U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 09:59 PM

479 posts, read 777,212 times
I have been impressed with the number of American flags I've seen while driving through town getting lost hehee. but it always makes me smile to see them. And there has been quite a few
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 09:33 AM

194 posts, read 244,291 times
It's hard to be patriotic when you aren't a citizen and/or don't speak the language of our founding documents. I seriously don't understand why English proficiency isn't required to live and work here. Our freakin' laws are in English! How can you even know what is expected of you as a resident of the US if you can't read the damn laws? Maybe we need to have the Constitution translated into Spanish so that even more people can dance all over it!

Old 05-26-2009, 10:22 AM

932 posts, read 1,550,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth from ELP View Post
I remember when I still lived in ELP there were a bunch of clowns driving around the city honking their horns drapped in Mexican flags when their country just beat ours in a soccer game. I was sooooo embarrassed that day to be brown.

No ELP is not patriotic. Most are still loyal to Mexico.

When I came to Central Texas my eyes were opened to Texas and USA pride for the first time. It was like I was reborn as a citizen of this great country. I am proud to be a US Latino citizen living in the great State of Texas.
The U.S. has OWNED Mexico in soccer lately. I love it when the U.S. beats them again and again and the obnoxious Mexican fans come up with excuses after excuses. I Love It!

Old 05-26-2009, 10:27 AM

1,003 posts, read 1,348,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistabinks View Post
El Pasoans are very quick to volunteer and help each other. El Paso proved that during the massive floods a few years back. While other towns would have had looting and people taking advantage of each other, El Pasoans were volunteering in mass numbers to fill sandbags, donate time, and support each other.
This is funny. I remember making a post about the floods of August 2006 and there were people on this forum who swore it never happened....hmm. I don't know where they were when it happened....

Old 05-26-2009, 11:05 AM

3,858 posts, read 3,729,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzOne View Post
It's hard to be patriotic when you aren't a citizen and/or don't speak the language of our founding documents.
Citizenship status of El Pasoans:

71.3% US Citizen, born in the USA
.4% US Citizen, born in Puerto Rico or US Island Areas
1.4% US Citizen, born abroad to US parents
11.2% US Citizen by naturalization
16.6% Not a US Citizen
100%

www.elpasotexas.gov - City of El Paso

Old 05-26-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
Citizenship status of El Pasoans:

71.3% US Citizen, born in the USA
.4% US Citizen, born in Puerto Rico or US Island Areas
1.4% US Citizen, born abroad to US parents
11.2% US Citizen by naturalization
16.6% Not a US Citizen
100%

www.elpasotexas.gov - City of El Paso
How many people in El Paso lack fluency in English? I am a high school teacher, and I am appalled at the number of seniors in my class who cannot write a complete sentence. I am not even exagerating. Why do you think the average SAT scores in El Paso are FAR below the national average?

Old 05-26-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipbalm View Post
the u.s. Has owned mexico in soccer lately. I love it when the u.s. Beats them again and again and the obnoxious mexican fans come up with excuses after excuses. I love it!
+1

Old 05-26-2009, 02:18 PM

3,858 posts, read 3,729,380 times
Quote:
How many people in El Paso lack fluency in English? I am a high school teacher, and I am appalled at the number of seniors in my class who cannot write a complete sentence.
Man, you sure do post a lot during the day for someone who's supposed to be at work educating our kids.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:50 PM

47,586 posts, read 33,371,244 times
Quote:
How many people in El Paso lack fluency in English? I am a high school teacher, and I am appalled at the number of seniors in my class who cannot write a complete sentence. I am not even exagerating. Why do you think the average SAT scores in El Paso are FAR below the national average?
74% of El Paso's population speaks Spanish in the home and as their primary language. About a third of the population here speaks only Spanish. That's kind of sad if the citizenship rate is really that high.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
Man, you sure do post a lot during the day for someone who's supposed to be at work educating our kids.
LOL, we're taking our semester finals right now, so I basically just have to keep my eye on the kids and stay awake. I know that finals do not officially begin until next week, but I teach SAT courses, and we had to start our final exam this week.

Your point is well taken though. Internet forums are addictive to me, and it wouldn't be the first time I slacked off to post online.

Besides, this is my last semester, and I start law school in a few months. I'm finding it really difficult to stay motivated these last couple weeks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso