Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 11:12 PM

37 posts, read 69,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smguy101 View Post
I respect your opinion and choice, but we're just stating the obvious. Melinda Castro is horrible. She's a looker, but she should keep her past day job.
I don't choose my candidates based on looks, rather on what they've done. So far I've seen positive things in the NE, timely responses from my representative on inquiries and very little on the negative. Being a looker was never a criteria for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 10:06 AM

272 posts, read 1,059,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C. View Post
Perhaps because she's bored silly by the current antics of the city and it's power hungry council?
Power hungry council?!? What does that mean?!? That she is protecting all the citizens of El Paso from the other council members from taking over our land, property?!? What do you mean when you make statements like that?

Old 04-29-2009, 10:26 AM

430 posts, read 1,333,822 times
Ken....I was talking about Castro. Not about Cook. This had nothing to do with him. I'm not even discussing other districts or other races. Just the one that is in my district.

I've spoken with her and she has attended a few neighborhood meetings. She knew nothing about the issues. When explained to her she just gave a blank stare and said she'd look into it. After the meeting.....she spoke about her shoes. And then at the next meeting, guess who had no update?

And I totally agree that if she is so bored in her meetings then she shouldn't be there. I just don't see how we could do any worse so I'm willing to give someone else a try. Maybe I'll be wrong, maybe I'll be right. Who knows until the time comes.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:25 PM

Northeast city Rep. Melina Castro not eligible for re-election unless she pays debts, city attorney says

By Gustavo Reveles Acosta / El Paso Times
Posted: 04/29/2009 02:56:45 PM MDT

Northeast city Rep. Melina Castro

EL PASO - Northeast city Rep. Melina Castro would not be allowed to be sworn into office if she defeats her five challengers in the May 9 election, City Attorney Charles McNabb said in a written opinion Wednesday.
McNabb said Castro's debt of $40,000 to the city would disqualify her from taking office to a second term, as per the city charter.
McNabb told Mayor John Cook that he would have the duty of preventing Castro from taking office if she wins the most votes.
"If Rep. Castro obtains the required votes for re-election, her debt to the city, if not paid prior to her taking office, will render her ineligible," the memo said. "Under (state law), it will be your responsibility, as presiding officer of the final canvassing authority, to make that determination and not issue a certificate of election to her if she is determined ineligible."
McNabb said that if Castro receives the most votes in the election, the Northeast seat on the City Council would be declared vacant and a new election would be needed.
Castro could not immediately be reached for comment Wednesday afternoon.
Cook said he would limit his comments on the issue, but did say he thought it was better for this information to be made public. "It's only fair to our constituents and taxpayers that we make this decision by the city attorney public," he said. "It's also fair to Ms. Castro so that she knows what she needs to do if she wants to take office."

Old 04-29-2009, 04:37 PM

507 posts, read 1,653,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard View Post
Northeast city Rep. Melina Castro not eligible for re-election unless she pays debts, city attorney says

EL PASO - Northeast city Rep. Melina Castro would not be allowed to be sworn into office if she defeats her five challengers in the May 9 election, City Attorney Charles McNabb said in a written opinion Wednesday.
McNabb said Castro's debt of $40,000 to the city would disqualify her from taking office to a second term, as per the city charter.
McNabb told Mayor John Cook that he would have the duty of preventing Castro from taking office if she wins the most votes.
"If Rep. Castro obtains the required votes for re-election, her debt to the city, if not paid prior to her taking office, will render her ineligible," the memo said. "Under (state law), it will be your responsibility, as presiding officer of the final canvassing authority, to make that determination and not issue a certificate of election to her if she is determined ineligible."
McNabb said that if Castro receives the most votes in the election, the Northeast seat on the City Council would be declared vacant and a new election would be needed.
Cook said he would limit his comments on the issue, but did say he thought it was better for this information to be made public. "It's only fair to our constituents and taxpayers that we make this decision by the city attorney public," he said. "It's also fair to Ms. Castro so that she knows what she needs to do if she wants to take office."
Yep, that irresposibility is exactly what the Northeast needs. $40,000 in debt? No wonder why she's not in favor of raising taxes!

Old 04-29-2009, 05:50 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,503,152 times
Quote:

Thanks so much for this story alucard !!!

So is the $40,000 that she owes are back taxes ???? So it looks like she's a crook??

Old 04-29-2009, 05:52 PM

I think it's from that frivolous lawsuit she filed and lost. But I'm not too sure.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:19 PM

272 posts, read 1,059,525 times
Quote:
I think it's from that frivolous lawsuit she filed and lost. But I'm not too sure.
Yes, it was from the bogus lawsuit she filed. That right there should tell you about this person representing the northeast. Thank God the nightmare is almost over, but we still have little Eddie from the lower valley and must make sure that the guy that is slandering Emma Acosta does not get elected, he smells crook from miles away.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:37 PM

37 posts, read 69,125 times
Quote:

Another misrepresented article by a biased newspaper. Ms. Castro did indeed reply to Acosta in the fact that the suit is in appeals thereby not resolved and making her accountable for the money involved in repayment.
Once again the mud flies during the last days in a manner meant to discredit a viable candidate.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:11 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,930,778 times
Apparently the appeal prevents the city from collecting the judgement but does not dispute that she owes the money.

City opinion: Rep. Castro cannot take office if elected - Newspaper Tree El Paso

Quote:
The question at hand in regards to Castro's eligibility began to surface at the beginning of the official campaign season. Castro's lawyers argue that by filing what is called a "supersedeas bond" the judgment against her is not final until the final appeal has been exhausted.

The city attorney's office contends in today's opinion, as the city's outside counsel suggested in this Feb. 2 NPT story, that while the supersedeas bond bars the city from executing the judgment -- for example, attempting to collect through payroll deduction -- it does not affect the status of the judgment. In other words, Castro owes the city money.

And under the City Charter (section 2.2 (B)), someone who owes money is not eligible to hold elective office.

http://newspapertree.com/system/news...lity_Issue.pdf

Last edited by Gary Siete; 04-29-2009 at 11:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso