Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 11:32 PM

1 posts, read 3,478 times

Advertisements

I have never been to el paso texas before and i want to open up a grocery store there.i want to know if thats a good idea?i hear there is a big hispanic poplulation there thats why im thinking about opening up a store there.i want to know if the stores over there do good busness?im thinking about opening up a mini mart there with a meat market inside
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 01:49 AM

2,619 posts, read 6,117,872 times
Do you a market study as there probably is demand for another meat market. A stand alone grocery store would not do well against the Walmart chain.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:41 AM

270 posts, read 624,452 times
Some college marketing classes will do the study free of charge. Contact the professor, these students have to do market studies for a grade anyway. If you are a veteran, I can refer you to a contact.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:46 AM

507 posts, read 2,056,993 times
I say look into the rural areas around E.P. like Sunland Park, NM, Canutillo, Anthony, or Fabens, Tornillo.

Old 02-19-2009, 02:47 PM

4,246 posts, read 11,994,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayman_ca View Post
I have never been to el paso texas before and i want to open up a grocery store there.i want to know if thats a good idea?i hear there is a big hispanic poplulation there thats why im thinking about opening up a store there.i want to know if the stores over there do good busness?im thinking about opening up a mini mart there with a meat market inside

You wont to open? And what does the big hispanic population have to do with it? Your post seems fishy.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:57 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,939,475 times
There is little supermarket competition in El Paso. When I visited in the '80s I remember Safeway, Furrs, and Skaggs Alpha Beta, but now Walmart and Albertsons dominate El Paso's food outlets. Big 8 fills in some gaps in older strip malls and there's also a small local chain on the east side that I don't remember the name of. The convenience store segment is dominated by gas staion chains & I've seen few independent grocery stores. It's hard to compete on price so the opportunities, as br7or13 said, are in outlying areas where you can offer convenience over driving time. You really have to really know the local market before opening in any city. Are you Hispanic?

Old 02-20-2009, 10:17 AM

730 posts, read 1,889,379 times
Default Remember Blue Sage?

It's not that long ago that Blue Sage went out of business, so yeah, the competition is rough. Even the new Wal Mart Grocery (where Blue Sage was located) in my neck of the woods does not compare well against Albertson's. Sun Harvest has its niche. I always hoped Trader Joe's would find a place here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
There is little supermarket competition in El Paso. When I visited in the '80s I remember Safeway, Furrs, and Skaggs Alpha Beta, but now Walmart and Albertsons dominate El Paso's food outlets. Big 8 fills in some gaps in older strip malls and there's also a small local chain on the east side that I don't remember the name of. The convenience store segment is dominated by gas staion chains & I've seen few independent grocery stores. It's hard to compete on price so the opportunities, as br7or13 said, are in outlying areas where you can offer convenience over driving time. You really have to really know the local market before opening in any city. Are you Hispanic?

Old 02-20-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltep View Post
It's not that long ago that Blue Sage went out of business, so yeah, the competition is rough. Even the new Wal Mart Grocery (where Blue Sage was located) in my neck of the woods does not compare well against Albertson's.
The new Walmart is busier than the Blue Sage it replaced. I thought I'd be shopping there more often but the prices on many items are slightly than higher Walmart on Mesa. I still shop frequently at Albertsons on Redd who draw you in with loss leaders, sales, contests, & a great meat section.
At lunch time Blue Sage used to take Franklin student's ID cards & backpacks and give them back when they left - & block the cosmetics aisle during lunch. Those Franklin kids are a bad lot.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:52 PM

730 posts, read 1,889,379 times
Default Yes

Yeah, we shop at the WalMart on Redd in a pinch or for packaged stuff. We also go to Alb for meat and produce/fruit AND the WalMart on Mesa for other things. The new one is busier, but I think they are also better stocked than Blue Sage was.

I don't know much about Franklin kids, but I know not to drive around there at lunch or after school. I just hope when my kid gets there another high school will siphon some of the population off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
The new Walmart is busier than the Blue Sage it replaced. I thought I'd be shopping there more often but the prices on many items are slightly than higher Walmart on Mesa. I still shop frequently at Albertsons on Redd who draw you in with loss leaders, sales, contests, & a great meat section.
At lunch time Blue Sage used to take Franklin student's ID cards & backpacks and give them back when they left - & block the cosmetics aisle during lunch. Those Franklin kids are a bad lot.

Old 02-21-2009, 10:43 AM

The Big 8 at Mesa/Doniphan has large wall photo (front right) of an old P&N Supermarket. Is that something that used to be in El Paso? The staff I asked in the store didn't have a clue.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 03-19-2012 at 10:38 AM.. Reason: Removed orphaned material
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso