Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2009, 03:49 PM

18 posts, read 75,472 times

Advertisements

I just moved to El Paso (Horizon Area) from Atlanta, and I'm looking for suggestions on outings to keep my 18-month-old entertained.

I'm a bit homesick missing the Children's Museum/Aquarium/Zoo/Olympic Park. We have tried a couple fast food restaurant playgrounds and the Cielo Mall playground, but I'm sure there must be more to do here. If you have any suggestions, please share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 04:17 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,110,693 times
-Insights Museum (great activities for the toddlers)
-Ascarate Park (go feed the ducks, there are still some there!)
-Border Patrol Museum (has a lot of fun stuff for the small kiddos)

Old 02-18-2009, 04:25 PM

430 posts, read 1,334,386 times
Man I pratically lived at the Border Museum for awhile. Especially since my pops works for BP. The kids and I get to hang out at the AirOps.

There is a pretty cool playground off of Doniphan but that is quite a drive from Horizon. My kids LOVE the Indian Cliffs Ranch in Fabens. They love the animals (you can feed the goats) and the playground is cool. There is a maze and you can check out the ducks at the lake also. It's free. The zoo here isnt too bad either.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:57 PM

Also, there are horse/pony rides on Lee Trevino near North Loop.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:16 AM

Thanks for the great ideas. We're off to feed the ducks today . Keep the ideas coming!

Old 02-19-2009, 10:37 AM

Let us know what you think of Ascarate Park. There used to be hundreds (maybe thousands?) of ducks at the park. It was quite a view. They were moved out (to Florida I think) due to the new fountains and renovations at the lake. They couldn't find them all though. So there are still some ducks there.

Be somewhat careful though. The ducks are used to people feeding them. So they will come right up to you looking for food. While most are passive, I have seen a few aggressive ducks.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:38 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,933,223 times
- Insights Museum (hands on)
- El Paso Zoo (just the right size for kids and not too big or too tiring)

Old 03-04-2009, 04:08 PM

We made it to the El Paso Zoo this weekend. Very interesting assortment of animals. My 18 month old, E, loved the bears and the rino birds. The bathrooms were fairly gross, and if you go with a diaper clad child bring a changing mat. The zoo was small enough that E could walk the whole zoo, yet roomy enough we didn't worry about loosing him in the crowd. Next time I would leave the stroller at home. Also, they allow you to bring in food/drinks, so pack your own soda and save the $2.50 from the vending machine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso