U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 03-10-2009, 08:24 PM

34 posts, read 83,730 times
Default What is wrong with El Paso landlords? *Rant*

I went and viewed about 10 homes this past few days. All of them were listed on the MLS as either ready to be moved into or pending.
Every single home I looked at looked absolutely nothing like the picture and didn't fit the description remotely.
Almost every single house had a broken window! No joke, it was amazing! Some were broken inwards, others outwards, some just vanished altogether.
There was one in Horizon City, the neighborhood was amazing! Beautiful houses, kept lawns, clean neighborhood than this house listed for $775 had peeling paint, all of the wood was rotted away and falling apart, windows were busted out and the garage door looked like someone tried to touch up a 4x3 ft section with blue paint on a white door. Their was trash all over the front yard and a sign posted out front saying the house had been condemned, yet when we spoke to the owner he said it was ready to be moved in to.
Almost all the homes were like this, none had been kept up. My realator, who was a very nice lady and extremely helpful, could not believe how poor these homes were and especially for the price they were asking.

Luckly the very last home I found was on craigslist and was rent by owner. His house was priced fairly, actually it was cheaper than it should have been. Decent neighborhood and very well kept home. I walked in and to my surprise the carpet had been shampooed and the smell wasn't old beer and cigarette smoke but cleanliness! Cathedral ceilings and very big bedrooms, unlike newer homes. The house had allot of character.
He was currently in process of fixing some minor cosmetic issues. He was going to pull out the carpet in one room because of a small burn but I told him to leave it since it's a kids room.
All in all I liked the landlord and he seemed very trust worthy, very military friendly and even waived the pet fee. The home was outstanding, I still can't believe I found something that nice for that cheap and even more amazed that I found a landlord who cared for his rental property.

But seriously, wth is wrong with the rest of these slum lords?
Here's the home I rented:

2 Bath Close to Ft. Biss (http://elpaso.en.craigslist.org/apa/1056299344.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-10-2009, 11:15 PM

197 posts, read 315,827 times
Just folks without a clue.

The house you've rented looks awesome. Hope all works out well for you. Congrats on your new diggs.

Unread 03-11-2009, 01:39 AM

479 posts, read 732,275 times
im glad you finally found a house! That is crazy that they were all jacked up! We are buying a house out in Horizon City ~ I hope its not near the one you were talking about!!!!

Unread 03-11-2009, 08:41 AM

701 posts, read 1,036,361 times
Maybe they were stash houses or something similar. In EP, that is entirely possible.

Unread 03-11-2009, 08:44 AM

34 posts, read 83,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsrobinson73 View Post
im glad you finally found a house! That is crazy that they were all jacked up! We are buying a house out in Horizon City ~ I hope its not near the one you were talking about!!!!
The problem seemed to only be in the rental sections.
Homes for sale in Horizon are very nice. Good luck with that

Unread 03-11-2009, 08:56 AM

430 posts, read 723,118 times
Wow.....that house looks just like the one I used to live in a few years back. I'll post you a question privately.

Unread 03-11-2009, 09:12 AM

430 posts, read 723,118 times
My last landlady was pretty bad. I had a two story house and it took her over a year to finally install screens on the upstairs windows. I never did get a knob for the stove. And she never did fix the leak in the upstairs bathroom. Or give me a key to the side door. But oh well. That's all in the past now.

BTW- Jetto, Welcome to the neighborhood!

Unread 03-11-2009, 10:09 AM

3,858 posts, read 3,437,034 times
I'd recommend Benchmark Realty - a property management firm managing about 400 houses in El Paso. We rented from them when we moved here & they are quick to act on any maintenance issues.
Benchmark Realty - El Paso, Texas - Properties for Rent | Commercial & Residential Properties | Home's for Rent (http://www.benchmarkrealty-elpaso.com/BMLISTINGS/Rentals.asp - broken link)

Unread 03-11-2009, 10:11 AM

729 posts, read 1,119,677 times
I know a few landlords in EL Paso. They buy crappy houses and rent them dirt cheap. No upkeep, no maintenance, you rent as-is. You complain and they will find someway to evict you. They think they are above the renter and they treat you as an employee not a renter....kinda like you owe them more than the rent.

Sadly one of those landlords is slowly taking over my old neighborhood. Please beware if you rent in Central El Paso...a neighborhood called Zia Village (near the chicos on montana and chelsea).

Unread 03-11-2009, 06:11 PM

4,014 posts, read 6,048,025 times
Default Like a resume...

MLS homes are like resumes, some people embellish, some just flat out lie!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso