Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 07:21 PM

91 posts, read 237,206 times

Advertisements

That is what I am feeling right now. I live in Michigan and am in El Paso right now for business. I have been here since Monday. My employer offered me a job at Fort Bliss today but I have to decide by tomorrow evening. I just got back from looking at some neighborhoods in the 79924 zipcode (very small yards). I do not have time to look around anymore before flying out in the morning.

I've been told today by various associates to be very careful where I live if I accept the job transfer. I'd like to find a neighborhood with newer homes, a decent size yard,a good schools, and no more than a 30 minute commute to Bliss. Can anyone help me here? Due to the time restraints involved here, I can't research all this in time. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 09:47 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,218,605 times
Default Just wait a little more

I'm surprised no one has answered your question yet, there are lots of people with good advice here. Knowing how much you can spend on housing might also help. You already mention school, but private, or public?

It is Friday tomorrow, why not just ask if you could possibly give them a firm answser on Monday morning, that would give you more time to consider the offer, and options as to where to live?

In any case, good luck! Please let us know what you decide. I do not live in El Paso obviously.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:21 PM

756 posts, read 1,995,450 times
The Eastside is nice and not to far.
the other poster is right we need to know how much you going to spend and what kind of schools are you looking for.

That is a big move and you only have to friday to make up your mind........
well good luck.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:59 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,521,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btroop View Post
That is what I am feeling right now. I live in Michigan and am in El Paso right now for business. I have been here since Monday. My employer offered me a job at Fort Bliss today but I have to decide by tomorrow evening. I just got back from looking at some neighborhoods in the 79924 zipcode (very small yards). I do not have time to look around anymore before flying out in the morning.

I've been told today by various associates to be very careful where I live if I accept the job transfer. I'd like to find a neighborhood with newer homes, a decent size yard,a good schools, and no more than a 30 minute commute to Bliss. Can anyone help me here? Due to the time restraints involved here, I can't research all this in time. Thanks!
I don't really know why you'd have to be careful where you live. I'd go to great schools net or check out TAKS scores to get an idea of the schools. Some schools have terrible math and science score in the standardized tests. You can get an idea of parental involvement by checking the parent ratings for a school, some schools have no parent comments which could tell you something. That and the TAKS scores.

Older homes have bigger yards here. One good thing is anywhere in town should be about a 30 minute commute or less to Fort Bliss.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:15 AM

479 posts, read 1,290,377 times
Have you considered Horizon City? its about 18 miles from fort bliss......

Old 02-27-2009, 02:12 AM

40 posts, read 96,758 times
Quote:

Anywhere in EP means you are within 30 minutes from Fort Bliss. Well with Rush hour traffic you might hit a snag if you live way out east or west. I remember about ten years ago I had decent yard on Pebble Hills which is on the east side but within your 30 minute commute. If you choose to take the Job in EP you won't regret it. Especially when you call your friends in Michigan during the winter. You'll be enjoying the mid 60's while they are shoveling a foot of snow. The closer to downtown the older most neighborhoods are but still they aren't what I would consider that rough. El Paso compared to most cities is on the safer side. You will find yourself meeting tons of friends and really enjoying the community feel of El Paso.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:27 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,544,649 times
Quote:

I'm surprised you found yards small in the 79924 as that's where i was raised and know the whole area well (Andress high grad) and i know the homes were mostly built in the 1960's and are fairly large with nice yards.

That being said for what your asking i'd look at the 79934 just north of it along the Patriot freeway and the North Park areas as they are new or newish and have new schools and you can catch the Patriot freeway into Bliss in 30 minutes or less.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:22 AM

507 posts, read 1,655,603 times
Check out the North Hills area. The neighborhood is in 79934 and has fairly newly built houses and is only a 10-15 minute straight shot commute to Ft. Bliss.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:42 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,544,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smguy101 View Post
Check out the North Hills area. The neighborhood is in 79934 and has fairly newly built houses and is only a 10-15 minute straight shot commute to Ft. Bliss.
Thanks for the correction smguy as i said North Park and mean't North Hills .

Old 02-27-2009, 08:43 AM

730 posts, read 1,889,622 times
If you look westside, they are making a new development (more affordable) on the Canutillo/EP border between Helen of Troy and Transmountain. Easy access to Bliss via Transmountain and in fact the access is being extended. Unless we get major cold (freezing) spells, Transmountain is open all the time. It's not 79912...forgot the zip for that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso