Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 05:05 PM

272 posts, read 1,059,340 times

Advertisements

UTEP sees record enrollment - El Paso Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 05:54 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,105,317 times
No wonder I could not get the classes I wanted, lol. They were all full.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:04 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,421,379 times
Is record enrollment necessarily a good thing by itself? I still say some minimum entrance standards (i.e. minimum SAT, ACT scores) are needed. How many of those that got in will finish in even 5 years?

Old 02-12-2009, 11:21 AM

730 posts, read 1,885,393 times
If you are around UTEP enough, you will here the "Commuter Train" metaphor. Where many schools are "Express Trains" and students do not exit the train very often and get to the end quicker, UTEP is a "Commuter Train" where students get off and on many times and there are many stops before they reach their destination. To some degree true. In regard to the standard for admission, that is like every other school I have experienced...come August, if enrollment looks low and the budget numbers are not being met, the door to admission cracks open a little more. What is important to every school in the country is the enrollment numbers as they stand at a certain point in the term...that is budget The problem at UTEP and others is of course, if you admit students who are at best marginal, you can look directly at the spring and predict that numbers are going to be low....because those late admits for the most part will not succeed in the first term and end up dropping out. Now, of course it is easy to tweak things to improve your spring count like everthing else. Heck, if the banks can cook their books, it's easy enough for anyone else to create favorable numbers no matter what the business is, even education. If this were not true, then we would have no TAKS cheating controversies and scandals because principals do not want to be stigmatized by underperforming statistics on their watch.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:54 PM

447 posts, read 1,572,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipbalm View Post
Is record enrollment necessarily a good thing by itself? I still say some minimum entrance standards (i.e. minimum SAT, ACT scores) are needed. How many of those that got in will finish in even 5 years?
Probably not. Last I remember the average was 9 or 10 years I believe.

Last edited by fakeguy; 02-12-2009 at 12:54 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 02-12-2009, 12:58 PM

271 posts, read 1,068,881 times
So, would anyone recommend going to UTEP? That is the school that I am looking at VERY seriously for next semester. I will have 28 credits done and going for a degree in Linguistics

Old 02-12-2009, 01:09 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,105,317 times
There is a long winded UTEP thead a few pages back. Like anything else, some loathe it and some love it. To me, it is one of those subjects where you make your experience. I already have a career yet I still take classes. Regardless of UTEP's admission standards, there is nothing wrong with continuing your own education - at your pace.

Old 02-13-2009, 03:48 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,421,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistabinks View Post
There is a long winded UTEP thead a few pages back. Like anything else, some loathe it and some love it. To me, it is one of those subjects where you make your experience. I already have a career yet I still take classes. Regardless of UTEP's admission standards, there is nothing wrong with continuing your own education - at your pace.
Nothing wrong with that at all, unless you are on Govnt grants and milk the system for 10 years. I suggest that we should pay a full ride to students that hold at least a 3.0 GPA in a major that actually matters (i.e. business, engineering, science/medicine) That way if you are serious about school you should not have to worry about tuition but you should be done in no more then 5 years.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:12 AM

40 posts, read 96,506 times
This makes sense to me. Having worked in the Engineering field all over the country people know the name UTEP to be one of the best schools around. Maybe not MIT level but very respectable.

Old 02-19-2009, 02:28 AM

2,258 posts, read 3,477,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipbalm View Post
Nothing wrong with that at all, unless you are on Govnt grants and milk the system for 10 years. I suggest that we should pay a full ride to students that hold at least a 3.0 GPA in a major that actually matters (i.e. business, engineering, science/medicine) That way if you are serious about school you should not have to worry about tuition but you should be done in no more then 5 years.
That is complete and utter nonsense. College is not a trade school (even though many students seem to think so nowadays). That's what places like ITT Tech are for. You're in no position to dictate what majors matter and what don't.

You also seem to forgot that so-called commuter schools have, and always have had, longer retention and graduation rates than traditional schools. I've attended both types of schools, and students at UTEP for the most part are much busier, with full-time jobs and sometimes even families, to be able to finish in as rapid time as those who live on campus and whose parents are footing much of the bill.

You can't apply the same standards uniformly across all institutions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso