Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 12:30 PM

507 posts, read 1,659,269 times

Advertisements

El Paso's Outlet mall needs to have more stores, and make the signs bigger so both ways of traffic can see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 05:22 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Attractions | Southwest | Fort Selden State Monument | New Mexico Magazine Links Directory (http://www.nmmagazine.com/links_directory/listing.php?id=1034 - broken link)

It's by Radium Springs just north of Las Cruces. It's mostly in ruins as it was decommissioned long ago but you can see the outlines where the old walls are partly standing and there is a little museum. Douglas MacArthur spent some of his time there as a boy when his father was stationed there. It was also where the Buffalo Soldiers were stationed.

It's nice because it's close by, it something to do when you want to go for a drive.
Hey, thanks for the link, Mal.....I love old forts and museums. I just got back from Ft Davis/Alpine, TX, and was amazed at the amount of restoration they've done since I had last been there 20-some years ago.

I plan to see Fort Selden...and then I'm going to line up several more to see, mostly in TX. I'll do some research to see what I can find for NM, too!

Old 04-12-2009, 11:43 PM

479 posts, read 1,293,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Hey, thanks for the link, Mal.....I love old forts and museums. I just got back from Ft Davis/Alpine, TX, and was amazed at the amount of restoration they've done since I had last been there 20-some years ago.

I plan to see Fort Selden...and then I'm going to line up several more to see, mostly in TX. I'll do some research to see what I can find for NM, too!
cool! Please share if you find some more cool forts to check out :0)

Old 04-13-2009, 11:10 AM

272 posts, read 1,062,726 times
We need to promote more of our outdoor sports like mountain biking, hiking, rock climbing etc.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:43 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsrobinson73 View Post
There are some other ghost towns fairly close by. Lake Valley is really nice:

Lake Valley Historic Townsite

Old 04-13-2009, 09:20 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
More on Lake Valley:

Lake Valley - New Mexico Ghost Town

Really when you think of it, people shouldn't pass through El Paso or spend only a night or two, there are lots of things to see and do. I'd say they need at least a week. I would think with all the military families coming, there will be out-of-town guests who will come for visits.

I guess they stopped that train that travels across Copper Canyon, that was another good trip if you had a day or two. Travel down to Chihuahua, get on the train all the way to Los Mochis which is on the ocean and then head back. Or there was the short trip where you just went half way into the canyon.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:42 AM

Quote:
More on Lake Valley:

Really when you think of it, people shouldn't pass through El Paso or spend only a night or two, there are lots of things to see and do. I'd say they need at least a week. I would think with all the military families coming, there will be out-of-town guests who will come for visits.

I guess they stopped that train that travels across Copper Canyon, that was another good trip if you had a day or two. Travel down to Chihuahua, get on the train all the way to Los Mochis which is on the ocean and then head back. Or there was the short trip where you just went half way into the canyon.
Mal ~ you are right, there will be family members and friends coming to visit us military families. I already have 5 different families scheduled to come visit and want to go see and do things in and around el paso ~ ~ I love the whole "old fort/ghost town" ideas ~ and thats the kind of stuff they are expecting to see here, so THANKS!

i also plan on taking them to that Living Desert and Gardens state park up by carlsbad ~ that looks cool, and ofcourse the caverns.

El Paso is just a good "central" location for doing lots of stuff!

Old 04-14-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsrobinson73 View Post
I will!! When you have time...and if you're so inclined, do visit Fort Davis and the surrounding area. The scenery is just spectacular...then take a drive down to Big Bend (but not in the summer unless you LIKE blistering heat) from there!

It makes me want to come home to Texas.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:13 AM

Quote:
More on Lake Valley:

That is true, but.......I've become such a wuss with traffic that I tend to take 375 around when I can. EP traffic is a nightmare to me, and it was bad 20 years ago, worse now.

But having said that, I do love the city itself and its unique place/history!

Old 04-14-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I will!! When you have time...and if you're so inclined, do visit Fort Davis and the surrounding area. The scenery is just spectacular...then take a drive down to Big Bend (but not in the summer unless you LIKE blistering heat) from there!

It makes me want to come home to Texas.
thanks cathy i'll have to add that one to the list! Im excited to check out Big Bend ~ but prolly not in the summer hehehe i hear that Christmas is a big time there which i found sooo funny but i guess it makes sense with the heat and all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso