Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 09:42 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enmity View Post
Last time I checked, UTEP was pretty much only good for certain engineering degrees. And on your snobs comment. I think that's exactly what UTEP needs. That's right, you don't have to worry about too many snobs in UTEP (in the academic sense), and quite frankly, that's not a good thing. Snobs serve an important purpose for true intellectuals in universities; they're breakfast.
I think you're right about UTEP's engineering degrees -- it's always been respected for that but a university with no admission standards and such a high number of remedial courses, competing with the community college for remedial students cannot get a very high reputation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 03:32 PM

9 posts, read 29,927 times
Well thanks everyone for posting a response. I guess I'll just have to check on the campus when I visit El Paso in a few weeks. I really want to get out of Austin, I just hope me deciding to go to UTEP, which most likely will make me happiest in the moment, won't make me unhappy in the future by affecting my ability to get a job.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutieness220 View Post
Well thanks everyone for posting a response. I guess I'll just have to check on the campus when I visit El Paso in a few weeks. I really want to get out of Austin, I just hope me deciding to go to UTEP, which most likely will make me happiest in the moment, won't make me unhappy in the future by affecting my ability to get a job.
Actually it won't affect the ability to get a job in most cases. Most employers, especially after the first don't really look at where a degree was obtained. Austin also has a reputation for being a party school.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:38 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Actually it won't affect the ability to get a job in most cases. Most employers, especially after the first don't really look at where a degree was obtained. Austin also has a reputation for being a party school.
I wish more people would see your posting. You are right, except for some of the very elite companies, mostly east coast, employers don't care where the degree came from as long as you have it.

Nita

Old 10-06-2009, 05:18 PM

35 posts, read 81,611 times
Have you considered NMSU? It's just a few miles up the road and is a well regarded research university with an enrollment of over 18,000.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:34 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,915,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltep View Post
Heck, we thought UT was the epitome of all TX higher ed and you don't like it. I don't think not knowing Spanish should be an issue.
AMEN TO THAT! Kids contemplating college who live in El Paso have long drooled to attend UT Austin if they have the opportunity.

And it's not simply the educational experience that they drool for. It's the overall experience of living in a much greener environment where there is a much more active community life outside of school hours. I've attended school in both and it's the years spent at UT Austin (and later UTSA) that I most cherish now that I'm long gone from school.

As for the comments about UT Austin being a "party school" - that's absolute nonsense. Any school can be a party school if that is what you choose to do with your school years. It's what YOU make of it that counts!

Old 10-06-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
AMEN TO THAT! Kids contemplating college who live in El Paso have long drooled to attend UT Austin if they have the opportunity.

And it's not simply the educational experience that they drool for. It's the overall experience of living in a much greener environment where there is a much more active community life outside of school hours. I've attended school in both and it's the years spent at UT Austin (and later UTSA) that I most cherish now that I'm long gone from school.

As for the comments about UT Austin being a "party school" - that's absolute nonsense. Any school can be a party school if that is what you choose to do with your school years. It's what YOU make of it that counts!

I didn't say school can't be what you make it to be -- but UT of Austin has a reputation for being a top party school.

Top Party Schools | Ten Best Party School Rankings 2009 | COLLEGE FANTASY COACH

#2 in Playboy's rankings of party schools

Princeton Review List Of Top Party Schools | Air America Media (http://airamerica.com/blog/2009/jul/27/princeton-review - broken link)

#7 in Princeton's rankings.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I wish more people would see your posting. You are right, except for some of the very elite companies, mostly east coast, employers don't care where the degree came from as long as you have it.

Nita
I would guess most of us also don't have any clue where our own physicians and lawyers attended college at least for undergraduate studies.

It might matter a little more when it comes to what graduate school someone attended if they are trying to get into certain law firms, maybe some engineering firms. I doubt most people choose a doctor their family will use basing it on where they studied, usually the reputation is gained from work experience.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:57 PM

9 posts, read 29,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post

I'm from San Antonio and have lived in Austin most my life. My brother has always been well known around the Austin area. Hes 13 years older then me and I've gotten to have the typical Austin experience from a very young age. To me it's nothing new, and actually rather mundane. I'm trying to find what works for me and maybe that something could be in El Paso...

Old 10-11-2009, 11:06 PM

71 posts, read 346,042 times
OK, you are in Austin and you hate it and you think UTEP would be better for you. Did I get this straight?

We did not let our child go to UTEP. We sent him to NMSU. And when he was finished with College he went straight to Fort Worth. Nothing in El Paso was even worth applying for.

Don't know who pays for your College and I have a hard tiime figuring out why you would want to go to UTEP when you are going to Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso