U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-18-2009, 09:33 PM

2 posts, read 3,202 times

Advertisements

I've been hanging out on this forum reading up on El Paso and Horizon City. My husband and I currently live in Beaumont, Texas, and may be relocating to the El Paso area. We are native Texans and have lived all over the State..My husband grew up in the San Antonio/Austin/ Llano area and I grew up in the Lamesa/Lubbock area. We lived in Dallas, Lufkin, and are currently in the Beaumont/Orange/Port Arthur area. We've lived here for 20+ years, loved the Cajun culture, being on the coast, and living on the bayou.

Sadly, Hurricanes Rita and Ike have made us decide that it is time to move back to a more arid part of Texas or New Mexico. Rita was bad, but Ike almost destroyed our home and our neighborhood. I don't want to put my handicapped son through coming back to find his home in a flooded mess, his room ruined, his TV ruined, etc. This time was really rough on all of us, but especially him...

My husband has applied for a job in the El Paso area. I love the way you all talk about your city and impressed with many that have written to defend El Paso when someone "disses" your city. I like that. And I like that fact that many feel that the cultures represented there are a plus rather than a minus.

So, I'm ready to try a new area of Texas, but am wondering if anyone can fill me in on opportunities for our 32 year old Down Syndrome son to have some social life and activities with others like him. Sometimes it seems that after high school, opportunities to gather and have fun are limited for special needs adults.

If anyone can give me information about this, I would really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 09:49 PM

4,336 posts, read 7,169,779 times
Default Call this center...

FRGA, check out this web site: Mental Health and Mental Retardation Solutions in Texas | El Paso MHMR | Home

I knew someone who worked there and only heard good things.

Good luck.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:31 PM

2 posts, read 3,202 times
Thanks for the link to the MHMR site and the encouragement.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:21 PM

1 posts, read 655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frga View Post
I've been hanging out on this forum reading up on El Paso and Horizon City. My husband and I currently live in Beaumont, Texas, and may be relocating to the El Paso area. We are native Texans and have lived all over the State..My husband grew up in the San Antonio/Austin/ Llano area and I grew up in the Lamesa/Lubbock area. We lived in Dallas, Lufkin, and are currently in the Beaumont/Orange/Port Arthur area. We've lived here for 20+ years, loved the Cajun culture, being on the coast, and living on the bayou.

Sadly, Hurricanes Rita and Ike have made us decide that it is time to move back to a more arid part of Texas or New Mexico. Rita was bad, but Ike almost destroyed our home and our neighborhood. I don't want to put my handicapped son through coming back to find his home in a flooded mess, his room ruined, his TV ruined, etc. This time was really rough on all of us, but especially him...

My husband has applied for a job in the El Paso area. I love the way you all talk about your city and impressed with many that have written to defend El Paso when someone "disses" your city. I like that. And I like that fact that many feel that the cultures represented there are a plus rather than a minus.

So, I'm ready to try a new area of Texas, but am wondering if anyone can fill me in on opportunities for our 32 year old Down Syndrome son to have some social life and activities with others like him. Sometimes it seems that after high school, opportunities to gather and have fun are limited for special needs adults.

If anyone can give me information about this, I would really appreciate it.
FRGA: I worked with individuals with developmental dissabilities in el Paso for about 6 years. There are many HCS (Home and Community Based Services) Agencies here in El Paso. I dont know what programs your son is elegible to but you can easely find out at El Paso MHMR located @ 8730 Boeing Drive, El Paso - (915) 772-4446. You can contact one of the agencies that's stationed in Austin but hasa branch here in El Paso called Draco Services, Inc @ 4020 Manchaca Road, Austin, TX 78704
PHONE: (512) 891-8285 FAX: (512) 440-8800 E-mail: [EMAIL="info@dracosi.com"]info@dracosi.com[/EMAIL] They are a small agency here in El Paso but I would recommend it. Contact them and they can give you more information. El Paso is a great place to be for parents with family members with developmental dissabilities. By the way, these services are directed at adults 18 and older. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso