U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-06-2009, 05:24 PM

10,591 posts, read 18,041,376 times

Advertisements

After seeing the news today about the thousands of troops entering Juarez, I'm wondering if any effects of this are felt in El Passo... The cities are so close, yet so far away--but it's hard to imagine 7000 troops not having some effect! How intertwined are the two cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 05:30 PM

272 posts, read 721,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
After seeing the news today about the thousands of troops entering Juarez, I'm wondering if any effects of this are felt in El Passo... The cities are so close, yet so far away--but it's hard to imagine 7000 troops not having some effect! How intertwined are the two cities?
Very little effect in El Paso, two different countries. It has so far brought down the violence so far, let's hope it will remain.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:47 PM

47,586 posts, read 35,330,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Almost no effect at all except that thousands of people from over there are moving over. And of course the people from Juarez come over in even higher numbers to shop and party here because they no longer want to party in Juarez. Once in a while people at work will talk about what's going on over there but it doesn't affect anyone here.

Old 03-08-2009, 04:44 PM

465 posts, read 739,559 times
I will find out when I get to my hometown of El Paso this week..and I go to Juarez..I can NOt wait

Old 03-09-2009, 04:30 AM

4,332 posts, read 7,133,716 times
Default Why go to Juarez?

Heck, I don't live in El Paso, but this does affect me here in Houston Malamute...

FOXNews.com - Mexico's Morgues Crowded With Drug-War Dead - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News

Old 03-09-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Yes of course it would bother some but you don't see people in El Paso talking much about it, not in the workplace for sure. They'll talk about the parties they went to, the USA economy, what good deals they found at the mall. It's not like it has really affected anyone here, it doesn't change daily life here except that people don't party over in Juarez now, people stay here to party and drink and more from Juarez are here partying and drinking and shopping.

I know some kids will send around on their cell phones photos of decapitated heads that are probably fake with text saying don't go to Juarez but it's almost like a joke.

I guess it might affect some if they watch the news at all but they really don't cover much of what's going on in Juarez on the news here, lately there is some coverage I notice but probably because it's now on national news.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
A good example is the post right above yours. Someone can't wait to go over to party in Juarez -- as though nothing at all is wrong, doesn't matter how high the death toll is, doesn't matter how many kidnappings, rapes, shoot-outs go on, it's all no big deal. That's the attitude I see a lot, except that most don't actually go there now.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:14 AM

430 posts, read 820,702 times
It was on Anderson Cooper last night. Pretty nasty stuff.
I think it first aired on 03/01. But the part about the kidnappings.......that's insane. Holding already deceased family members for ransom.
Personally, I'd rather not chance it and stay over here and protect myself and my family as much as possible.

Last edited by alucard; 03-10-2009 at 11:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso