Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 11:13 AM

4 posts, read 8,630 times

Advertisements

My husband, my 11 year old son and myself will be moving to El Paso next summer. I know this is early but wanted to get all the information I could get. I have lived in El Paso for may be a year back in 98 and then moved to ILL. Both my husband and I were born and raised here. All of his family was raised here as well but made the move to live in El Paso in 95. I am white and he is hispanic. I wanted to get some feed back on nice areas to live. Plus I am looking for private schools to put my son in. Right now in ILL he attends a private Christian school and love what he is learning. Also I have read on a couple of sites that is it hard for non-speaking Spanish students since most of the teachers teach in Spanish. Is there any truth to that? Thanks in advance for your responses!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 11:37 AM

479 posts, read 1,294,445 times
I hope not! My kids dont' speak spanish, and I fully EXPECT they will be taught in english ~ heck even over here in Germany they are being taught in english, so I'd expect that in the USA. I am looking to private schools too ~ but im pretty sure that even if someschools also teach spanish, that they are taught primarily in english. atleast i hope so!

Old 04-01-2009, 11:40 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncadena222 View Post
Also I have read on a couple of sites that is it hard for non-speaking Spanish students since most of the teachers teach in Spanish. Is there any truth to that? Thanks in advance for your responses!!
LOL....they teach in english .

Old 04-01-2009, 12:05 PM

46 posts, read 106,307 times
I believe there are students who only speak Spanish, many come from over the border, requiring Spanish teaching.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:22 PM

479 posts, read 1,294,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb62 View Post
I believe there are students who only speak Spanish, many come from over the border, requiring Spanish teaching.
I would think that would require teaching the students english?

Old 04-01-2009, 12:25 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,957,786 times
Public school Spanish-speaking-only kids are put into ESL classes (English as Second Language) where they are taught English & take regular subjects in English.

West side private schools include:
Harvest Christian Center www.harvestchristiancenter.org
Burnham Wood Charter School/Davinci School for Science and the Arts Burnham Wood Charter School District - District Welcome

Old 04-01-2009, 01:09 PM

507 posts, read 1,659,983 times
When I went to school, there were Mexican students who spoke only Spanish. They were put in ESL classes and were expected to learn in English. If they didnt, the school said tough toenails.
So no, Teachers dont teach in Spanish here.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:13 PM

272 posts, read 1,062,978 times
Quote:
My husband, my 11 year old son and myself will be moving to El Paso next summer. I know this is early but wanted to get all the information I could get. I have lived in El Paso for may be a year back in 98 and then moved to ILL. Both my husband and I were born and raised here. All of his family was raised here as well but made the move to live in El Paso in 95. I am white and he is hispanic. I wanted to get some feed back on nice areas to live. Plus I am looking for private schools to put my son in. Right now in ILL he attends a private Christian school and love what he is learning. Also I have read on a couple of sites that is it hard for non-speaking Spanish students since most of the teachers teach in Spanish. Is there any truth to that? Thanks in advance for your responses!!
Welcome to El Paso! Whoever told you that the schools here teach only Spanish was either pulling your leg or is really Ignorant and does not know what the heck he or she is talking about. Since El Paso is part of Texas and part of the U.S all the schools whether they are public or private teach only in English. There are some ESL classes for Mexican immigrant kids to learn English just like anywhere else. I should know, I was one of those kids. I was born in El Paso but lived my first 13 years in Mexico before moving back to the states. I learned English within 3 years and have perfected it ever since.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:57 PM

4 posts, read 8,630 times
Thanks everyone! It was a website that parents gave reviews on the school and one of the parents wrote a review that her son or daughter was not learning as much as they should have because the teacher spoke mostly Spanish.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:10 PM

71 posts, read 201,498 times
Default welcome....well next year.....

Quote:
Thanks everyone! It was a website that parents gave reviews on the school and one of the parents wrote a review that her son or daughter was not learning as much as they should have because the teacher spoke mostly Spanish.
That is probably a rare exception as I don't really agree with all these quick fix teacher certifications, I can see where there could be one or two of those around. That's a whole other post. It took my mom many years, observations and qualifications to aquire that piece of paper and she is an excellent teacher who loves her job, she didn't just need a job and decided that was what she was gonna do.

Anyhow, back on topic. No they teach in english but there are mono language classes and billingual classes....in a very special case there is a tri lingual case...where they incorporate some sign language and others offer german, chinese, etc....Alicia Chacon k-8th for example and Sunshine Christian school k-2nd both are tri.....

I think there are lots of private schools, what grades are you seeking...11 years old?
Faith Christian Academy, Emmanuel, Calvary, Sunshine, hmmmm did you google it?

We are here for your resource needs....

~Cheers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso