Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 10:40 AM

422 posts, read 1,294,664 times

Advertisements

What do you say to somebody when they ask you this question?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 10:46 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,956,563 times
I've found that it's mainly known as The Gateway to Juarez. Tell someone that you are from El Paso and they'll tell you about the time they went drinking in Juarez.

If someone asked the question I'd say Mexican food & hot dry climate.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:34 AM

From what I have learned, most youth's teen years invovled going down to Juarez for a little fun. I think most people would probably say the same thing you did Gary: Mexican food/good weather

However, wouldn't it be nice to tell them that El Paso is known for its emerging technology companies, breakthrough educational programs, and top notch health care research?

I'm just wondering what it will take for El Paso to be known for more than its food and climate.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:37 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,268,391 times
Default Don't be confused...

Don't mistake for what reasons people like El Paso, for what El Paso is renown for. Unfortunately, El Paso is not renowned for anything significant out of El Paso itself. It is too bad too, at one time in her early days, El Paso was a vibrant top notch western city; you can look at the vintage photos of El Paso and see that it was not too different from other major cities at the same time period.

El Paso was bustling, growing, and had influence in the space and defense industries in the 40s and 50s. Then the politics changed, and have stayed the same since the early sixties, going on three generations.

Many are happy with the "laid back" attitude and "weather". So what? Throw a dart anywhere in the world and you would get the same thing. El Paso needs more than "laid back", "weather", and "friendly" to succeed, though those are important dynamics also. But not for Ft. Bliss, I'd hate to see what my hometown would be.

My 2 cents...

Old 07-08-2009, 01:45 PM

154 posts, read 396,299 times
I would usually say that you can't beat the mexican food in El Paso to somebody who asked me this question, but I quickly learned that people for other areas of Texas (Ex: San Antonio, Houston) don't like El Paso mexican food.

Juarez night life would be the next thing that I would mention, but seeing as how the danger level has increased I would never recommend this to anyone. I remember going to Juarez as a child and being scared. I can't imagine what it would be like now.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Don't mistake for what reasons people like El Paso, for what El Paso is renown for. Unfortunately, El Paso is not renowned for anything significant out of El Paso itself. It is too bad too, at one time in her early days, El Paso was a vibrant top notch western city; you can look at the vintage photos of El Paso and see that it was not too different from other major cities at the same time period.

El Paso was bustling, growing, and had influence in the space and defense industries in the 40s and 50s. Then the politics changed, and have stayed the same since the early sixties, going on three generations.

I have heard other people talk about the El Paso of old and how great it was and where it was headed. It would be interesting to go back in time and see what the perception of the city was by citizens and outsiders. El Paso needs to get its mojo back

Old 07-08-2009, 02:56 PM

730 posts, read 1,895,410 times
The El Paso song and Rosie's Cantina. UTEP and to some degree now more than before, the '66 team and Glory Road movie. The founder of Star Trek, Gene Roddenberry. For die hards, Chico's Tacos.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:02 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,956,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA2EP? View Post
I have heard other people talk about the El Paso of old and how great it was and where it was headed. It would be interesting to go back in time and see what the perception of the city was by citizens and outsiders. El Paso needs to get its mojo back
Part of mojo-loss was due to the business and shopping exodus to the suburbs and the decline of downtown as a destination. This happened to cities across North America in the 70's including the hollowing out of Juarez.
I'd also add the loss of local businesses (The Popular, The White House, Texas Commerce...) and their head offices and the rise of national chains that reduce local 'character' & traditions.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:23 PM

730 posts, read 1,895,410 times
But several cities have reclaimed their downtown areas. From what I have read, there is resistance to the downtown re-emergence if it affects the Segundo Barrio. I have not been in EP long enough to know much about Segundo, but when I first moved here I read folks were opposed to downtown redevelopment b/c it would displace all of the stores that Juarez citizens liked to patronize. I may be off base with this, but it seems the latest is that it is an "elitist" affluent small group that folks are resisting. I understand that the on-going argument here is the status quo vs. development.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:30 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,136,259 times
Something that I am glad that is slowly fading away is the vast differences in opinion from different parts of town. Specifically, west side and northeast residents. More and more the city is gelling together and I am happy for that.

You can see differences in opinion from generation to generation and from part of town to part of town.

I am grew up in the Bel Air and Hanks area. Most of my family was in that area. As far as entertainment, Juarez was nothing to me. There was far too much going on for me to bother with Juarez. I don't represent every teenager at that time but that was my experience.

As far as what I think El Paso is known for (nationally):

-The Sun Bowl. Hit up any college football forum. The Sun Bowl gets a lot of kudos.
-The 1966 Championship. The common fan may have learned about it with the movie Glory Road. Athletes world wide knew the story very well for many decades though. Did you know Kareem Abdul-Jabbar wanted to coach at UTEP after The Bear retired? Why? Because of UTEP's basketball history.
-Chicos Tacos. Personal opinions aside, they are very well known.
-Friendliness. After a trip through central Texas, I am very grateful for this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso