Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 07:08 PM

2 posts, read 29,733 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am considering purchasing one of the 20 acre parcels from Sunset Ranches, to the north-east of El Paso, I think. Anyhow, I've heard that El Paso is one of the "safest" low crime cities in the U.S., but I've also heard that Juarez is one of the most unsafe cities in Mexico. My question is would the land outside of El Paso be relatively safe? I'm looking at this basically as a winter home for my motorhome. We'll be traveling for probably 8 or 9 months of the year, and spending a couple or 3 months at the land. The rest of the time, it will probably be empty. I would like to build some structures to support my motorhome when I'm there (maybe some storage and a well for water) but I worry that they will be vandalised while I'm gone, and I worry wheather me and my dogs would be safe while we are there.

Also, does anyone know of any other problems with these ranches? I saw a complaint on complaintboards.com claiming them to be a scam, but nearly every comment there was defending the ranches and claiming the complaintent was fraudalent in his claims. I know this is not great land, but for what I want, it's just fine, if it's safe and ther are no other problems.

As side note, if anyone has any photos of the area around the Sunset Ranches, could you please post them. I want to make sure the land pictured on their website is actually what the land looks like.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 06:53 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,622,452 times
I think crime would be the least of your problems out there. Hopefully you are planning to visit the place before purchasing anything.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:19 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,415,062 times
Violent crime especially against strangers is low here, not really property crime however. Lots of vandalism goes on here.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:11 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,105,317 times
Some would be a better word.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:49 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,929,401 times
Violent crime will not be problem. Burglary could be issue for an unattended and isolated motorhome parked in the middle of the desert. Scorpions and snakes would be your other concerns. Their site shows a photo of the Sierra Blanca school so that is really far out.

Sunset Ranches

Old 08-20-2009, 10:33 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,929,401 times
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/jasonpenney/hudspeth_county_land.htm (broken link)

Quote:
About twice a week I get email from people looking at the possibility of buying land in Hudspeth County.....

Rather than continue answering emails on this subject, I will do my best to give you, the potential buyer the real (honest) picture as I see it.....

Hudspeth County is one of the driest places in the state of Texas.... Digging in the ground around Sierra Blanca to plant anything was almost impossible. There was about 1 foot of loose dirt and then you hit hardpan. Hardpan is like natures concrete.....The Water Table here is VERY deep and to drill a well would require even deeper pockets....

..... I was traveling South (of Sierra Blanca) early one morning on FM 1111. I ran into a couple with Florida Tags on their vehicle. They both had the lost look on their faces and had maps in hand. I knew immediately, that they had bought land sight unseen and were out looking for it. I had seen this same scenario many times before. As I pulled up beside them, the female in the passenger seat waved for me to stop. When I did, she asked me if I knew where the ????? Ranch was at. I told her that I did and showed them how to get there. As soon as she saw it, they both began to look even more confused. The man in the car told me, "there must be some mistake, we bought this land off of the internet and this is not even close to how it was described".

...Don't get me wrong, Hudspeth County has many good points. It just takes a certain kind of person to appreciate the area. For me, it is a nice place to visit, but my wife would kill me in my sleep if I ever suggested moving back.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:48 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,415,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
Violent crime will not be problem. Burglary could be issue for an unattended and isolated motorhome parked in the middle of the desert. Scorpions and snakes would be your other concerns. Their site shows a photo of the Sierra Blanca school so that is really far out.

Sunset Ranches
Well from those pictures, the area looks very nice. Not less green than El Paso and a lot less concrete, a lot more open space.

Old 10-31-2009, 06:12 PM

206 posts, read 531,994 times
It's rolling ranchland, some area's are hilly, actually, it's not bad. It doesn't have utilities, but thats why it's so inexspensive.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:05 PM

9 posts, read 80,235 times
Looking at land around Sierra Blanca,could anyone tell me anything about this area 31.16129,-105.05577,long.-latitude,google earth.I lived in Alamogordo(dog Canyon ) for a year ,then moved back to East Texas,now living in colorado.I kinda miss the west texas area and have family and friends living within 90 miles(give or take 20mi.)of that property location.Any information about that area would be greatly appreciated.Looking at add
19.89 Acres of Land About two hours from El Paso

Hudspeth County, Texas / so I mapped it and it looks good to me from google earth. Thanks again,I'm new to the board,Hello Everyone!!! Have a Great Day!

Old 12-05-2009, 02:13 PM

9 posts, read 80,235 times
I have had a change of heart about Sierra Blanca,,,,I saw a website about the toxic pollution being dumped there!!!Looks like N.Y. is crapping on Sierra Blanca..So sad that someone would sell there soul at the risk of hurting others.i think I'll be looking towards Dell City or Timberon,nm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso