Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 08:27 AM

272 posts, read 1,060,338 times

Advertisements

Fourth challenger enters race for Melina Castro's Northeast city rep seat - El Paso Times

That is already 4 challengers for Ms. Precious' Northeast seat!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 09:53 AM

430 posts, read 1,335,228 times
Hopefully they will be adequate enough to knock her out.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:57 AM

270 posts, read 624,170 times
That could happen, the more opponents, the more odds of losing. I still believe that they all will be re-elected with the exception of the Mayor. The odds are very much against him unless he comes up with a surprise and powerful issue. Any favorites for a Mayor? I am just amazed how some candidates dont have a platform yet and no campaigning has started.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:29 PM

37 posts, read 69,181 times
According to some, the referral to Melina Castro as "Miss Precious" is as derogatory as one can be without knowing anything about her. Her efforts to improve her district often go unheralded and yet if you look, you'll see that there are changes occurring in spite of other city officials trying constantly to deter her efforts. In reviewing the candidates that are running against her, I found no one to measure up to the quality of a person Ms. Castro is. Her agenda is not a biased one like others, but combines and often shares the interests of all. All in all, Ms. Precious, as some like to demean her by calling her this, is far and away the best person for continuing the improvements of the often forgotten Northeast area of our city.

Old 04-23-2009, 01:45 PM

507 posts, read 1,654,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C. View Post
According to some, the referral to Melina Castro as "Miss Precious" is as derogatory as one can be without knowing anything about her. Her efforts to improve her district often go unheralded and yet if you look, you'll see that there are changes occurring in spite of other city officials trying constantly to deter her efforts. In reviewing the candidates that are running against her, I found no one to measure up to the quality of a person Ms. Castro is. Her agenda is not a biased one like others, but combines and often shares the interests of all. All in all, Ms. Precious, as some like to demean her by calling her this, is far and away the best person for continuing the improvements of the often forgotten Northeast area of our city.
I respect your opinion and all,
But i honestly havent seen anything that she has done to improve the northeast.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:19 PM

430 posts, read 1,335,228 times
I've met her and spoke with her several times. We have discussed issues with the NE.

She absolutely does NOT have my vote. But to each their own.

Old 04-23-2009, 03:50 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,533,401 times
Quote:
Well then tell us what the hell has she done for the district?? All she has done is vote ''NO'' against anything Mayor Cook and most of the other city councilors have done to improve the city and her own district.

Maybe she'll finally clean up the 'devils triangle'' on lower dyer or maybe she'll fix the constant flooding at dyer and fairbanks in which a former member here at city data.com had to contact KVIA to get her attention. She even voted against a tax incentive for an auto part factory in her own district.

But don't worry as she'll win again because of voter apathy is rampant so NE will continue to fall behind under her. Thank god Mayor Cook is from NE so at least he's looking out for his home district.

Old 04-23-2009, 04:43 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,103,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Well then tell us what the hell has she done for the district?? All she has done is vote ''NO'' against anything Mayor Cook and most of the other city councilors have done to improve the city and her own district.

Maybe she'll finally clean up the 'devils triangle'' on lower dyer or maybe she'll fix the constant flooding at dyer and fairbanks in which a former member here at city data.com had to contact KVIA to get her attention. She even voted against a tax incentive for an auto part factory in her own district.

But don't worry as she'll win again because of voter apathy is rampant so NE will continue to fall behind under her. Thank god Mayor Cook is from NE so at least he's looking out for his home district.
He's not looking out for me. He allowed an oversize metal building to be erected in the back yard of the house right across the street from me and the neighbor immediately opened an auto repair and paint shop in the building. I have taken photos straight to his office, along with a signed petition from the neighborhood and he won't touch it, nor pass it along to the other appropriate authorities.

One of my biggest gripes about living in this city is the non-enforcement of laws/ordinances already on the books. Case in point - all the modifications to the street curbs to allow handicap access - what are they for when homeowners continually park their cars across the sidewalks and therefore block access to the public sidewalks? The police say it's a small claims court situation. I give up...it doesn't matter.

Back to Ms. Castro and voter apathy in the NE - that's the way it is and as much as I love living in the NE, one of the cleanest air parts of the city, and the most beautiful part of the Franklins, I'm afraid nothing will change.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:32 PM

37 posts, read 69,181 times
Ms. Castro has done the following:
Monitoring the protection of Castner Range
Continuing the development of the Northeast Regional Park
Stopping the City Manager's plan to close down in-city dump sites
Protected the taxpayer from non-voter approved debt(cert.of obligation)
Improvement of NE drainages
Saved the Victory Gardens from the City Manager's proposed storage site
Saved the NE Archeology Museum from City Manager
Saved the El Paso Radio Controllers by finding a new site in NE
Installed bus stop in front of the NE Veterans home on Kenworthy
Provided EPPD with needed decibel meters for noise abatement in the NE
Assisted in relocation of Burgess Friends of the Library
Enhanced street lighting in different NE areas
Created safer routes for 13 NE schools
Approved decorative lighting on Fairbanks

There are many more minor improvements that I could list.
As to her constant no votes, each one was in regards projects that were detrimental and taxpayer costs increases that the current mayor and his supporters fail to realize in long term impacts. No one in my recent memory has taken the side of Northeast residents into consideration as much as Ms, Castro has. Her views are long term in nature, but beneficial for not only her constituents in the NE but for the city as a whole. While the mayor and city manager seem to want to spend, spend, spend money we don't have, Ms. Castro seeks to improve the NE with current budget limitations.
Since she has been in office, I have never failed to get a return call or e-mail for my enquiries or messages of support, unlike representatives of the past. To me, this shows a sincere interest in the people she represents.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:06 PM

272 posts, read 1,060,338 times
Quote:
Ms. Castro has done the following:
Monitoring the protection of Castner Range
Continuing the development of the Northeast Regional Park
Stopping the City Manager's plan to close down in-city dump sites
Protected the taxpayer from non-voter approved debt(cert.of obligation)
Improvement of NE drainages
Saved the Victory Gardens from the City Manager's proposed storage site
Saved the NE Archeology Museum from City Manager
Saved the El Paso Radio Controllers by finding a new site in NE
Installed bus stop in front of the NE Veterans home on Kenworthy
Provided EPPD with needed decibel meters for noise abatement in the NE
Assisted in relocation of Burgess Friends of the Library
Enhanced street lighting in different NE areas
Created safer routes for 13 NE schools
Approved decorative lighting on Fairbanks
There are many more minor improvements that I could list.
As to her constant no votes, each one was in regards projects that were detrimental and taxpayer costs increases that the current mayor and his supporters fail to realize in long term impacts. No one in my recent memory has taken the side of Northeast residents into consideration as much as Ms, Castro has. Her views are long term in nature, but beneficial for not only her constituents in the NE but for the city as a whole. While the mayor and city manager seem to want to spend, spend, spend money we don't have, Ms. Castro seeks to improve the NE with current budget limitations.
Since she has been in office, I have never failed to get a return call or e-mail for my enquiries or messages of support, unlike representatives of the past. To me, this shows a sincere interest in the people she represents.
Sorry buddy, she along Eddie Holguin are the most useless city representatives we have. They do not understand the concept of free market economics. While you and herself might view tax incentives for corporations to relocate high paying jobs to the area, most economics see it as a common sense reality to attract more businesses. Thank god for the mayor and the other 5-6 representatives that can override these two clown's NO votes. I know you're on her payroll but she is not good for this city period!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso