U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 12:51 PM

2,605 posts, read 7,813,969 times

Advertisements

New and Updated

Fort Bliss soldier charged with murder, assault
Fort Bliss soldier charged with murder, assault - El Paso Times

[mod note: Old title was "whats up w these new ft bliss soldiers?"]

is it me, or have alot of them been getting in trouble lately?

Last edited by Bo; 03-24-2009 at 11:46 PM.. Reason: Updated title and added note, based on discussion below.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 01:00 PM

4,336 posts, read 7,165,830 times
Default Not exactly...

Levow, you are using a wide brush here; one that casts a bad reputation on soldiers. I know you did not do it intentionally; but just reading the title of your post, and the headlines make it appear as if soldiers are commiting lots of crimes. I'm sure they commit some crime, just as any other citizen, but are the Ft Bliss soldiers on a crime spree?

What I can't figure out from the article is if it was intentional, or an accident. Any more local news about this?

Old 03-24-2009, 01:08 PM

270 posts, read 390,467 times
It can be any number of things. Remember the military is a reflection of what we have in society.Who knows, the days of being horrified to be called in by the first sergeant or commander are gone.The title appears to be intentional, more sensational than just saying a EP resident does something

Old 03-24-2009, 01:58 PM

871 posts, read 1,291,568 times
I think the military has relaxed its recruiting requirements to meet their recruiting goals now that George W. Bush and his minions have made the military less attractive to young people. The Army (and Marines) have been granting lots of waivers to convicted felons and I hear there's gang activity within the military.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:28 PM

No hook, i didnt mean to cast a bad shadow on the military, as a matter of fact, my younger bro in law was getting in some petty trouble, and decided to join the navy, i was quite happy for him. I absolutely think, this would give him some much needed discipline! I used to live the Phoenix apts, and at night, especially on the weekdays. like 10 to 15 young [thug looking] dudes, would hang out in the parking lot, smoking and drinking all night. [and these guys, werent smoking marlboros].IT would upset me so much, because they wouldnt let my kids sleep and they were loud and obnoxious, they would be blasting the radio like at 2 in the morning. I called the cops like 2 or 3 times, and the cops would just tell them to lower their music, i was like what the hell? One day while i was leaving to work, i saw like 6 or 7 of them in their military fatigues, they were soldiers, the same thugs that were partying it up at night, smoking that mary jane, were soldiers, i was in shock!!!My brother in law, whos in the military told me, next time they dont let you sleep, call the mps, and i did, and after that, it stopped! I agree w atrabilius, they definately
have "realxed" their recruiting requirements.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:33 PM

446 posts, read 985,983 times
I for one believe strongly that it has always had it's share of trouble makers (and yes there are gangs in the military). The younger ones stick out in my memory more because they usually just left home and are out on their own with some money so all they do is party. I won't go into details but I know stuff happens. Not saying they are all murders & perverts but they do get into trouble.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:12 PM

check this out
Fort Bliss finally raises drinking age to 21
Fort Bliss Forum - [domain blocked due to spam]
KVIA.com El Paso, Las Cruces - Weather, News, Sports - Bliss decision to ban brigade from 3-Legged Monkey stuns owner

Old 03-24-2009, 08:40 PM

756 posts, read 1,286,037 times
Great read LEVOW, it is sad what the Army will take now days.
You would be shocked if you know what my husband had to put up with these lower ranks. it is like they do not care, like nothing is going to happen to them. I guess nothing does happen to them anymore so what is the use?

Old 03-24-2009, 10:42 PM

47,586 posts, read 35,497,518 times
I think it's reduced standards because they're trying so hard to recruit and because of lack of jobs that people who shouldn't be in the military join for lack of much else.

Also this kind of thing is the downside of becoming a very huge city with the stress of crowded living, heavy traffic, large crowded cities have more crime.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:49 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $84,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

14,588 posts, read 21,358,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Levow, you are using a wide brush here; one that casts a bad reputation on soldiers. I know you did not do it intentionally; but just reading the title of your post, and the headlines make it appear as if soldiers are commiting lots of crimes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVOW View Post
No hook, i didnt mean to cast a bad shadow on the military,
Based on these posts, I updated the title in the OP. I also don't see a need to give the impression that all soldiers are like the one in the news story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso