Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 07:33 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobKim1 View Post
Hello,

My wife and I plus 9 yrd son are moving to El paso in early April from Cleveland OH and would like to know what parts of town are safe with cheap good housing. Plus my 9 yrd son is Autistic and I would need some info on special schooling for him. I am 35 yrd Puerto rican and my with is 34 yrd Korean.
Would we have any problems due to are race? We are very quiet people who get along with everybody no matter what race they are. Reason for are move is that Cleveland is getting worse by the day. No opportunity here at all for my family. School system doesnt care about my sons well being at all. Also I am a home based business owner in the Sports Memorabilia field and would like to know what kind of Sportscards stores are out there as well. We can afford rent of about $700-900 a month.
My wife chose El Paso after reading up on info about the cost of living.
I prefer Dallas only because I am a die hard Cowboys fan lol. But wife knows best lol. Thank you in advance to who responds. God bless, Rob
All parts of town are relatively safe -- although you may want to avoid the areas with iron bars on everything because that means there's a problem with property crime. Violent crime especially against strangers isn't a problem here, although car jackings are on a big increase, that's only if you have a car they want so you can lower your chances of that crime.

You can rent quite cheaply and still be quite safe. I don't know how much you'll like the schools here.

You won't really find problems due to race. El Paso is okay for all races. If you're Spanish speaking, finding a job will not be a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 08:48 PM

71 posts, read 201,475 times
Default I

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
All parts of town are relatively safe -- although you may want to avoid the areas with iron bars on everything because that means there's a problem with property crime. Violent crime especially against strangers isn't a problem here, although car jackings are on a big increase, that's only if you have a car they want so you can lower your chances of that crime.

You can rent quite cheaply and still be quite safe. I don't know how much you'll like the schools here.

You won't really find problems due to race. El Paso is okay for all races. If you're Spanish speaking, finding a job will not be a problem.
I have to disagree. I have found that in the hispanic culture, my grandparents and aunts and uncles alike they seem to like the bars on the windows and doors. They almost treat it as more decorative than a sign of property crime in my experience anyway....with that being said. I wouldn't necissarily (can't spell) take it as a sign to gauge the crime level in that area. I also have to disagree on the carjackings...maybe you can direct me where I can find the numbers that support the statement "on the rise."

Although I am a spanish speaker my husband isn't and has never had a problem finding a job here...nor does he feel like it inhibits him from sucess in El Paso. I do think though I am blessed to know Spanish and find it being a perk....I will challenge myself to other languages when I have more time on my schedule. I don't understand how people couldn't see it as a perk, a postive thing to know more than one language. English being their first....of course.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:15 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,025,375 times
Good luck not finding homes without bars on the windows. I was told they have them because with swamp coolers you have to have a window cracked open to allow for air flow. Thus people getting bars to keep unwanted people from entering there homes easily.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmeyer View Post
I have to disagree. I have found that in the hispanic culture, my grandparents and aunts and uncles alike they seem to like the bars on the windows and doors. They almost treat it as more decorative than a sign of property crime in my experience anyway....with that being said. I wouldn't necissarily (can't spell) take it as a sign to gauge the crime level in that area. I also have to disagree on the carjackings...maybe you can direct me where I can find the numbers that support the statement "on the rise."

Although I am a spanish speaker my husband isn't and has never had a problem finding a job here...nor does he feel like it inhibits him from sucess in El Paso. I do think though I am blessed to know Spanish and find it being a perk....I will challenge myself to other languages when I have more time on my schedule. I don't understand how people couldn't see it as a perk, a postive thing to know more than one language. English being their first....of course.
It's been in the news a bit lately about the carjackings. El Paso Times and local news channels.

El Paso carjackings rise in early '09 - El Paso Times

I don't believe it's a race thing with the prison bars on windows and doors, I doubt that having a Spanish last name makes someone inclined to see wire grates and bars on their windows more beautiful. Grates and bars over windows mean the same thing here as they do anywhere, they're a security measure.

Grates and iron bars on windows are found in neighborhoods with many break-ins or that had a history of breakins. In areas with fewer break ins, you'll see "hispanics" with clear windows just like you see others with them.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:42 PM

Six of the eight carjackings targeted pickups and sport utility vehicles. Guns were used in six cases; a knife and threats in the others.

From the link. Carjackings are a whole lot worse if you drive a truck or SUV. Drive a car the thieves don't want and you're not at much risk.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
Good luck not finding homes without bars on the windows. I was told they have them because with swamp coolers you have to have a window cracked open to allow for air flow. Thus people getting bars to keep unwanted people from entering there homes easily.
Yes, unfortunately property crime is big here -- but the good thing is that violent crime against strangers is not.

Old 03-28-2009, 03:51 AM

479 posts, read 1,294,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
well, its not hard to find homes with out bars on the windows. There are tons that dont' have bars in the windows.

Old 03-28-2009, 03:56 AM

479 posts, read 1,294,336 times
I hope minivans are safe! sheesh thats crazy.......

Old 03-28-2009, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsrobinson73 View Post
well, its not hard to find homes with out bars on the windows. There are tons that dont' have bars in the windows.
Yes, you can find homes without them, there are neighborhoods where you don't seem many. I don't know if there's a place to find crime statistics by neighborhood.

El Paso is most likely safer than most cities in Ohio even for property crime.

Old 03-28-2009, 06:07 PM

524 posts, read 1,369,903 times
and most of you newcomers do not know jack about El Paso like I do..because my family has been there for 6 generations...but I live here in Irving now..at least for the moment..there is more to do here in Dallas than EP ..but much more crime!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso