U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 07:20 PM

2,441 posts, read 3,162,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
and it may actually be the case that well over 25% of them work and shop and use the schools and hospitals here
Source?

Quote:
but a lot of people want to distance ourselves from Juarez, Mexico and act like it's not actually a big part of El Paso
Who?

Quote:
There are some who act like we shouldn't have Juarez, Mexico tarnish our great reputation even if we really are all one big city.
Who?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 08:01 PM

404 posts, read 378,477 times
Nobody said anything about counting Juarez into El Paso's population or what is the illegal work force count or anything like this. All I said is we have to metros standing side by side using the same streets, polluting the same environment making it that much more crowded and congested, both make it look like one but it really is two cities.
So why throw in such spin when all we are discussing is El Paso's continuous population gains, we couldn't decide or change the rules if the people from Juarez uses our social services infrastructure or not, that is beyond our control.
Now lets please stay on the subject, as for population gain in El Paso county we are almost sure to arrive at the one million mark by the end of this decade, 20 thousand people net gain in one year, that is impressive.
I think that eventually Las Cruces and Dona Ana county will be added the the El Paso MSA stats a whole lot sooner than most think. I mean one needs to go away from El Paso for a couple of decades and come back and see if you can tell the difference, this city is not much of a lay back city anymore.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:56 PM

4,248 posts, read 6,812,934 times
Default Changed in the 90's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Kitty 98 View Post
Nobody said anything about counting Juarez into El Paso's population or what is the illegal work force count or anything like this. All I said is we have to metros standing side by side using the same streets, polluting the same environment making it that much more crowded and congested, both make it look like one but it really is two cities.
So why throw in such spin when all we are discussing is El Paso's continuous population gains, we couldn't decide or change the rules if the people from Juarez uses our social services infrastructure or not, that is beyond our control.
Now lets please stay on the subject, as for population gain in El Paso county we are almost sure to arrive at the one million mark by the end of this decade, 20 thousand people net gain in one year, that is impressive.
I think that eventually Las Cruces and Dona Ana county will be added the the El Paso MSA stats a whole lot sooner than most think. I mean one needs to go away from El Paso for a couple of decades and come back and see if you can tell the difference, this city is not much of a lay back city anymore.
As someone who grew up there and left in my teens, I can say that El Paso changed most starting in the early to mid 90's; I recall what it was like when I was living there and I can say that being a big city has much more cons than pros. If I were living there, I would not want it to grow so big... but you can't change time I guess.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:47 PM

47,586 posts, read 33,766,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
As someone who grew up there and left in my teens, I can say that El Paso changed most starting in the early to mid 90's; I recall what it was like when I was living there and I can say that being a big city has much more cons than pros. If I were living there, I would not want it to grow so big... but you can't change time I guess.
And it's really sad that so many of the historic buildings downtown have burned. I'm sure new and bigger ones will be put in those empty spaces but it's just one more sign that the Old El Paso is gone. You're right, it's been gone since about that mid-90's time.

There was a time when people here would have hated to see so much carving up of the mountain but now it seems that everyone is thrilled to see it happening.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:07 PM

404 posts, read 378,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
To each and all of us El Paso has changed and grown during our life time, I was away all during the 90's up till 2010; Yes I can see the big difference and when people ask me, how does El Paso look to you now since you were away? I say to them, where did all these new people come from, and whats up with all the traffic, it wasn't this way before I left. I agree with you about the growing part, unfortunately it is out of our control,El Paso can only grow out so much, but within it they will always find room to build something.

Last edited by Ms Kitty 98; 07-04-2012 at 12:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso