Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 11:40 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,713,816 times

Advertisements

I am enjoying this insightful thread!

I found this online video from KVIA television of a news story on the recent heated EP City Council meeting regarding downtown redevelopment and eminent domain. Featured is Rep. Castro. A) Yes I have to concur as stated, from the video, it is apparent that she is very attractive, and B) She - from her lashing-out immature outbursts - doesn't appear to represent herself very well as a councilor.

Interesting! -

http://www.kvia.com/Global/story.asp?S=6254323
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2007, 12:00 PM

61 posts, read 281,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuco View Post
From what I have read Beto O'Rourke is of 100% Irish ancestry but his family knows Spanish quite well.
Yeah, I think I stand corrected on this point.

-eplifestyle

Old 03-30-2007, 12:14 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,953,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post

I found this online video from KVIA television of a news story on the recent heated EP City Council meeting regarding downtown redevelopment and eminent domain. Featured is Rep. Castro. A) Yes I have to concur as stated, from the video, it is apparent that she is very attractive, and B) She - from her lashing-out immature outbursts - doesn't appear to represent herself very well as a councilor.

Interesting! -

Interresting.. funny I had mentioned something about Downtown once before.. and you said I was wrong, and here you are backing up what I said.. nice.

Old 03-30-2007, 12:18 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,619,551 times
Quote:

Interesting! -

Thanks for posting that video ....Enjoy....Thats what i mean about her attitude...What has she done for NorthEast and EP in general as i have not a clue ...

Who was the last Rep for NorthEast...Mayor Cook. Anyway someone who lives(ed) in NorthEast like Muhnay did is in a far better position to tell us about Castro and Cook before her so i'm curious as to what he knows but if i'm correct the new Regional park at McCombs and I-54 was under Cook. Also the new median landscapping on Dyer st (about time) was under cook. The state freeway project the I-54 extension in northeast happened under cook although again it is a state project but i'm sure he prodded them along to get it going. What we need for NorthEast is a Retired Ft.Bliss type who loves EP and Ft.Bliss and who really cares about the area and not about how much Lipstick or Makeup is on their face etc...

Old 03-30-2007, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry o View Post
Thanks for posting that video ....Enjoy....Thats what i mean about her attitude...What has she done for NorthEast and EP in general as i have not a clue ...

Who was the last Rep for NorthEast...Mayor Cook. Anyway someone who lives(ed) in NorthEast like Muhnay did is in a far better position to tell us about Castro and Cook before her so i'm curious as to what he knows but if i'm correct the new Regional park at McCombs and I-54 was under Cook. Also the new median landscapping on Dyer st (about time) was under cook. The state freeway project the I-54 extension in northeast happened under cook although again it is a state project but i'm sure he prodded them along to get it going. What we need for NorthEast is a Retired Ft.Bliss type who loves EP and Ft.Bliss and who really cares about the area and not about how much Lipstick or Makeup is on their face etc...

HAHA, true.. but she is nice to look at.. Yes COOK got the park and median stuff for N.E.

N.E. has been suffering since she came into play.. I dont think she has a clue yet. maybe after this she can get some other experiance, and try again.. she is still wet behind the ears.

Yeah a retied Officer type.. or SGTMAJ type.. someone who can command respect and demand stuff be done.

More info on DownTown..

http://www.myspace.com/backthedowntownplan

Old 03-30-2007, 12:33 PM

61 posts, read 281,381 times
Since I can't seem to avoid politics on this forum I'll give this a stab.

El Paso has a problem, though I don't think its unique to El Paso.

On one hand, you have politicians who like to be "progressive". They come up with ideas to improve the city. Some of these ideas are good ones with which I agree in theory. Unfortunately, these very same "progressives" seem to have usurped the slogan "By Any Means Necessary". Concerns about rising taxes, property rights, and even basic democracy are paid only lip service if they are addressed at all.

On the other hand, the "dark ages" politicians. Theses politicians are expressing some very valid (though in the case of Castro, terribly inarticulate) concerns. It is important to ask how we are going to pay for the improvements. It is important to ensure that individual rights are not trampled on by the "Greater Good". Unfortunately, their concerns end up sounding like the slogan "Mañana".

Then there's the corruption. Too many backs are being scratched. Too many deal contracts are awarded over lunch. Too many decisions are made in violation of the Texas Open Meetings act.

The results:

A regional toll authority that will generate funds for infrastructure (yay!).
The members will appointed, not elected (boo!).

A plan to renovate downtown (yay!).
That will likely shut down small business and effectively steal people's land (boo!).

More contracts for El Paso businesses (yay!).
If you know the right people (boo!).

In short, it's like most other mid-size cities in the U.S.

-eplifestyle

Old 03-30-2007, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Interresting.. funny I had mentioned something about Downtown once before.. and you said I was wrong, and here you are backing up what I said.. nice.
Care to post the link?

I am confident that I have never on these forums ever even commented whatsoever on Downtown El Paso, or if I did, didn't make any generalizations either pro-or-con to it.

Old 03-30-2007, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Care to post the link?

I am confident that I have never on these forums ever even commented whatsoever on Downtown El Paso, or if I did, didn't make any generalizations either pro-or-con to it.
No.. too much work. and I am in the laid back south now.. so I dont really care.. was just saying that I mentioned something about downtown once and I was told to be wrong.. I maybe wrong ir was not you.. then again it maybe was you.. doesn't matter.. lets keep the focus on the DOWNTOWN and not on us.. K thanks.

Old 03-30-2007, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
No.. too much work. and I am in the laid back south now.. so I dont really care.. was just saying that I mentioned something about downtown once and I was told to be wrong.. I maybe wrong ir was not you.. then again it maybe was you.. doesn't matter.. lets keep the focus on the DOWNTOWN and not on us.. K thanks.
Weren't you the one who originally started talking about "us" instead of Downtown? I was just responding your remark towards me personally.

Old 03-30-2007, 01:02 PM

So when will this Downtown thing start? And when should we see resluts? I went to the Plaza theater and was very impressed.. If they can do the rest of Downtown like that.. that would be awesome! Does anyone recall the Aligators they had in the pool there.. I think there is a statue of them now..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso