Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 09:59 PM

4 posts, read 13,690 times

Advertisements

I am a native Washingtonian, living back in the Seattle area...and cannot wait to leave...this time for good! I lived in Phoenix for a full year, 2 years ago and loved it...kicking myself for ever leaving! I have tried to move back, but even for a dentist the jobs are scarce. I have great job offers in Tucson and El Paso. Can anyone give me a comparison of one or hopefully both cities in relation to Phoenix? How much smaller? Safety? Housing? Direct Flights? Things to do-love hiking,biking,food,culture,outdoor living? Near by attractions? Ease of meeting people? Weather? Nearest body of water for boating? Nearest Winter skiing? These are a few of my ?...overall...Would you recommend it for a early-thirties professional woman? Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 12:13 AM

507 posts, read 2,054,561 times
I can't speak for PHX or TUS, but I can answer some questions as they relate to E.P. I moved back to E.P. about a year ago after having lived on the East Coast for years, and I, quite frankly, regret it. For young-ish professionals, there simply nothing to do here. While the weather is O.K. and there some outdoorsey things to do, E.P. lacks anything close to a metropolitan vibe that you'll find elsewhere. There is also an entrenched complacency among many here that is, well, not going to change anytime soon. As for ease of meeting people, I think you'll be disappointed. The dating/social scene here is bad, bad and more badder. Unless you're part of the Chihuahua elite clique who have escaped Juarez, the country club scene or the military, I think you'll find it hard to meet new/interesting people here. In short, as for Tucson, Phoenix and El Paso, put E.P third on your list.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:39 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,506,065 times
Although i care for El Paso as i was raised there but from what your asking for i'd go to Tucson.....as your less than a 2 hour drive from Phoenix (NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB). Also you have 5 mountain ranges in Tucson to hike where as in El Paso you basically have 1 the Franklins.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:10 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,431,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by br7or13 View Post
I can't speak for PHX or TUS, but I can answer some questions as they relate to E.P. I moved back to E.P. about a year ago after having lived on the East Coast for years, and I, quite frankly, regret it. For young-ish professionals, there simply nothing to do here. While the weather is O.K. and there some outdoorsey things to do, E.P. lacks anything close to a metropolitan vibe that you'll find elsewhere. There is also an entrenched complacency among many here that is, well, not going to change anytime soon. As for ease of meeting people, I think you'll be disappointed. The dating/social scene here is bad, bad and more badder. Unless you're part of the Chihuahua elite clique who have escaped Juarez, the country club scene or the military, I think you'll find it hard to meet new/interesting people here. In short, as for Tucson, Phoenix and El Paso, put E.P third on your list.
Yes, El Paso has much better weather than Phoenix or Tucson, which get really hot and El Paso does not, socially you'd be better off there than El Paso. El Paso is okay for families but not too good for singles unless like the above poster said, you're part of the Juarez elite, then it would be great.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:21 AM

507 posts, read 1,653,317 times
Phoenix. No Brainer. Im sorry but El Paso is stuck 10 years behind both Phoenix and Tucson.
One possible reason to move to El Paso is the fact that El Paso isnt really experiencing the recession as bad as the rest of the country.
But if you cannot find a job in phoenix, go to Tucson. Just scratch El Paso off your list. As much as I love my hometown, It's still stuck in the past.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:11 AM

248 posts, read 624,776 times
have lived in all 3 places. I grew up in Tucson, and moved to Phoenix in 10th grade, and I recently left El Paso. In terms of the 3, Phx #1, Tucson #2, El Pas #3. Tucson is beautiful, beautiful, and small and pretty safe. This could move to #1 depending on what you are looking for. It has lots of business opportunities and things to do - however, in comparison to Phx, it has very little. Phx gets tons of concerts, has tons more business opportunities, more direct flights out to other places (in Tucson, you will have to use more connecting flights), but it is also bigger, more spread out, more commute time, more traffick-y, more crime (although I don't consider it a high crime city). El Paso was also a really pretty place, but little opportunity, little to do, few concerts, etc. El Paso has the lowest crime of the three, it was an extremely safe place to live (and I am recently of New Orleans, which is high crime).

Old 02-10-2009, 11:23 AM

507 posts, read 1,653,317 times
All three cities has its perks
Phoenix has alot more going on because it is a large city. It also has far more and better paying jobs.
Tucson is more of an outdoorsy city. What i hear is that it is very laid back.
El Paso is the safest in terms of violent crimes compared to those cities (even with the violence in Juarez) and still has somewhat of its small town charm in such a big city, and it is way cheaper to live in El Paso than it is in the other two.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:35 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,188,330 times
Default My preference...

If it were me, it would be Tuscon.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:05 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,506,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smguy101 View Post
All three cities has its perks
Phoenix has alot more going on because it is a large city. It also has far more and better paying jobs.
Tucson is more of an outdoorsy city. What i hear is that it is very laid back.
El Paso is the safest in terms of violent crimes compared to those cities (even with the violence in Juarez) and still has somewhat of its small town charm in such a big city, and it is way cheaper to live in El Paso than it is in the other two.
Yeap El Paso was a great retiree city in the 60's and 70's as i remember my Grandpa telling me his mortgage payment for his 3 BR with Garage home off of Kenworthy in Northeast EP in the late 60's was $23 a month and also they could go to Juarez back then (Before the drug wars) for inexpensive goods etc. as that's why he and thousands of other U.S. Army retirees lived here back then.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:55 PM

730 posts, read 1,886,485 times
Never had an extended stay in PHX, but I like what I saw. I understand it gets hotter than EP though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
View detailed profiles of: