Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 03:41 PM

729 posts, read 2,061,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Well -- there is more to life than money. And the bills are usually what we make them. I would think it's foolish to be miserable somewhere else and use money as the excuse to live miserably somewhere else. I know I could get more money living somewhere such as some big city but I'd hate it so I don't do it. People would prefer to live in a rat race and be unhappy just because they crave money -- but that money is sometimes not all that great when you consider a higher cost of living, more traffic.

I left here once, didn't like the weather there and so I came back. Here we have nothing for heating bills compared with almost everywhere else, and like I've mentioned, air conditioning here is simply a luxury unlike in some places where you'd be very uncomfortable without it.

If you live simply here, you can have a land line phone plus internet for about $60 a month, electric bills about $60 to $80 for an over 2000 sq foot house and that's without scrimping on lights and tv's on. You only have to heat a house a little at night but you wouldn't freeze to death if you didn't.

Mortgage and rent depend on what you want to have, how much status symbol you need because there are places here that go cheaper than you can normally find in many places. Auto insurance is on the high side as are property taxes -- but otherwise what else other than food which you need everywhere would be all that different?

I can see if someone doesn't like it here for various reasons like no lakes, no tree lined streets, no ocean or that kind of thing but if this is paradise and the only thing stopping someone from being here is money -- I think they love money too much. No sense throwing a whole life away being unhappy.

I never said that money is life and life is money. I am just saying I prefer to make enough money to live comfortably, do nice things for my family, give at church, help extended family/friends as needed, and put some money away.

maybe you have us expats all wrong. We love and miss El Paso cause of its culture, food, and some of its people. No where in my travels have I met friends of my family and have had the red carpet rolled out and their homes opened up to me....no where else but El Paso.

Us expats would come back in a heartbeat if the oportunity was there. One day I will come back home and enjoy my old home town...now is not the right time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 03:41 PM

430 posts, read 1,335,816 times
But I think the mountains are beautiful.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:05 PM

51 posts, read 134,366 times
Yeah I will miss the green somewhat, but I think the biggest thing will be the MASSIVE backyard we have now compared to what we will have there. Plus I have an island in my kitchen here, that I didn't realize just how much I use it until I've thought of how I won't have one at the new house. My friends as well, but hopefully I'll make some great new ones.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:56 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,695,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsrobinson73 View Post
yea im very excited to be moving there soon. Im really going to do my best to get "into" the life there ~ but I AM gonna miss my GREEN and tree's!!!! To me it sounds like paradise almost exept for that one teeeeny little thing of no tree's rivers and greeeeen hehehe
So what is paradise? Any place where it doesn't snow that often?

Old 02-23-2009, 07:09 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,510,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979 View Post
So what is paradise? Any place where it doesn't snow that often?
Parts of El Paso are about as close as you can get. (And snow has a lot to do with it.) A lot of it isn't.

Well -- for those people who love houses 2 feet together and love concrete, then most of El Paso could be a paradise. It all depends on what someone prefers. My point is why complain about being somewhere or not being somewhere if you don't move to whatever it is you want. For those who believe there's no place like El Paso, then why would they be living somewhere else?

Sometimes it's downright awesome here. A baking hot day with dust devils swirling past and you duck inside some cafe and have a plate of hot red enchiladas with a super cold beer. Or a bright summer morning when you can sit and watch the clouds roll over the mountain, or the view you get from the peak of the Franklin Mountains where you can look out over all sides of town. Or summer evenings when you can feel the cool night sky descend down upon the city.

This past weekend seemed like paradise -- don't you think? You couldn't ask for better weather except for it to be warmer.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:25 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,510,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard View Post
Umm.... during the summer here.....it is pretty damn uncomfortable without A/C. We do have heat related deaths so I don"t consider it a luxury. Granted....I try to use it as little as possible. Ceiling fans sometimes just don't cut it. I know that it's not as hot as Phoenix and we don't have to deal with alot of humidy but I still wouldn't consider A/C a luxury. But I will say that it is good that our winters are pretty mild. I can do without the heater. Just a space heater is needed early in the morning for the kiddos.

Every place has its pros and cons. Just depends on the person.

Anyways, Michchix welcome and I hope you enjoy El Paso.

***I think Kleenex is a luxury though. ***
I think a lot has to do with window placement and how your house is laid out, building materials and so on. People with big windows facing south, southwest, and west probably would feel uncomfortable without air conditioning. Trees around the house or near certain windows can make a lot of difference. Probably the kind of roof makes a big difference.

I once lived in an adobe house with 12 foot walls, that house definitely didn't need an air conditioner. It was great -- the walls would absorb the cool from the night and hold it all day, during the day they would absorb the heat and keep the house warm at night but by the time the house warmed up, you could open the windows and let the warmth out and the cool evening air in. The floors were all clay tile and also kept the house cool.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:26 PM

4,246 posts, read 11,993,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Parts of El Paso are about as close as you can get. (And snow has a lot to do with it.) A lot of it isn't.

Well -- for those people who love houses 2 feet together and love concrete, then most of El Paso could be a paradise. It all depends on what someone prefers. My point is why complain about being somewhere or not being somewhere if you don't move to whatever it is you want. For those who believe there's no place like El Paso, then why would they be living somewhere else?

Sometimes it's downright awesome here. A baking hot day with dust devils swirling past and you duck inside some cafe and have a plate of hot red enchiladas with a super cold beer. Or a bright summer morning when you can sit and watch the clouds roll over the mountain, or the view you get from the peak of the Franklin Mountains where you can look out over all sides of town. Or summer evenings when you can feel the cool night sky descend down upon the city.

This past weekend seemed like paradise -- don't you think? You couldn't ask for better weather except for it to be warmer.

LOL, I hate it aswell but I'm fixin to buy a house and the backyard is just a pool (backyard is small to say the least). And the house is a fixer upper in the West Side. Wife needs a pool. Hopefully a swamp cooler isn't that bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
View detailed profiles of: