. Check them out more closely. I did and still do. Again I say I'm not on anyone's "payroll", just on the side that sees what's best for my community.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:56 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,613,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C. View Post
Sorry, but like Ms. Castro's position, you've totally misread my position as well. I am on no one's payroll except the city's which is fleecing my pocket dry thanks to the mayor and his tribe of misguided leeches. Sure they lure businesses to the city with promises of tax abatements and so on, but who has to pay for those breaks? I believe it to be myself and all the rest of the property owners in this city. Why does the city feel the need to go outside its own pool of intelligence and pay huge fees for outsiders to review and analyze our city problems when we have one of the best schools here producing minds that could solve these problems for far less than what the city pays others? You think Cook's been good for this city? Ask those that were victims of his imminent domain take overs how they feel losing their homes. Ask why we're paying some of the highest utility bills in the state. Is Mayor Cook solving those issues? I think not. He's out there strumming his guitar and saying how great El Paso is for him. Not me.
Ms. Castro and Mr. Holguin have it right in their constant "no" votes. Check them out more closely. I did and still do. Again I say I'm not on anyone's "payroll", just on the side that sees what's best for my community.
What are you worried about as like i stated before that bafoon is going to win and we'll still suffer in northeast because of her constant inactions so you ought to be happy ... no?

Old 04-25-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
What are you worried about as like i stated before that bafoon is going to win and we'll still suffer in northeast because of her constant inactions so you ought to be happy ... no?
I bet, like me, you're one of those that sits on the porch griping about things without really doing anything about it. If you think Ms. Castro is doing so badly, take action and support one of her challengers instead of showing me nothing more than voter apathy on your part. It's so easy to put something in an online forum, it's a whole different thing to actually get up and do something, right?
Now as far as suffering, why do you think Ms. Castro is the fault? Did she erect a huge gazebo type of a pavilion like a previous NE rep that has barely offered anything of value to the NE other than as a glorified place to have a cook-out? Check out all the "little" things she has accomplished and you'll see that her interests are for the NE. Improvements take time and since she's been in office, I've seen several things changing.
My real reason for defending her is that she's one of the few people that offers an honest approach to the business of guiding this city. If she says she'll check into something, she does so, not brushing it aside. Perhaps I'm one of the few that she's done this for, but unlike other reps, I can contact her and get a timely reply.
So, like I stated earlier, get off your duff and vote against her if you're unhappy. Every vote does count you know.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C. View Post
I ''bet'', like me, you're one of those that sits on the porch griping about things without really doing anything about it.
I guess you better keep on ''betting'' as you don't know who i am or what i've done over the years to interact with my community and infact since you are NEW here with your big ''4'' postings i'll school you on a tip........and that is why don't you go back and read my over 8,390 postings since december 2006 that i've been a member on here and see what all i have talked about to promote this city and defend it against the certain out of town posters who put down el paso etc..... and then tell me that you still think i ''sit on the porch and gripe about things without doing anything about it''.

Then again i probably shouldn't ''bet'' that you'll do just what i asked .

Last edited by Six Foot Three; 04-25-2009 at 01:08 PM..

Old 04-25-2009, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
I guess you better keep on ''betting'' as you don't know who i am or what i've done over the years to interact with my community and infact since you are NEW here with your big ''4'' postings i'll school you on a tip........and that is why don't you go back and read my over 8,390 postings since december 2006 that i've been a member on here and see what all i have talked about to promote this city and defend it against the certain out of town posters who put down el paso etc..... and then tell me that you still think i ''sit on the porch and gripe about things without doing anything about it''.

Then again i probably shouldn't ''bet'' that you'll do just what i asked .
Touchy aren't we? Hmm.....I must have struck a nerve there. Sorry about that, really.
I'm basing my "bet" on the manner in which you posted on this thread. Whether I'm a newbie or not matters little to both of us. I'm not touting myself over anyone in this forum.
I appreciate that you do indeed defend the city on this forum, but are you out in the public doing so as well? Are you casting your vote to try and make a difference or simply venting through postings here? That was my question in my prior posting. I was not trying to flame you or anything else. I simply based my remarks on the posts you had on this particular thread.
Now, back to the subject at hand, Ms. Castro.
As inferred by USMC that I was on her payroll, I'd already stated otherwise. As to the credentials or accomplishments of Ms. Castro, I listed several. Being slightly disabled and not privy to outside involvement, I do follow a lot of the city council meetings on cable. Mostly boring as hell, but sometimes it does indeed get lively. On many issues that Ms. Castro has voted "no" on, I heartily agree with. There have been some that I question, but upon investigation I find the basis to the negative vote.
This city, like the rest of the country is facing hard financial woes and I truly cannot see giving too many perks to new investing adventures the way to go, knowing that in the coming years, my taxes on my property will be paying for them. It's funny(not hah-hah funny) that 15 years ago I was paying 1/10th the property taxes I pay today and am still in the same house. My utilities are right up there in increased comparison as well. Do I see the current mayor and his majority members resolving these woes? If so, they got by my radar. Do I see Ms. Castro opposing possible increases to my woes......radar detects a yes.
Again I apologize if I ruffled your feathers, my intention was not meant to be taken the way you took it. In my continuing postings I hope you and I might agree politely to simply disagree when we don't see things in a like manner, okay?

Last edited by Ken C.; 04-25-2009 at 06:36 PM.. Reason: too much info

Old 04-27-2009, 09:00 AM

Well, I'm doing my part and voting against her.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard View Post
That's good for you. That's what makes it a democracy here as well as in the rest of the country. If the incumbents win, so be it, if they lose, I'll watch the winners and voice my concerns as I currently do now.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:30 AM

Exactly my thought Ken.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard View Post
x2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso