Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 06:27 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to announce that a new manufacturing company ''Autoflug'' that makes ''Life Saving Suspension Seats'' for military vehicles will be relocating to El Paso at Biggs to open a facility do to the base expansion. They will hire most of the new engineers from Utep as graduate students. This was reported by Bob Cook president of the El Paso Economical Developement Corp. He and Congressman Reyes reported that this will be the first of many more companies wishing to relocate here do to the base expansion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2007, 08:30 AM

66 posts, read 113,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry o View Post
Just wanted to announce that a new manufacturing company ''Autoflug'' that makes ''Life Saving Suspension Seats'' for military vehicles will be relocating to El Paso at Biggs to open a facility do to the base expansion. They will hire most of the new engineers from Utep as graduate students. This was reported by Bob Cook president of the El Paso Economical Developement Corp. He and Congressman Reyes reported that this will be the first of many more companies wishing to relocate here do to the base expansion.
Moderator cut: personal attackThe qoute is "We have to start very quickly to get into production," said Szigeti, who will hire about 20 people for engineering, administrative and production jobs. He said some of the engineers the company hires are likely to be graduate students from the University of Texas at El Paso." That does NOT say they will hire most of the new engineers from UTEP. And since you are reporting on El Paso news, why didn't you report the lead in the business section- that El Paso's unemployment rate at 6.7% is the second highest in the state, next to McAllen?

Old 03-30-2007, 08:57 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingsoon View Post
Moderator cut: personal attack And since you are reporting on El Paso news, why didn't you report the lead in the business section- that El Paso's unemployment rate at 6.7% is the second highest in the state, next to McAllen?
...LOL...Duh....why do you think we report on any good economical news for EP with its high unemployment rate. Secondly as bad as 6.7% is its still better than the 18% back in the 1980's as i remember it well back then when i was just out of the military and looking for employment there (remember the Farah factories?). Third get a TRADE as you can work anywhere in this country if you can offer a skill in demand (auto mechanic, Hvac, Electrician etc. ) as i myself have learned on the job and with my certifications.

Old 03-30-2007, 11:46 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,442,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry o View Post
...LOL...Duh....why do you think we report on any good economical news for EP with its high unemployment rate. Secondly as bad as 6.7% is its still better than the 18% back in the 1980's as i remember it well back then when i was just out of the military and looking for employment there (remember the Farah factories?). Third get a TRADE as you can work anywhere in this country if you can offer a skill in demand (auto mechanic, Hvac, Electrician etc. ) as i myself have learned on the job and with my certifications.
You meant well harry O. I think this guy is frustrated like I used to be when I lived in el paso. I have an engineering degree and still had some trouble finding work right out of school (although sept 11 had something to do with that as well), the opportunities just were not there. Recently a head hunter called me for a job in El Paso for 15K less then I make now, and he thought he was doing me a favor ,who's going to go back for that type of low salaries/wages? I think for now I will stay in the Houston area, there is alot of crime, traffic, pollution, etc. but I at least have a good paying job.

Old 03-30-2007, 02:45 PM

421 posts, read 2,156,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipbalm View Post
You meant well harry O. I think this guy is frustrated like I used to be when I lived in el paso. I have an engineering degree and still had some trouble finding work right out of school (although sept 11 had something to do with that as well), the opportunities just were not there. Recently a head hunter called me for a job in El Paso for 15K less then I make now, and he thought he was doing me a favor ,who's going to go back for that type of low salaries/wages? I think for now I will stay in the Houston area, there is alot of crime, traffic, pollution, etc. but I at least have a good paying job.
I've found similar interest in my resume elsewhere and while it's tempting to look at that larger number for the salary, you still have to put it in perspective. I recently turned down an offer to be flown out to Boston for a software devel job that paid significantly more than I make now. After thinking about it I thought how could I afford a house over there like I do here? I've grown accustomed to living in vintage homes for dirt cheap in El Paso. Sure I may make more elsewhere, but live in an apartment/condo for several years while I save for a real house? No thanks. That was the similar argument for my not staying in chicago. Sure I'd be making more, but would I be able to afford the kind of house I'd actually want to live in? Maybe in 10 years.

Now, maybe I'm a special case as my wife makes significantly more in El Paso than she would in Chicago as a family practice physician at an underserved clinic. That and they pay off her school loans. So yeah, we'd be kind of crazy to move. We get to live pretty good for El Paso.. A special case perhaps, but I'm sure we're not alone amongst other professionals in the area. Please don't take this the wrong way. It might sound like I'm flaunting my success here in El Paso, but I really do want to get the word out about this cost of living thing. Now if the housing market doesn't totally go off the hook and El Paso salaries as a whole go up, I for one will be glad to go along for the ride..

Last edited by holmes; 03-30-2007 at 03:04 PM..

Old 03-30-2007, 04:02 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,442,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes View Post
I've found similar interest in my resume elsewhere and while it's tempting to look at that larger number for the salary, you still have to put it in perspective. I recently turned down an offer to be flown out to Boston for a software devel job that paid significantly more than I make now. After thinking about it I thought how could I afford a house over there like I do here? I've grown accustomed to living in vintage homes for dirt cheap in El Paso. Sure I may make more elsewhere, but live in an apartment/condo for several years while I save for a real house? No thanks. That was the similar argument for my not staying in chicago. Sure I'd be making more, but would I be able to afford the kind of house I'd actually want to live in? Maybe in 10 years.

Now, maybe I'm a special case as my wife makes significantly more in El Paso than she would in Chicago as a family practice physician at an underserved clinic. That and they pay off her school loans. So yeah, we'd be kind of crazy to move. We get to live pretty good for El Paso.. A special case perhaps, but I'm sure we're not alone amongst other professionals in the area. Please don't take this the wrong way. It might sound like I'm flaunting my success here in El Paso, but I really do want to get the word out about this cost of living thing. Now if the housing market doesn't totally go off the hook and El Paso salaries as a whole go up, I for one will be glad to go along for the ride..
Of course there are exceptions, but as a whole I think my situation is more common. I estimate 80% of my graduating class moved out of town. As for the housing market well I can tell you that at least the Houston area is comparable to el paso, especially on the surrounding suburbs. The only down side is that you will likely pay HOA dues, and most likely MUD tax.

Old 03-30-2007, 04:26 PM

421 posts, read 2,156,549 times
Yes, I see. I guess it depends on what market you're coming into that makes the difference. Lots of big cities have the high salaries, but as in the case of chicago or boston, there's a reason why they're so high. Not too familiar with houston..

Old 03-30-2007, 05:32 PM

92 posts, read 445,826 times
Holmes I totally agree...I live in the Chicago area now, and I'm almost 30 years old and nowhere near ready to purchase a ridiculously expensive house here. I'm looking forward to moving to EP, if only for the simple fact housing is cheaper. Yes, I know the prop taxes are high but sheesh I'll take that over having BOTH here (expensive houses and high prop taxes).

Old 03-31-2007, 04:21 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,714,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes View Post

This is a great post, holmes, and I think you bring up / make many valid points here!

One of the primary reasons I am so tempted to move into the El Paso market from Albuquerque is the cost of housing...my wife and I just had child #2, and our 1100 square foot older home here in Albuquerque is just starting to feel cramped. To think of what we are paying here, that we could own something in a nice neighborhood in El Paso for 900+ square feet more (plus an extra bathroom)...that is newer...that is a big deal to a young, growing family.

And while I would say the job market / local economy certainly is one of the general downsides currently of El Paso from what I can tell, and thus (as stated many times in this forum) wouldn't be an ideal place for many professionals in specialized fields that could garner respectably higher salaries elsewhere (and maybe have jobs in their field much more readily available), if you do have a profession that is in need in El Paso or that pays moderately comparable...then the cost of housing thing becomes huge.

I know that in my field, while I make a respectable salary here in Albuquerque, I am actually finding comparable jobs in the El Paso and Las Cruces markets that pay at least similarly, and in some cases, a little bit more! And cruching extensive numbers, I realize I actually could take a bit of a pay cut (not a massive one...but a slight one) to come to El Paso because the cost of housing is so much cheaper. The high property taxes but lack of personal income tax fairly balance themselves out.

Now...surely in the case of me (or I would suggest anyone)...one actually has to GET a job that they are going to enjoy and that will pay well in El Paso (or anywhere else) before the move. So if the jobs I am finding are not offered to me for whatever reason - not being local, not being bilingual yet, etc. - then so be it...another person that EP wouldn't be in the cards for due to professional reasons. However, if an offer would be extended that paid me a bit more than I am making here...my dollar would thus go much farther for the reasons you mentioned in EP!

And I guess it is all about priorities and what people look for in quality of life. As you and FBI mentioned...(Boston and Chicago)...certainly salaries are much higher in general overall in both cities than in El Paso - it truly isn't even comparable in general. However, as you both pointed out...most people get to enjoy either living in a smallish, cramped, several-unit apartment or rental in those cities until they can afford a $350,000+ house. One has to make MORE than a significantly higher salary to afford a house in a city like that than a city like EP (or other Texas cities).

Also...to some people...I have found this often especially with younger, single professionals right out of college or grad school, etc., it is most important to garner as high of a salary as possible. Things also important are nightlife, clubs, bars, shopping, retail, art, theater, etc. (being hip, urban, and trendy). And surely places like Boston or Chicago are tremendous for that.

But then...to people in different life situations...young families...outdoor lovers...retirees, etc., they may have far different priorities. I know I could care less if I made $5K-10K more to live in a place like Boston or Chicago where winters last 8-months and are cold, dreary, snowy, and miserable, and summers (which are extremely short) are humid and mosquito-filled. I would rather make 5K, 10K less, as long as I can live still reasonably well, and live somewhere where I can be outdoors almost any day of the year, enjoy bountiful sunshine, and own a nice sized-home for my children to be able to roam.

I think it is just a matter of priorites and perspectives...and El Paso (just like Chicago or Boston or any other city)...are great for some but terrible for others. Just depending on what their goals and desires are.

(Some people rave about the Pacific Northwest...however, I know I could, while always loving to visit that area, never live in a place that is so cloudy and overcast for so much of the year, and where it rarely gets hot. Again, different strokes for different folks!)...

Anyways...great post and one that was very welcomed to see!

Old 03-31-2007, 04:42 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,714,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FB1977 View Post
Holmes I totally agree...I live in the Chicago area now, and I'm almost 30 years old and nowhere near ready to purchase a ridiculously expensive house here. I'm looking forward to moving to EP, if only for the simple fact housing is cheaper. Yes, I know the prop taxes are high but sheesh I'll take that over having BOTH here (expensive houses and high prop taxes).
Hey FB1977 - Another great point. I am from Chicago's neighbor Milwaukee, and as you say, it isn't like property taxes in that area of the midwest are exactly cheap - they are, in Milwaukee anyway, higher than Texas! Plus the houses are insanely more expensive in the nicer areas. And I know Chicago Metro is even far worse in terms of cost of housing!

One nice thing I have found doing some numbers' crunching for El Paso / Texas is that there is no personal income tax...that is a big deal, as PIT can be insane other places...especially the midwest! Thus, at least in my figuring, with the high Texas property taxes, they are actually somewhat negated by the no-personal income tax thing...

You'll be amazed at the amount of house you can buy in the EP region and the newness/niceness for the price. Plus, you won't have to put up with 8-month winters like we do if living in Chicago/Milwaukee.

The key obviously is the job, and that is the area where the midwest - in general - is far superior in many fields than El Paso and can be a big deal. However, if you can land a job that is even somewhat comparable to the wage you'd make in the midwest, your dollar will go extraordinarily farther. Of course that is an "if" and some would say a huge "if"...I am currently in the process of testing that "if"...but IF you can pull it off, you'll love where your dollar will take you housing wise in EP.

(Even here in Albuquerque where the wages - while higher than El Paso's - aren't necessarily the highest in the nation - affordable-but-nice cost of housing is starting to become more in the low-200s...still pretty pricey if you ask me [although cheap for midwest standards]...whereas affordable-but-nice cost of housing in EP is more like $119K+...big difference)...

Thanks for the post! Best of luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso