Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 09:29 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,120,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You have to keep in mind that to most people very very cold is something like 20 or 30 degrees below zero -- for the highs.
True, but the question was about the weather here in El Paso and it was very, very cold, IMHO. I've lived here most of my life and when the high is 36 with 50+mph winds, that's damned cold. I am acclimated to the desert, so anything below 50 is cold to me - below 35, very, very cold.

Having said all that, you have to keep in mind that the weather can be very different depending on where one lives in the city. My area's altitude and proximity to the east face of the mountains often means higher winds and vast temperature differences with the remainder of the city.

On a lighter note - today was absolutely lovely. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 07:06 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
Quote:
Once in a century or so there might be a tornado sighting. We have incredibly mild weather here.

El Paso has great weather IMO. Low humidity with beautiful clear skies most of the time.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:16 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSP View Post
True, but the question was about the weather here in El Paso and it was very, very cold, IMHO. I've lived here most of my life and when the high is 36 with 50+mph winds, that's damned cold. I am acclimated to the desert, so anything below 50 is cold to me - below 35, very, very cold.

Having said all that, you have to keep in mind that the weather can be very different depending on where one lives in the city. My area's altitude and proximity to the east face of the mountains often means higher winds and vast temperature differences with the remainder of the city.

I won't disagree, I tend to think it's rather chilly when it's only 80 and anything under 70 is darned cold. The only thing when it's someone with "mich" in their alias, I'm not going to tell them that it gets really cold here because they'd think we're wimps.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:18 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
El Paso has great weather IMO. Low humidity with beautiful clear skies most of the time.
We do. Our weather is about the best anywhere. It doesn't get very cold or very hot here. Maybe it's a little better in Hawaii or a couple areas of California, except for the earthquakes and tropical storms they get that we don't.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:44 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
Quote:
We do. Our weather is about the best anywhere. It doesn't get very cold or very hot here. Maybe it's a little better in Hawaii or a couple areas of California, except for the earthquakes and tropical storms they get that we don't.

Yup. EP has some of the best weather in the entire country in my opinion. It resembles San Diego's weather to some degree, but without the threat of earthquakes.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:50 AM

430 posts, read 1,339,932 times
Actually.....we do get earthquakes allbeit very very minor ones. The Franklins have a fault line that runs along Hondo Pass so you never know if we are going to finally have a bigger one.

I've lived in El Paso all of my old life minus a few months in Arlington. (Ugh...the humidity). I've seen it get very hot up to 110 degrees and when the stale wind blows it's like a blow dryer. I've seen it snow and get down into the teens. And not just a little snow. I've seen the winds get so bad that the car windows broke in the parking lot of WBAMC and I almost got hit by someones roof rolling down the street. Now that was a sight to behold. This last windstorm blew part of someone's air conditioner into my backyard. (BTW...if anyone in the Castner Heights area near Shoemaker is missing part of your air conditioner please feel free to let me know.) I have also seen it flood here. Now that being said......those are not the norm. The winters are pretty mild and the summers although hot at times are actually pretty nice.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:05 AM

430 posts, read 1,339,932 times
TEXAS EARTHQUAKES

[SIZE=5]Q:[/SIZE] Are there earthquakes in Texas?

[SIZE=5]A:[/SIZE] Yes <A href="http://www.ig.utexas.edu/research/projects/eq/faq/tx_fig1.htm?PHPSESSID=1e5e7f4eea6b5b7f10bbff03bd7f 2802">(Figure 1). In historical times no earthquake with magnitude larger than about 6 has occurred in Texas. However, seismographs near El Paso record small earthquakes with magnitude of 2 or smaller every few days. Nearly every year earthquakes large enough to be felt by ordinary citizens occur somewhere in Texas.
[SIZE=5]Q:[/SIZE] What is the largest earthquake in Texas in recorded history?
[SIZE=5]A:[/SIZE] The largest earthquake in Texas history had a magnitude of about 6.0 and occurred on 16 August 1931 near the town of Valentine, 220 km southeast of El Paso. It caused severe damage to adobe and brick structures in Valentine, and was felt by Texans as far away as Dallas. Texas' second largest earthquake occurred on 14 April 1995, also in west Texas. It had a magnitude of 5.8, and was felt in Austin.
<A name=toll>[SIZE=5]Q:[/SIZE] What is the highest death toll from a historical Texas earthquake?
[SIZE=5]A:[/SIZE] Only one Texas earthquake ever took a human life, and this wasn't in Texas. On 6 March 1923 an earthquake with magnitude of 4.7 occurred near El Paso and Juarez. Juan Ortiz, a Mexican tenant farmer who lived in Mexico six miles from Juarez, suffocated when his adobe house caved in during the quake.

I was only posting this so you all didn't think I was full of it.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:09 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,120,097 times
Originally Posted by malamute
You have to keep in mind that to most people very very cold is something like 20 or 30 degrees below zero -- for the highs.

Quote:
I won't disagree, I tend to think it's rather chilly when it's only 80 and anything under 70 is darned cold. The only thing when it's someone with "mich" in their alias, I'm not going to tell them that it gets really cold here because they'd think we're wimps.
TOUCHE....

Old 02-12-2009, 06:17 PM

524 posts, read 1,369,903 times
at least the weather is better there in EP than here in Dallas..El Paso..I miss you

Old 02-12-2009, 11:00 PM

51 posts, read 134,816 times
Quote:
Yeah Mal, I would have loved to see you out here in South Dakota last March/April when we got our massive blizzard. Plus in Michigan when we had this massive ice storm that made 100 yr old tree branches snap and fall, that sounded like I was in Iraq or something, CRAZY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso